Pellet Waggler, And the fear of killing my peg. Am I fishing the wrong venues?

RedRidingHood

Site Supporter
Pellet waggler fishing is just one of those methods I'm really struggling to come to grips with. It just seems that I never find myself in situations where theres a mass amount of fish on top, And if there is they don't really seem to be taking to the method. On top of this, The idea of pinging handfuls of pellets into my peg in which I also have a minimum of 2 pole lines + a feeder setup is just a daunting prospect due to the fear of overfeeding and the ultimate demise of my peg.

I'm unsure if I'm just thinking about it all the wrong way, It's a method that works only on occasion or I'm just not fishing venues that're stocked well enough with fish that're willing to get into a frenzy over the sound off a bombardment of pellets hitting the surface. I just can't come to grips with what I keep being told time and time again can be a deadly method.

Any insight on this?

Arry

Aitch, Cantankerous old gimmer with "Views"
Site Supporter
Only fire 2 or 3 pellets in at a time... s'what I was always told... keep em competing

RedRidingHood

Site Supporter
Only fire 2 or 3 pellets in at a time... s'what I was always told... keep em competing
Yes, It's how often I keep hearing to fire them which throws me off of using the method. Over the course of even half an hour, Thats a big pile of bait if they're not being taken.

Arry

Site Supporter
Every 30 seconds or so I'm told... to be fair it does work on prolific lakes, but it doesn't work everywhere

RedRidingHood

Site Supporter
Every 30 seconds or so I'm told... to be fair it does work on prolific lakes, but it doesn't work everywhere
Thats still 6 pellets a minute. Over a course of half an hour that's 180 pellets. A lot of excess feed laying about if the method doesn't turn on.
A lot of fisheries I fish are what I'd describe as 'Old School' commercials. No massive F1 stocked ponds, Just lesser stocked ponds with carp which are usually on the bigger side which makes me think that's where I'm going wrong. When I watch videos on Youtube a lot of these videos are set on high stock F1 frenzy fisheries.

Arry

Site Supporter
So.... don't fish that method then... or fish it away from your main lines of attack... if a method gets no response why continue with it...?

gingert76

Cebu, Philippines
to be fair you can fish teh bomb/feeder on the same line as well, will soon be able to tell if the fish are up or down, or moving as they usually do.
180 pellets to a 10lb carp and a great big mouth is nothing and its a method where if you arent holding your catty or casting then you arent doing it right. its amazing how a big carp can home in on a couple of pellets hitting the water.
Maybe change venues to see if that helps in the short term with your technique and how you learn the method as you cant learn it if you are not getting bites, like all methods it will work some days on not others

Ken the Pacman

Site Supporter
It works well on some venues on the right day and it can fail miserably on others.
I would expect to use a kilo of 6mm or 8mm depending on distance required per hour on a good venue.
Its an attacking method which requires a degree of confidence to work properly.

Fugley-fisher

Fishing the stour dorset, most probably!
Site Supporter
When I've decided to fish it I'll fish it past the pole line I'll prime it for 30 mins prior to trying it if after a dozen or so casts if no response, I'll chuck the method on that line give it 5 if no response bin it. If your seeing cruseing fish you can attempt to mug them with the pellet wagger instead, plopping a waggler about 10 minutes or whenever fish show is a great way to nick a bonus fish.

90sGear

Site Supporter
Your fishing for fish not feeding on the bottom but off bottom using this method so a build up of bait is irrelevant. Sometimes the fish feed in your bait where pinging other days it’s more a case of catching speculatively or casting too fish. You’ll cast a lot and most without a bit it’s a case of varying depths and feeding and if it’s not happening it’s not the method for the day.

chefster

Shedster!!
Site Supporter
Basically you can only fish 16m on a pole, if your fishing the pellet way at 25-30m it’s not interfering with it in any way , you can fish a method at 45m , then nothing is interfering with any swim 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️

Dropon

Have a look at Keith Easton fishing the pellet wag on the Cadence videos. Try varying the amount of feed and also the frequency. Like as been said it’s a busy method,but conditions have to be right for it to work. Best of luck because when they are on it brilliant fishing.

slaner

Site Supporter
was thinking exactly the same as you and had a session/lesson with a very good local angler and it was a game changer for me, a prolific venue with big carp, we shared the box so 1 hour on 1 hour off watching him, learnt more off the box than i did on it, feeding loads but only 3 pellets at a time what seemed like every minute, done about 6 pints in the six hours but it was one a chuck when they rocked up,put 358lb on the clicker but he caught most of them lol cracking days fishing,when it dried up we went on the bomb and pellet and picked up a few more on the same line

Total

Site Supporter
was thinking exactly the same as you and had a session/lesson with a very good local angler and it was a game changer for me, a prolific venue with big carp, we shared the box so 1 hour on 1 hour off watching him, learnt more off the box than i did on it, feeding loads but only 3 pellets at a time what seemed like every minute, done about 6 pints in the six hours but it was one a chuck when they rocked up,put 358lb on the clicker but he caught most of them lol cracking days fishing,when it dried up we went on the bomb and pellet and picked up a few more on the same line
At Viaduct?:unsure:

rudd

Serial Blanker
Site Supporter
Don’t worry about pellets going in, Other species will mop the pellets up.
Also try a bomb over line if not catching (and when catching).