Pellet Waggler Tutorial

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Come on then, how do you fish the Pellet Waggler?

Most of us know what one is and that you attach it to your line, with a shallow hooklength underneath it, then cast in with a few free samples fired around it with a catapult, and you'll bag up - or not as is often the case [8D]

What are the secrets to success, how do you use yours, what line, hooks, hair rigged, banded, or straight on the hook, what size hook even?

And then there's the feeding to make the method successful ......

So hows about we collectively put together all our ideas to create our own Pellet Waggler Tutorial .... over to you [:T]

Barfer

not sure if this is a pi$$ take??

but, had some fun this morning.
arrived, started firing 4 x 8mm coarse pellets at a target around 35 foot away while setting up, not to any time schedule.

same on the banded hair about two foot under.

caught fish [:W]

*edit

6lb line, 8lb hooklength size 14 of some new korum banded hairs - of which 3 gave up on the loop to loop, not happy. possibly my fault or a bad batch?
i dont set myself a timer for the feed, sometimes its quick sometimes slow.

Last edited:

psylee

well the way I do it obviously use a nice stiff ish pellet waggler rod to get the waggler out,i personally use an 11ft drennan pellet wag rod with a descent real again I use a preston 4000 reel loaded with 10 lb preston main line and normally around a 7 lb bottom as you normally get larger fish on the p wagg.i set my float approx. 2/3 ft away from the hook which is normally banded pr 36 with either a 6 or 8mm pellet depending on venue.i like to prime the area before hand so ill feed it for may be 20 mins firing 6 to 8 pellets into the area I want to fish and wait to see if anything swirls/tops in the area whilst fishing another line or area or method.Once I see fish in the area I will continue to feed for a few minutes more to get the fishes confidence and the switch over to p wagg and throw it slightly further than I wish to fish and twitch it back into the right area.ill twitch maybe 3 times if nothing reel in fire half a dozen pellets back in the same area and repeat process,if nothing after 4 or 5 casts then ill switch back to what I was doing and keep firing over until I get a few fish topping/swirling and then try again.

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Definately not a pi$$ take - it seems such a good idea bearing in mind the collective knowledge we have to put together a tutorial on a subject.
If it works and the contributions come in, I'll start another one on another subject shortly [:T]

Barfer

Originally posted by Dave

Definately not a pi$$ take - it seems such a good idea bearing in mind the collective knowledge we have to put together a tutorial on a subject.
If it works and the contributions come in, I'll start another one on another subject shortly [:T]
sorry dave, added some more above [:)]

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
No worries smee, thanks for the contribution [:T]

NathanWatson

Well, very rare i'd feed over the float! Feed first, cast over it! Always clip up, 3lb maxima reel line, 0.18mm middy low viz hooklength, size 20, like a 13 fox series 2 hook with hair rigged band 8mm from hook.

iammrb

Site Supporter
Mainline - 6lb Daiwa Sensor.
Size 18 Guru pellet waggler hook tied to 0.15 preston powerline with a bait band.(although I used the Guru pre-tied pellet waggler rigs on Monday & was very impressed)
Preston Dura Pellet Waggler float set between float/gripper stops.

1, Feed 4-6 hard 8/11mm pellets (dependent on distance/conditions)
2, cast into feed - wait 10 secs
3, feed in front of float then reel into feed - wait 10 secs
4, feed in front of float then reel into feed
Start again from 1

geofflukins

The pellet waggler is all about feeding and casting. Not that I am an expert by any means but the first couple of times I have used it I haven't done too bad. Normally use quite a large waggler such as a 6g or 8g depending on how far you need to cast. I started at a depth of 2 foot and then adjusted until I found the depth they were feeding at. As for hooklengths I normally use a hair rigged 4" length and use a 8mm pellet either with a pellet band or a quickstop, don't think it matters which. As I said feeding and casting is the key and before you cast you need to catapult out 4 or 5 8mm pellets into the area you are going to fish. Then over cast the float so that it falls slightly beyond where you catapulted the pellets. If you don't get a bite after a few seconds then reel back slightly so that you are pulling the waggler back into the area you catapulted the pellets. Then you need to catapult out a further lot of pellets. If no bites then reel in a redo the process all over again. Its not a lazy way of fishing and you need to keep casting and feeding all the way through the session. A good lot of feed pellets is essential as is a good catapult. The rod I use is a Maver Abyss 11 foot rod. There are quite a few videos on YouTube on this way of fishing that are worth a look. As I said at the beginning I am no expert and have only fished this way a couple of times but I found it a great way of picking out the bigger carp and managed a respectable 40lbs plus on my first attempt.

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
One thing I see so far is it's the larger pellets and smaller hook approach

Barfer

sorry cant edit after 5 mins..

also, i dont reel in too much, my float is out there a lot longer than the feed / cast /feed / twitch / feed / reel in that a lot of people seem to do.

preston dura pellet wag 10g, and my hook was a 16 not 14.

Last edited:

BAD H

Pelletmeister
Nathan if your'e clipping up 3lb line and casting straight into feeding fish where youv'e just fed and you get an instant take upon the float landing, dont you get snapped or is that why you use Normarks for the soft action to cushion the take. I dont think i could go that light on my pellet wag rods as the action is stiffer than that of the Normarks. Do you use anything other than the Normarks and do you step up your gear when doing so ?

NathanWatson

Leaving bait still and feeding over float will lead to missed bites/liners and foulhooked fish.

psylee

so why is your hooklength stonger than your main line ?

surely it should be the other way round

NathanWatson

Don't get snapped mate and yes, the normarks are great but also use shakespeare mach 3s when i want an 11ft rod and they are fine too. May use 4lb line for bagging doubles but caught loads of mid doubles on the 3, never get snapped, plenty of stretch and the 6lb hooklength, which is the length of the depth i'm fishing will go first!

psylee

doesn't make sense that the stronger line will go before the lighter line thoughs a general rule I would always go lighter on the bottoms so if I do get snapped with say the line hitting the clip and the fish still going then the botton would go first.

dumdum

the bigger the carp the bigger the pellets you feed, f1's/smallish carp maybe 6mm with 8mm in band (size doesnt really matter, just try and find what works) 8mm i find is a nice size for most proper carp fishing, with 8 or 11mm in the band (gardner latex bands are good, altho the maver latex dental style ones last an age, far longer than the drennans altho i love the micro drennan bands

feed, cast, feed a couple of feet short, twitch the bait to just lift the pellet 6" and repeat, i tend to do this a few times with 30 seconds between every 4-6 8mm pellets, generally with a 8mm in the band to a 16 pr36 with 0.19 hooklink (0.17 powerline) - takes can be wrap rounds so i tend to keep the rod at a slight angle instead of straight out infront, maybe 30 degrees off straight ahead, i also grab the reel between my thighs while feeding, its surprising how violent takes can be sometimes when there avin' it

rod setup is 11ft mach 3 pellet waggler rod, mach 3 040 with 4lb sensor, preston waggler adaptor and a middy 6, 8 or 10g loaded pellet waggler with a snap swivel 3" below it, then i have 1 ft, 2 ft and 3ft hooklinks made up, i will shorten these if i need shallower and find the fish

thats my general setup for pellet waggler........

and yes i too use a lighter mainline than hooklink, the 1/2/3ft of hooklink always gets broke first if im gonna get busted, it just works as a setup and i have stuck with it

Last edited: