Pellet upon Severn

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
After todays Bleak woes (float would not sit still for a second) I'm thinking that 4mm pellets might be a good idea if I want to trot in future.

I think it's going to have to be 4mm hard pellet as expanders will be too vulnerable.

It's also much cheaper as I put in 3 pints of casters, 2 of maggots, and 2 of hemp in 5 and half hours this morning.

Seemed like they were all just going to the Bleak.

Any tips from those who fish this bait and method as I can't see maggots and caster being all that viable for me in future?

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
I hate those things Zerkalo mate. Too much effort for a big bag of nowt. What is it you are looking to catch pal ? Chub / Barbel ? What about cheese or lob worm if that’s the case. Feel for you. I wouldn’t wish bleak on my worst enemy.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
And that mate is exactly why locally we use hemp, tares, pellets etc on the Thames, Avon, Ouse etc! Virtually pointless using maggot and caster beyond early mornings. At least on the severn there are some quick bits that are virtually bleak free. We just have different degrees of bleakyness here! No reason why hemp, tares etc won’t work where you are as well.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Some of the nice Roach wouldn't go amiss, but Chub and Barbel too. It seems more often than not Bleak are there, and it might be a way around it.

But I think there's a reason why 95% of anglers I see on the Severn fish with Barbel rods and Barbel hookbaits, as much as I think people can have success on the float in a variety of ways, Barbel or Silvers, if it was easy and a magic method then everyone would do it. :LOL:

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
Back in the 80’s a gallon of bronze would feed them off but, listening to you and Silverfisher I don’t think that would work. Maybe you two should carry a couple of pet Cormorants with you. 🤣🤣

Total

Site Supporter
Some of the nice Roach wouldn't go amiss, but Chub and Barbel too. It seems more often than not Bleak are there, and it might be a way around it.

But I think there's a reason why 95% of anglers I see on the Severn fish with Barbel rods and Barbel hookbaits, as much as I think people can have success on the float in a variety of ways, Barbel or Silvers, if it was easy and a magic method then everyone would do it. :LOL:
^^ Wait until the Autumn mate, then fill your boots with quality fish...;)(y)

Total

Site Supporter
Back in the 80’s a gallon of bronze would feed them off but, listening to you and Silverfisher I don’t think that would work. Maybe you two should carry a couple of pet Cormorants with you. 🤣🤣
^^ Hark at David Attenborough there!:oops::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

smiffy

Site Supporter
It’s a few years since I last visited the Severn but even then the pellet waggler run down the river at pace seemed to be catching quite a few Barbel. 6mm pellet as hookbait.
Cant vouch for its effectiveness now though.

OldTaff

Site Supporter
Get masses of bleak trotting on the Medway and the only way through them to the “better” fish is using hemp and sweetcorn. Not tried pellet on the river with float yet.

Worm is a great bait on the stretches I fish but will bring perch, perch and more perch if you like that sort of thing - which I really do.

The second you pop in a maggot or caster you are screwed, they’ll beat the whatsits out of bread without taking the hook too.

Team KDB

Instead of Hemp try Pearl Barley or Groats which will take a colour at the 24hr soaking stage.
6/8/10mm pellet for the hook,a 4mm seems small to me unless you are after silvers. 👍

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
At the end of today’s and yesterdays sessions I threw in some old maggots and within about a minute the water was just boiling! It’s just ridiculous. There’s so many that you even get the odd one on hemp but luckily it’s like one for every couple dozen roach. Can forget about doing a whole session on maggot until well into October and you don’t stop catching at least a few bleak until well into November.

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
At the end of today’s and yesterdays sessions I threw in some old maggots and within about a minute the water was just boiling! It’s just ridiculous. There’s so many that you even get the odd one on hemp but luckily it’s like one for every couple dozen roach. Can forget about doing a whole session on maggot until well into October and you don’t stop catching at least a few bleak until well into November.
Ya know pal, when I was a young boy my dad would not stop at the Trent and would carry on to the river Witham just for that reason. I’d be like ….. “ Daaaad I wanna fish the Trent it’s stuffed with fish “. Nah, he kept driving. I know why now.

Dave Spence

MD virtual champion 2020. Golden Pie winner 2018.
Site Supporter
Long time since I used a gallon of bronze mate.

Dave Spence

MD virtual champion 2020. Golden Pie winner 2018.
Site Supporter
You typed too quick for me, damn my sausage fingers

dave brittain 1

Site Supporter
When I look at the Severn match results there's good bags of chub and barbel to be had providing your in the right swim.

Depth and pace play a massive part in summer river fishing so swim selection is vital.

If I was going to fish pellet 8mm is the smallest I would opt for unless introducing 3 or 4mm in a very fast peg through a block end feeder.

Bleak tend to prefer steady water but one thing is for sure if you feed more you'll just attract more into the peg.

Look at swim choice first. Trevor Chalk won with 41lbs of chub from 4 oz to 4lbs this weekend however he knew what peg he needed and was lucky enough to draw it on his birthday

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Ya know pal, when I was a young boy my dad would not stop at the Trent and would carry on to the river Witham just for that reason. I’d be like ….. “ Daaaad I wanna fish the Trent it’s stuffed with fish “. Nah, he kept driving. I know why now.
They are such a pain that’s for sure. I suppose it’s ok really as thanks to hemp, tares, pellets etc you can easily avoid them and catch plenty of roach but it would be nice to be able to use other baits for more variety. Obviously you do catch other stuff on the likes of hemp as well but the overwhelming majority are roach which is fine for me as a roach addict but if you want to fish for like perch or bream you are a bit stuck as anything but seed baits get bleaked.