Pellet Waggler Tutorial

shogun969

shogun969
Shaky Mach 3 rod, 4lb Maxima main line, .18 hooklength. Unloaded pellet waggler depending on distance say a 5SSG i tie an overhand loop in the main line about 4" long and within that loop i have a clip swivel that sits at the bottom of the loop. I then place 4 ssg above the swivel then the float adapter then 1 more ssg above the float adapter. Then i clip the hooklength onto the swivel 1ft, 2ft, 3ft etc.

Hook size usually a PR36 size 16 / 18 with a band tied in a loop hair rig style. I usually fish an 8mm pellet and feed the same and i drill all my 8mm hook pellets and pull the band through the hole in the pellet.

Mainly feed 4 - 6 pellets , cast, feed, twitch then wind in and start again. sometimes stopping feeding works as well as feeding more or less or even not at all.

Thats how i do it and it works most of the time LOL.
[:T]

NathanWatson

Originally posted by psylee

doesn't make sense that the stronger line will go before the lighter line thoughs a general rule I would always go lighter on the bottoms so if I do get snapped with say the line hitting the clip and the fish still going then the botton would go first.

It makes sense when you realise the maxima is thicker and stronger than stated and the middy and any other pre-stretched hooklength line is not normally as strong as stated and the hooklength, been so much shorter has a lot less stretch! I may use 5lb reel line, 12lb hooklength on the method, as do many others!

SUPERTED77

So which make of wagglers do people favour, there's that many types, some
Make a popping sound, some have flight vanes, others have anti-dive rings
near the bottom, I've tried it once, without success, but would like to give
It a proper bash.

dumdum

Originally posted by shogun969

Shaky Mach 3 rod, 4lb Maxima main line, .18 hooklength. Unloaded pellet waggler depending on distance say a 5SSG i tie an overhand loop in the main line about 4" long and within that loop i have a clip swivel that sits at the bottom of the loop. I then place 4 ssg above the swivel then the float adapter then 1 more ssg above the float adapter. Then i clip the hooklength onto the swivel 1ft, 2ft, 3ft etc.

Hook size usually a PR36 size 16 / 18 with a band tied in a loop hair rig style. I usually fish an 8mm pellet and feed the same and i drill all my 8mm hook pellets and pull the band through the hole in the pellet.

Mainly feed 4 - 6 pellets , cast, feed, twitch then wind in and start again. sometimes stopping feeding works as well as feeding more or less or even not at all.

Thats how i do it and it works most of the time LOL.
[:T]

^^^^ see the fourth line up in his sig for how well 4lb mainline does [;)]

BAD H

Pelletmeister
Thanks for the reply Nathan, have a couple of Normarks but always been a bit scared to use them for this, i will try on a venue with smaller fish first and the 3lb line.
My normal Boddy set up 6lb Supplex, .17 or .19 Ngauge hooklength, Fox 11' or 12' Pellet wag
Fisheries with smaller stamp 4lb Maxima .17 Ngauge, shakey Mach 3 11' or 12'
Always use Guru pellet wag hooks in 16 & 18

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Maxima line is very stretchy and forgiving and I can see where it would come into it's own in this method

NathanWatson

Try having the bulk of the shot above the float! I like the styrofoam unloaded ones, preferably with flights for fishing shallow in good conditions, longer thinner fliats like drennan giant insert crystals for deeper and in wind.

iammrb

Site Supporter
Originally posted by dumdum

rod setup is 11ft mach 3 pellet waggler rod, mach 3 040 with 4lb sensor, preston waggler adaptor
Do you get any/many tangles with the adapter. I always did and swapped to using a running float with gripper stops the other day and hand none and I fished the wag for 6 hours.

Want to know if it's coincidence or my casting

Putter

We say you learn something new everyday and I've certainly learned something tonight about the pellet wag reading Nathan's posts.
I've had success using the pellet wag, but would never have thought of fishing so light.
Bang goes my 8lb Preston power max and my 7lb guru engage.
Cheers Nathan.

Pontius Pilate

mufc ok
yes i use a 6 pound mainline and a 9 pound hooklengh matched with the preston pellet wags fitted to the line with the preston preston pellet wag float attachment kit and never ever get snapped so ill be spooling my reel up with 4 pound maxima next it so much easyer and more accurate casting with a lower dia reel line

BAD H

Pelletmeister
One thing i've picked up, i always use grippa stops. If you open the gap between those above the float and those below the fish feel less resistance and instead of rejecting the pellet take it more confidently, resulting in more wrap rounds and less quick dinks on the float

JimmyT85

Scouse Novice
is it better to use unloaded wagglers with shot, or loaded wagglers with float stops?

What are the pro's/con's of both?

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
It might be me but I find loaded pellet wagglers tend to dive more than shotted ones?

iammrb

Site Supporter
Agreed but the new 1's by Daiwa & Preston have anti dive discs on that counteract the dive and aid self hooking

Putter

Used the Preston ones with float stops on a double loop with stops at each knot and think they are excellent with the anti dive discs, will certainly be easier to cast now im gonna use the lighter line.

samuel2222

8lb line 6lb hooklenth, banded 6-8mm pellet on hair and size 14 hook. Feed while setting up probs about 20 mins. Catapult few pellets Then in goes waggler at about 2 foot deep. After 20 seconds feed in-front of it, then reel waggler into feed. I may repeat this again before fully reeling in. If I see swirls on surface will go as shallow as possible, and if I don't I will increase hook depth half foot at a time. I start by feeding 2 or 3 pellets and will increase if I see action. I find margin pellet fishing the best. As you can feed accurate by hand and see every swirl. After you have done this for a while you can roughly guess how deep the fish are by mini swirls. If I am having a very good day I will loosen the drag slightly more as my arms are pretty tired. When I pick my swim I check for any signs of fish. If I am fishing far out I always drop pellets in the margins to my left and right. As later in the day this can be gold. Them Preston wagglers with the different colour tips are the best. Them bandit tools are probably the best tool I have ever bought. And always pre-make lots of hooklenths at home. Storing them around pipe lagging is the cheapest method if you don't have a rig board. I will just chuck any left over pellets in a tub in the freezer for next time.

n45ratt

Drennan S7 11ft with mach3xt reel 7lb maver Jurassic 3-4SSG maver poly with mayo attachments,,micro swivel to an 18inch hook length with a 16 Pr36 hair rigged 6-8mm

Maver powerlite 12ft with map ACSfd sensor 8lb up to 6SSG maver poly with mayo attachments.. Micro swivel to a 2ft hook length to a 14 pr36 hair rigged pellet up to 10mm

Fire pellets twice cast slighty beyond feed area .. Twitch.. Feed twitch

Start again

Feed when playing fish .. Feed when unhooking ...

Repeat process

Works a great for me

woolavy

I have 2 set-ups, 1 for proper bagging and/or where the fish average over 7lb-ish.

1)6lb sensor or maxima, 0.20 matchteam hooklength, size 14 or 16 B911x, drennan S7 power waggler rod. This is the 'heavy' set-up.
2)4lb maxima/sensor, 0.16 matchtam hooklength to a 16 B911 hook. Drennan S7 carp waggler rod. This for smaller fish venues.

As for feed, 6mm or 8mm feed and hooklengths, which are 8 or 12" long with bands on the hook. Float choice varies, but I an using the loaded middy ones at the minute. But do use Styrofoam unloaded ones too.

dave brittain 1

Dave nothing has changed since the original article in 2006 other than the rods and the use of a 12in twisted loop to place the shot onto. You also don't need to feed as much as 6-8pints is more than enough for most venues

I rarely use loaded floats and if I do they are the Drennan Crystal Insert puddle chuckers on venues where the carp have wised up.

Rods and reels are Shakespeare Mach 3's 11ft rod for fish up to double figures, 12ft for longer casts and carp from 4 lbs to 20lbs on venues such as Viaduct Carey lake and Larford Speci.

Main line is 3-4lb Maxima, floats are my own styro wagglers or drake pellet wagglers

http://www.fishing-world.co.uk/matchtips/fishing-the-dumpy-waggler.html

Last edited by a moderator:

gillsmike

Has anyone seen this months match fishing mag with the underwater article on pellet wag fishing. They concluded that loaded floats with anti dive discs were better than unloaded floats and what surprised me the most was how feeding and then casting wasn't a necessity as by the time the float landed the feed pellets had already sunk. I actually tend to cast then feed as I tend to be just that bit more accurate feeding that way (unless fishing to an island in which case I always feed then cast then feed again) and have always caught just as well that way. Like other methods the fish will tell you what they prefer as sometimes its better to feed then cast and other days its better to cast then feed. I've also used the middy popper wags for the last couple if years and have found that feathered down correctly they surface just as well as unloaded floats, I have less tangles and by having a 6 inch gap between float stops the bites tend to be more positive especially on higher pressured waters.