Pellet Waggler Rod Shortlist Opinions

Fishfinderuk

Site Supporter
I bought a 11ft shimano x5 pellet wag and I've been very impressed with it so far,light,stiff,very good line pick up.i think I paid around £115 from leigh tackle and bait. Much better rod than the tricast excellence i was using previous, and a decent price for a nice rod.i would recommend adding to the short list.

Fishfinderuk

Site Supporter
I was in the local tackle shop over the weekend and they happened to have the 10' ignitions in and I had a waggle and they seemed very light and nice and thin. Giving it a waggle it all seemed pretty good, so much so that I ended up buying one on impulse.

I also purchased a couple of the Cadence CS4's on their BOGOF deal. Hopefully get a chance to test them both out on the weekend and see how it handles the lumps at my local lake. Thinking if its not quite up to the challenge I can make do and look to upgrade to the Cadence in the future.

Thanks for all the advice and opinions.
I use the cadence cs10 for waggler decent for the pellet wag,to quick for my feeder rods.

frozengiblet

A little update.

I managed to get some time this week to do a bit of pellet waggler work with the ignition. I have to say for the price I was quite impressed.

I was only doing short cast of 15 - 20 m with 5 lb maxima chameleon line and a 4 gram pellet waggler and it casts nice and accurate, even when it got a bit gusty the casting was still accurate.

The strike action was also good. I did miss a few bites but most of these were due to my reaction times but the response could be better but at this price I’m more than happy with it. It’s miles better than my other rods I have around the £40 mark.

The rod also powered up nicely when playing the fish and dealt with the lunges well. I also like the flat top to the handle which did help me to keep the rod under control when playing the fish.

The one negative I will say is that I did find it lacking in the feel I got back through the rod. I found that I couldn’t tell what was happening on the end of the line and had to rely on looking at what the rod was doing to get a better feel for things. It’s hard to describe but was a sense of detachment. I had my cadence 10ft feeder with me for pellet and bomb and was landing fish of the same size and found it better for playing fish in general but that’s to be expected for the price difference but in this particular I had a better feeling through the rod of knowing what the fish was doing and where it was going without having to check the rod tip as well which i needed to do on the ignition.

overall I’m very happy with the ignition and am looking forward to more sessions on it. It does intrigue me as to how good the pricey options in the Preston range would be if this is the budget end of their line.

I have to say that my experience of the Cadence CS4 reel I had wasn’t as positive.

I bought a 3000 and 4000 reel on the BOGOF offer cadence has on its website.

I have to agree with what some others have said that the spools do seem to be slightly smaller than other manufacturers but it wasn’t an issue to me and didn’t affect my use. Plus each reel came with a spare spool which was a nice addition.

The line lay out of the box was not great and I found it favoured the bottom of the spool. But both reels had washers to adjust which got it pretty even.

The biggest issue for me was although being careful to not overfill the spool and thinking I had been a bit cautious with how far I filled it I still have issues with line coming off too easily and getting tangled under the spool and around the shaft. This was easy to fix with the spool removed but was a headache I didn’t need in the middle of waggler fishing. I plan to remove a good few meters of line and see if this improves things, which I’m hopeful it will.

The other issue I found annoying and probably my biggest gripe with the reel is the fact that the bail arm would open properly for about 1/4 of the spool. I also found it annoying that it was the 1/4 over the handle (setup for right handed fishing). This is where I like to open the bail arm as I find it easier to open in this orientation with my left hand and gives me best access with my right to stop the line and feather the float in on a cast. I found it a bit cack-handed to do it and get the bail arm to lock open and have no obstructions to stop the line. It did cause a few too many hard landings which caused the float and line to dive deep.

Despite the negatives above I did like the feel and retrieve of the reel. It’s was very fast and managed the bigger fish nicely.

The drag setup was nice and easy to dial in to my liking and easy to adjust while playing fish. The clutch let line out nicely and smoothly when fish made a break for it.
I also quite liked the fact that the handle is attached by screwing the handle on as appears to screwing a bolt into the handle. I tend to do most of my back winding on the spool and bail arm but did a bit on the handle and had no issues or concerns with the handle coming under with the reverse action. I did make sure it was done nice and tight at the start of the session. I also like the location and size of the anti reverse switch it was easy to find when fish was on and when landing.

I would say that for the BOGOF price of £22.50 per reel it was acceptable. If the line tangle issues can be sorted out with a bit less line that will help. The big issue would be the bail arm. I’ll have to see if it’s the same on the 4000 I have and if I can learn to live with it. It not they might reside themselves to being the spare/guest angler setup. I would definitely say that the performance at the full price of £44.99 wasn’t what I would expect and from my limited experience there are better performing reels around that price point.

So I hope some of you might find it useful or maybe you think I’m mad based on your own experiences of the same kit, but each to their own.

I would say thanks to all on the recommendations on the rod I’m very happy with it. And for the reel not so good and I have to admit if I was to buy another cadence reel I would definitely want to try one out before I buy and that the performance of this reel has put me off a bit.