Pellet waggler depth

rudd

Site Supporter
How do you decide depth to fish to start with?
I have a handfull of various sized NG pel!et waggler floats plus a few found hanging in trees etc.
Size of float determines casting distance
Normally start a foot deep and will shallow up if I see swirls.
Also how do you set up your rigs?
I tie a log loop with small loop tied in end to attach hook length, onto this use a weighted pellet waggler attachment into whish slots a bb, on the other side hold inp!ace with a no3 shot or bigger if I want float sitting lower or using bigger float.
Hooklenght all tied at various lengths so float can be pushed right up to small loop with a sbort hooklenght to fish inches under surface.

My problem is deciding when to go deeper and how deep would you go before using a normal waggler with droppers?

Dusty

How do you decide depth to fish to start with?
I have a handfull of various sized NG pel!et waggler floats plus a few found hanging in trees etc.
Size of float determines casting distance
Normally start a foot deep and will shallow up if I see swirls.
Also how do you set up your rigs?
I tie a log loop with small loop tied in end to attach hook length, onto this use a weighted pellet waggler attachment into whish slots a bb, on the other side hold inp!ace with a no3 shot or bigger if I want float sitting lower or using bigger float.
Hooklenght all tied at various lengths so float can be pushed right up to small loop with a sbort hooklenght to fish inches under surface.

My problem is deciding when to go deeper and how deep would you go before using a normal waggler with droppers?

Not a very helpful answer but I just go with how I feel on the day. If I can see they are taking it just under the surface then as shallow as I can get away with.
If I can see fish are feeding but im not getting bites then I’ll add depth until I start to get them going regularly.

chefster

Shedster!!
Site Supporter
I start at 3ft and see what happens, venues I fish sometimes you need to even go to 5ft to catch, it kind of depends on the depth of your venue a bit

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
Personally I start about two foot deep and come shallower as the session progressors. Not often but, sometimes as more and more ( silly ) carp have been caught they can drop down in the water even though more and more bait is going in. Its better if you can catch closer in with smaller pellets as small pellets sink slower therefore keeping the carp up in the water for longer. Hope this helps. ?

Rudd .... Those floats hanging from the trees are Ukzero1's. They are his earings. ???

Fred Davis

If you watch some of the top rods they will have 3 pellet wags set up all at different depths then it's a case of swapping between the rods, now I always thought two was enough fishing with one and the other as a spare, however on one match I found the fish too late at around 10 inches deep the rod was being ripped around proper lumps the 18inch rig the swim seemed devoid, not a sign on the surface, if you want to compete having at least 3 rods means more time in the water and less on the bank adjusting your rig and on deep pegs always set up the slow sinking wag as well as this can be deadly, so at times 4 rods minimum, if your a pleasure bod well does it matter?

D

Deleted member 21081

I will always feed for an hour before fishing it, unless others are catching well. A couple of early fish often spook the shoal and are worth nothing, be patient.

Some waters, some days they’ll take a suspended bait.

Some waters, some days it must be falling through the water.

Some days like @pauln I’m adjusting every cast.

It’s the most busy of methods. If you have a second to relax, you’re wasting time.

Keep feed falling through the water constantly.

3 hours in. Stop feeding and fish deeper. You’ll catch as the float registers.

The answer to your question, for a good pellet waggler angler, is simply that there is no answer to your question.

Phew, where did 5 hours go?

Northantslad

'Any indications?
Rubber float stops (2 each side for added security) 4 inches apart trap the float on a quick change swivel. Then loop to loop hooklength.
Its a method I fish when I have to/its a no brainer when to do so.

Can honestly say that I have never caught fish doing it deeper than two foot. Although I think this is due to my feeding- I naturally tend start at 2 foot and shallowing up when liners or swirls happen, thus tend to feed quickly-as soon as the pellet has completed its fall and plenty, which I think brings the fish up higher in the water. Rather than fishing it deeper and thus feeding less (pellet takes longer to fall). From that you will see that I'm not that good at searching out depths with it, but I do manage to get them going at about 18 inches. I know this is wrong, but I tend to try and make the fish compete at a depth I am confident with, rather than where they may be confident.

Feed, wait, cast, feed shorter, twitch, reel in, feed original spot, cast, twitch etc.
This method in my opinion is far more likely to get going quick if you are able to/permitted to feed the line whilst fishing another one. In a match situation where you are not permitted to feed another line, I give it ten minutes max if I have left lines that are likely/more like to produce. I do like to and exploit the bomb underneath principle, but on days where using both methods shows they aren't having it shallow or on the bottom, then I know the carp are at a depth where I need to be doing something else that I can do with confidence.

map

Can depend on the venue. It's not always about the depth. Most of the time is how confident the fish are willing to come to the crash from the Waggler. Barston and Hayfield respond well to a hanging bait. On other venues it's can be all about the splash, so bites can be pretty instant and will have the rod being dragged in before it's on a rest. Use the smallest waggler you can to reach where your feeding and make sure the lines fairly tight between rod tip and float. Generally I start with a hooklength at 2 and a half feet.

chefster

Shedster!!
Site Supporter
Rubber float stops (2 each side for added security) 4 inches apart trap the float on a quick change swivel. Then loop to loop hooklength.
Its a method I fish when I have to/its a no brainer when to do so.

Can honestly say that I have never caught fish doing it deeper than two foot. Although I think this is due to my feeding- I naturally tend start at 2 foot and shallowing up when liners or swirls happen, thus tend to feed quickly-as soon as the pellet has completed its fall and plenty, which I think brings the fish up higher in the water. Rather than fishing it deeper and thus feeding less (pellet takes longer to fall). From that you will see that I'm not that good at searching out depths with it, but I do manage to get them going at about 18 inches. I know this is wrong, but I tend to try and make the fish compete at a depth I am confident with, rather than where they may be confident.

Feed, wait, cast, feed shorter, twitch, reel in, feed original spot, cast, twitch etc.
This method in my opinion is far more likely to get going quick if you are able to/permitted to feed the line whilst fishing another one. In a match situation where you are not permitted to feed another line, I give it ten minutes max if I have left lines that are likely/more like to produce. I do like to and exploit the bomb underneath principle, but on days where using both methods shows they aren't having it shallow or on the bottom, then I know the carp are at a depth where I need to be doing something else that I can do with confidence.
feeding less pellets will make them compete higher in the water, if you feed a lot of pellets they'll go deeper...and on big waters like Clattercote etc the fish can quite often be as deep ad 5ft if you're only prepared to fish 18 inches sometimes you are missing out on a lot of fish

Last edited:

Aston_fisher

Site Supporter
I fish fairly similar to how I would surface fish. I scout the area for activity (if possible) and feed for a while to try and get them competing and confident, then I'll start at about 12" and go from there. I often just use 8mm coppens, nothing fancy.

Banded_Nipple

When they're taking it as soon as it hits the water, it's not actually about 'depth' but the 'distance' from the float.

I've had them at 4ft 'deep' but actually the bait had been taken almost instantly, so the depth sometimes doesn't come into it if you think about it like that.

Wise Owl

Account Locked
I never start deep in summer, spring and Autumn maybe but have never had any probs in warmer days starting at 18 inch ?