Pellet Waggler Advice

CarpCatcher86

Hi guys, just after a little pellet waggler advice, mainline bs and float weight mainly.
4 5 or 6lb Maxima Chameleon is high on my list, also the 4.4 5 or 6lb Drennan Float Fish. From what I have read the Drennan line is perfect for stick float and pellet waggler as it floats. Not ideal for normal waggler fishing of course. Float weight is another thing confusing me.
Any advice appreciated.

OldTaff

Site Supporter
My current pellet waggler setup is 6lb Drennan Float Fish (can’t get Maxima locally) and 4g Drennan Shorty pellet wagglers with the anti-dive shims added.

Hooklengths are 0.15 Guru n-gauge to a size 16 Super MWG.

It sounds a bit on the heavy side but my local is solely stocked with carp, average 3lb-5lb and a heck of a lot of doubles, so you can’t really risk fishing too light.

CarpCatcher86

Thanks for the heads up guys. I have new gear on the way, now I just need the weather to behave it's self.

chefster

Shedster!!
Site Supporter
I personally use 5lb maxima....floats range from 2g upto 14 g , unloaded and loaded, I fish a variety of venues from smallish pools to big reservoirs, where you need to Chuck a long way , ...Hooklength is usually 0.19 Reflo, hooks are qm1,s in as big as I can get away with, from 14-10

dave brittain 1

Site Supporter
I personally use 5lb maxima....floats range from 2g upto 14 g , unloaded and loaded, I fish a variety of venues from smallish pools to big reservoirs, where you need to Chuck a long way , ...Hooklength is usually 0.19 Reflo, hooks are qm1,s in as big as I can get away with, from 14-10
Gazza you're an animal and I thought I was bad :ROFLMAO:

CarpCatcher86

Thanks again for the advice guys.
When I first heard about the pellet waggler method I thought it was all a well thought out con by some marketing expert to sell more/new gear.
My current float rod will handle 20g, and I did have a bit of a dabble with a short ish Drennan crystal chubber float and a bag of 8mm Dynamite Baits XL carp pellets. Now I have bought more specific gear including floats and a new rod (Shimano Carp Cruncher 12ft Float 10-30g for those interested)
I fancied giving it a proper go as I hate sitting still for too long on the bank.
I have even treated myself to a new Drennan Speedex net to make the most of my new Acolyte carp landing net handle.
Looking forward to everything arriving now and the weather improving. Surely it can't get any worse right?

OldTaff

Site Supporter
Thanks again for the advice guys.
When I first heard about the pellet waggler method I thought it was all a well thought out con by some marketing expert to sell more/new gear.
My current float rod will handle 20g, and I did have a bit of a dabble with a short ish Drennan crystal chubber float and a bag of 8mm Dynamite Baits XL carp pellets. Now I have bought more specific gear including floats and a new rod (Shimano Carp Cruncher 12ft Float 10-30g for those interested)
I fancied giving it a proper go as I hate sitting still for too long on the bank.
I have even treated myself to a new Drennan Speedex net to make the most of my new Acolyte carp landing net handle.
Looking forward to everything arriving now and the weather improving. Surely it can't get any worse right?

Being Welsh I’d say it can get worse. I remember vividly in my teens helping out at a local theatre for a show on the 2nd week of May - went in on a warm evening in t-shirt, came out 4 hours later to 6” of snow and buses unable to get up the hill to collect patrons.

Also ended up doing a BBQ for my wife’s birthday (24th May) before we moved to Kent under a hastily erected tarpaulin as a blizzard struck.

Good luck with the new kit - I guarantee if you are doing it properly you will most definitely have zero time for boredom or sitting still on the bank.

CarpCatcher86

I am also curious as to whether or not water depth is an important factor.
For example, does the pellet waggler method work better on water 6ft deep compared to water 12ft deep?

CarpCatcher86

In the end I went for the Shimano carp cruncher float rod, 12ft with a casting weight of 10-30g.
Has anyone here got/used one of these rods?