Pellet Waggler reel advice.

MunchMyStump

Site Supporter
So Mrs. M and I have, as I'm sure are all aware, started fishing together. I do get out on my own now and again though for sanity's sake.
I bought a 10' Drennan Vertex pellet waggler just a couple of weeks ago and gave it an outing bashing trout out of Tom's pond. The rod was very capable and I was impressed with how it handled itself. So impressed in fact that when @Markywhizz had his 12' offering up for sale I couldn't resist. Mrs. M now has the 10' and I will use the 12' but I will need a reel to match as she now has the reel I used (shimano).
Budget of around £100 and if anyone is parting with a reel that will qualify just let me know.

Cheers all

Munchy

OldTaff

Site Supporter
If it helps I use the same reel for fishing the pellet waggler that I do for method feeder or stick on the river, just swap spools for different line strengths.

It’s one of a pair of cheap rear drag Abu Cardinal 55’s that at are donkeys years old and I got off FB marketplace but are mechanically smooth and light in the hand.

Don‘t think you really need anything particularly special for pellet waggler work so if no one on here has anythimg maybe try FB?

Markywhizz

Clueless member
Site Supporter
I like Korum reels but I’ve never had £100 to spend on a reel. I would say Daiwas are the most consistently favoured on this forum. Cadence reels are nice but you would be better to wait for them to bring back their buy one get one free offer. They do that quite regularly.

robert d

Allways trying to improve
Site Supporter
So Mrs. M and I have, as I'm sure are all aware, started fishing together. I do get out on my own now and again though for sanity's sake.
I bought a 10' Drennan Vertex pellet waggler just a couple of weeks ago and gave it an outing bashing trout out of Tom's pond. The rod was very capable and I was impressed with how it handled itself. So impressed in fact that when @Markywhizz had his 12' offering up for sale I couldn't resist. Mrs. M now has the 10' and I will use the 12' but I will need a reel to match as she now has the reel I used (shimano).
Budget of around £100 and if anyone is parting with a reel that will qualify just let me know.

Cheers all

Munchy
I quite like the daiwa ninja £60 bobco ,in stock to. I use the older model not the Lt. Most Daiwa reels are good

rd115

плак-плак
Site Supporter
Not quite the £50 Bobco were churning them out for a few months back, but £80 for a Daiwa Theory is still a bargain. Magsealed too so will run smooth for years. Recommend 2500 size.

Daiwa Matchwinner would also be a solid choice in 2508 size.
Amazon product

rd115

плак-плак
Site Supporter
@MunchMyStump

What a coincidence ? This the reel i use for PW.

Adders27

I’ve got the Vertex Carp Feeder rod 11ft superb rod.
I use my Daiwa Ninja 3000 and it’s a great match with 6lb line. For your Pellet Waggler the same reel loaded with say 4 or 6lb line is a good match
Avoid larger reels because the Vertex have small reel seats ( my 4000 size reels don’t fit )
I have also the Shimano Catana 2500 FD and that’s a nice match with the Vertex

MunchMyStump

Site Supporter
I agree that a smaller but hardy reel is a must. Given the amount of casting required it must be both pretty lightweight yet robust enough to handle decent sized fish. Cadence are out of stock of their CS6 line of reels so I will just hang on... There is a certain sale coming up very shortly (y)

MunchMyStump

Site Supporter
Well, I just decided to take a punt on the Cadence CS6 3000 BOGOF deal. £60 for 2 reels and if they are not up to the job I'll pass em on to someone and lose little if any of my investment. Weighing in at 247g they should be light enough for long sessions and the 7+1 bearing system should cope with lumps.
Lets see when they arrive...
Thank you for all your input chaps (y)

Munchy

DomCrtr1975

An Idiot looking for his Village!
I like Korum reels but I’ve never had £100 to spend on a reel. I would say Daiwas are the most consistently favoured on this forum. Cadence reels are nice but you would be better to wait for them to bring back their buy one get one free offer. They do that quite regularly.

...a wise man has spoken!

Reelmaker

I’ve recently bought the Nexave 1000 ,this model has a small switch at the back of the rotor,to switch on or off,but does seem very fiddly to use this is the only issue .I never use the brake as all the fishing I do is for small roach dace,Reelmaker.