Pellet upon Severn

buygoodtackle

One thing I have found on the Thames and Avon is if you loose feed the noise attracts the bleak so my method is to start the session with 8 oranges of groundbait laced with a small amount of particles of your choice then run a float through with the weight well down the line, this tends to avoid most of the bleak and picks off the roach and any larger fish.

carphauler

Barbel Tickler
Expanders mate, been using them as a change bait, 4 and 6s, tried a banded Yesterday wasn't that good but neither were the conditions.

Total

Site Supporter
One thing I have found on the Thames and Avon is if you loose feed the noise attracts the bleak so my method is to start the session with 8 oranges of groundbait laced with a small amount of particles of your choice then run a float through with the weight well down the line, this tends to avoid most of the bleak and picks off the roach and any larger fish.
Don't you find the groundbait (and noise) in those quantities can be just as much as a dinner bell to the bleak as much as the loose feeding?

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
I’ve tried that a few times and it definitely works on its day in the right pegs but other times it just brings the bleak in even quicker if you get the mix even slightly too loose either wet or dry wise. I find with loose feeding hemp whilst it attracts plenty of bleak amongst the roach the bleak rarely take it on hook so it is more of a fail safe approach to avoiding them than the heavy groundbaiting. I mean there’s days you can’t get a feeder with a hidden hookbait through them so often seed baits is the only way.

On a side note in relation to the OP whilst I’ve caught bleak from the Thames, Wye, Warks Avon, Great Ouse, Dorset Stour and the Oxford canal I’ve never caught them from the Severn so must have got lucky on that front!

Total

Site Supporter
................On a side note in relation to the OP whilst I’ve caught bleak from the Thames, Wye, Warks Avon, Great Ouse, Dorset Stour and the Oxford canal I’ve never caught them from the Severn so must have got lucky on that front!
You've got a be good to catch them on the Severn!:love:...........I've never caught any, not at Bridgnorth anyway....:rolleyes:

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
They are such a pain that’s for sure. I suppose it’s ok really as thanks to hemp, tares, pellets etc you can easily avoid them and catch plenty of roach but it would be nice to be able to use other baits for more variety. Obviously you do catch other stuff on the likes of hemp as well but the overwhelming majority are roach which is fine for me as a roach addict but if you want to fish for like perch or bream you are a bit stuck as anything but seed baits get bleaked.
We had hemp and tares back in the eighties but, it wasn’t a popular bait. Most Trent anglers put there trust in a gallon of bronze maggots in those days. Hoping not to drop on bleak but, if they did they’d got a half decent chance of feeding them off with all the maggots they’d got. You’ve to remember though, 10 to 13lb was a good weight in those days. Early teens often won some large matches. Made up of roach and chub in the early days followed by hybrids as the power stations started to close. 😩

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
You've got a be good to catch them on the Severn!:love:...........I've never caught any, not at Bridgnorth anyway....:rolleyes:
You’ve answered your own question there Mark …… “ you’ve got to be good to catch them on the Severn……. Ive never caught any. “. 🤣🤣🤣

buygoodtackle

Don't you find the groundbait (and noise) in those quantities can be just as much as a dinner bell to the bleak as much as the loose feeding?
Surprisingly no, as it is a one off the bleak do not find anything falling through the water and move off whereas loose feeding is a regular "noise" and has food falling through the water.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
I’m trying different pegs/stretches at the moment. It is a bit steadier at quatford but even at Arley and HL there are sometimes bleak. I generally prefer my barbel fishing but as is happening this evening, every time I cast a feeder out there is an eruption of bleak on the surface.

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
I’m trying different pegs/stretches at the moment. It is a bit steadier at quatford but even at Arley and HL there are sometimes bleak. I generally prefer my barbel fishing but as is happening this evening, every time I cast a feeder out there is an eruption of bleak on the surface.
You wanna permanently borrow the Cormorants off our Southfield reservoir Zerkalo ? You’re quite welcome to them mate. They are fantastic at emptying a fishery of all its silvers. I’ll even pay their one way ticket. 🤣🤣

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Ah that’ll be it then we’re obviously not up to the task 😂 Not tried bridgenorth yet but I’ve not caught them at highley or Shrewsbury 🤔

We had hemp and tares back in the eighties but, it wasn’t a popular bait. Most Trent anglers put there trust in a gallon of bronze maggots in those days. Hoping not to drop on bleak but, if they did they’d got a half decent chance of feeding them off with all the maggots they’d got. You’ve to remember though, 10 to 13lb was a good weight in those days. Early teens often won some large matches. Made up of roach and chub in the early days followed by hybrids as the power stations started to close. 😩
I think it’s been a thing forever here (well at least since the 60s from family tales) as it’s always been the only sure fire way of avoiding them through the summer and usually well into the autumn. There are some swims on some stretches in certain conditions where you can fish different baits for at least parts of sessions and do well but most places most the time to be sure of a good day you have to go down the seed route.

, every time I cast a feeder out there is an eruption of bleak on the surface.
Thats an every session occurrence here if you use a cage or open ended feeder as some groundbait comes off or out on impact then they follow your bait down. Then it’s not long before the bleak eruptions start getting smashed by pike! It’s why I tend to use maggot feeders even with groundbait and then pack it in pretty tight to minimise how much comes out on the drop and often have 3 or 4 maggots on the hook to ensure there’s at least a couple still on if it gets down without a bleak hook up.

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
Ah that’ll be it then we’re obviously not up to the task 😂 Not tried bridgenorth yet but I’ve not caught them at highley or Shrewsbury 🤔

I think it’s been a thing forever here (well at least since the 60s from family tales) as it’s always been the only sure fire way of avoiding them through the summer and usually well into the autumn. There are some swims on some stretches in certain conditions where you can fish different baits for at least parts of sessions and do well but most places most the time to be sure of a good day you have to go down the seed route.

Thats an every session occurrence here if you use a cage or open ended feeder as some groundbait comes off or out on impact then they follow your bait down. Then it’s not long before the bleak eruptions start getting smashed by pike! It’s why I tend to use maggot feeders even with groundbait and then pack it in pretty tight to minimise how much comes out on the drop and often have 3 or 4 maggots on the hook to ensure there’s at least a couple still on if it gets down without a bleak hook up.
Have your Cormorants and Gooseanders been on a diet since the sixties pal ? We’ve a few dace and roach on the tidal Trent but, nowhere near the numbers you have. It’s a big fish river now. Barbel or bust on many stretches. My eyes are wide open listening to yourself and Zerkalo. 😳

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Have your Cormorants and Gooseanders been on a diet since the sixties pal ? We’ve a few dace and roach on the tidal Trent but, nowhere near the numbers you have. It’s a big fish river now. Barbel or bust on many stretches. My eyes are wide open listening to yourself and Zerkalo. 😳
We don’t seem to have that many cormorants but those we do have would do well to put much of a dent in the bleak numbers! I suppose it could be part of the reason we’ve got so many roach. If I were a cormorant I wouldn’t bother diving down a few feet to wrestle with a potentially quite heavy roach if I could pick off snack sized bleak virtually off the top all day with minimal effort 😅

Total

Site Supporter
We tend to shoot a lot of the bloody things down here Mick.....All on licence of course....:)(y)

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Going to go and try pellet (expanders and hard) on there tomorrow. Looking forward to it because when I go Barbel fishing I'm convinced I get a load of silvers in my peg on this stretch. Too many Bleak still there for maggot/caster. Hopefully this will beat them though I'm not expecting too much. I would try hemp (will do eventually) but I'm all out of it.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
I’ve never caught on an expander on a river. Not really sure why as I’ve caught feeding them but not on the hook yet have caught loads on various hooker pellets 🤔 Seeing as the severn sees so many of them I’d be inclined to go with halibuts though with the hook bait either a soft version or a banded hard one. The sheer amount of them that goes in the severn I’d imagine it’s near enough a natural food source now.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
I’ve never caught on an expander on a river. Not really sure why as I’ve caught feeding them but not on the hook yet have caught loads on various hooker pellets 🤔 Seeing as the severn sees so many of them I’d be inclined to go with halibuts though with the hook bait either a soft version or a banded hard one. The sheer amount of them that goes in the severn I’d imagine it’s near enough a natural food source now.
That's my hopeful thinking too. It's going to be a bit of a hodge podge of flavours as I have 4mm and 6mm hard halibut and 4mm Coppens expanders.

Hope he doesn't mind me mentioning, but @carphauler told me he's been catching on expanders and he has the best catches of silvers from the Severn from the reports that get put up.

I'm going to hopefully fish a waggler if I can get on the peg I want.