Pellet Waggler, And the fear of killing my peg. Am I fishing the wrong venues?

Fugley-fisher

Fishing the stour dorset, most probably!
Site Supporter
Thought you were going to say that, I've an appointment on the 25th on spring trying to catch them big roach, last time I was there I tried the pellet wag but the carp were just sunbathing mugged a couple, but what was interesting I was getting some strange bites and hit a couple on 8mm pellets roach of pound ish, so I'm changing the approach to target them.

Neil ofthe nene

Doing things differently.
Site Supporter
Pellet waggler fishing is just one of those methods I'm really struggling to come to grips with. It just seems that I never find myself in situations where theres a mass amount of fish on top, And if there is they don't really seem to be taking to the method. On top of this, The idea of pinging handfuls of pellets into my peg in which I also have a minimum of 2 pole lines + a feeder setup is just a daunting prospect due to the fear of overfeeding and the ultimate demise of my peg.

I'm unsure if I'm just thinking about it all the wrong way, It's a method that works only on occasion or I'm just not fishing venues that're stocked well enough with fish that're willing to get into a frenzy over the sound off a bombardment of pellets hitting the surface. I just can't come to grips with what I keep being told time and time again can be a deadly method.

Any insight on this?
Like many specific methods fishing the pellet waggler is very much a confidence thing. Those with confidence in the method will think nothing of fishing it for an hour, even two without getting a bite. They expect, even know that eventually the fish will turn up. It can be a deadly method, but not an instant one. Although slightly different, Jon Whincup will think nothing of fishing the pole UITW for two hours biteless. But he will more than make up for those two blank hours later in the match.

Far from spoiling a swim you are in fact feeding two swims. The first and obvious is UITW, the second is the pellets that reach the deck lay a bed for those fish that want to be there. Thus while you may eventually give up on the PW you have a swim hopefully ripe for a legering approach.

Normally you will be fishing PW way beyond your pole or ordinary waggler line so that these spots cannot be spoilt by your PW feeding.

For me fishing the PW, something I am not patient enough to do well (lacking confidence), is like fishing the margins. I am confident that the fish will turn up close to the bank and so am willing to work out how to make them or how to get them taking my baited hook when they do. What I do believe though is that when the water is sufficiently warm the fish will be both in the margins and willing to (eventually) take the bait on a PW.

The best way to gain any confidence, or kill it completely, in the PW is to set out for a day when that is the only method available to you. Leave all other tackle at home and force yourself to fish it until it works or you go home after five or six hours of frustration. Normally it will be the former.

Carp are fairly predictable and no matter what venue you fish, if it has carp in then at some time in the day in the warmer months they will respond to repeated feeding of pellets little and often. You may not see visible signs but I guarantee that competition will bring them from the bottom to at least mid-water. Change depth, change size of pellet and change number and frequency of feed to get the right combination for the day. Tomorrow it may be different.

Every now and then try a feeder or bomb just in case the fish stubbornly refuse to rise in the water, but keep feeding.

rudd

Serial Blanker
Site Supporter
On one of our club lakes I am the only person I know of who fishes pellet waggler. Club anglers who fish it use method, carp rigs or floating baits.
I figured that on most warm days if not being caught on top or bottom, they are in between, climbing a tree I could see they were sub surface.
First time I fished pw there I was anxious.
After feeding for an hour, a swirl, then another. Eventually wallop, rod almost pulled out of hand!
On another occasion, nothing being caught, I turned up in evening, cast out pw without feeding and fish first cast!
I start shallow and if no indication such as swirls will alter rig to go deeper by around six to eight inches for ten minutes, then same again and again. If nothing at this point, out goes a bomb, just to see for a few casts, then start pw process from start.

CarpCatcher86

Unless you are fishing a well stocked commercial fishery, you may be fishing the wrong venues.
As @Arry said, feeding little and often is required to keep the fish up in the water and to keep the fish competing for your bait/loose feed.
But this method only works if there are plenty of fish in the water to compete for your bait in the first place.

Anglingman

Mr Ginster
Site Supporter
From your description the venue does not seem ideal for PW however neither do you need a "F1 frenzy". If your venue is known for PW fishing and conditions are good then start pinging 2-3 pellets once or twice a minute. you are looking for tell tale swirls. You can fish your other pole lines whilst doing this. Also keep an eye on anglers around you, are they feeding the PW ? Are they catching ? are fish showing in their pegs ?

So with all this info you now have a good insight. If the line does not seem to be working cast a bomb over the baited area. look for any liners or bites to give you signs of fish. If none what have you lost ? Nothing, you've actually learned they are not having it and you have a bed of bait down if they do turn up.

Concentrate on your other lines whilst keeping your wits about you. They can turn on so be prepared to fish/feed the method if it becomes apparent.
Dont over think, its relatively simple method but does require high work rate but the rewards can be enormous

Wandle Wanderer

I use pellet waggler more than any other method.

I honestly think it is down to the venue, and really a little bit of luck and perseverance.

Ive been to a couple of venues where its almost instantaneous bites, but that's at well stocked venues, no matter the weather or conditions.

Two other venues where I've had a bite within the first hour and pulled out high teen carp, I've had nothing for the rest of the day.

That's even when there are fish very visible near the surface and in the upper levels.

Keep plugging away, varying your hooklength length, vary the waggler setup and just keep going. Sometimes they just don't want to take pellet and no matter where they are in the water they just want to feed from the bottom.

I just think no matter the method, sometimes you're going to blank!