Pellet Problem

TonyA

Site Supporter
I was fishing for carp in a lake today with 8mm pellet on a band (small and micro on different rods), on hair rigged QM1 size 10 hooks, 3" hook length and 20g method feeder. I kept getting little knocks and landed a few small roach (6-10 oz) but, most of the time, the rig came back bare i.e. minus the pellet.
Are these little roach filching the bait from under the band or is there something wrong with my rig??

davej

old hippy
Site Supporter
Are the pellets good, try one in water to see if it breaks down quickly, might be the problem.

crackatoa

Site Supporter
What pellet are you using? Coppens are ideal for the band as they break down slower than other brands.

tedstriker

Site Supporter
If the are losts of fish in the swim it wont take long for the pellet to get chewed away, had it Monday on the feeder with a red Robin 8mm pellet, times it was coming back half chewed after being in the water for 5 minutes

TonyA

Site Supporter
If the are losts of fish in the swim it wont take long for the pellet to get chewed away, had it Monday on the feeder with a red Robin 8mm pellet, times it was coming back half chewed after being in the water for 5 minutes

I was using 8mm Red Robins too.

MartinWY

Site Supporter
8mm pellet on a band (small and micro on different rods)

Could you explain this to me please? I'm not sure what you meant and I'm pretty new to the whole pellet band thing. It would help me out if you don't mind.

CarpCatcher86

Could you explain this to me please? I'm not sure what you meant and I'm pretty new to the whole pellet band thing. It would help me out if you don't mind.
He was fishing with two rods, using a small pellet band on one rod and a micro pellet band on the other rod, both with an 8mm pellet. I think.

MartinWY

Site Supporter
He was fishing with two rods, using a small pellet band on one rod and a micro pellet band on the other rod, both with an 8mm pellet. I think.

What is the difference between the two? I have pellet bands of several sizes but never thought it would bother the fish assuming the pellet was the same?

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
There must be some pretty damn smart fish then. Seriously surprised.

Fish soon wise up, especially Carp. I usually drop the band size when little taps appear on the tip rod, seems to work for me. But others are correct, the pellet breakdown time should be tested too.

Neil ofthe nene

Doing things differently.
Site Supporter
With 8mm pellets I drill them and pull a band through. Using a tight band around the pellet will hasten the breakdown. And of course the band is not visible at all to the fish if it is pulled inside the pellet.

I would be doing an experiment on the bank and dropping a baited hooklength in a baitbox filled with water after casting and observing how long it takes for the pellet to breakdown. That will tell you the max time you should leave the feeder in the water.

As has been said, breakdown can be slowed by oiling the pellets. Or find a more robust pellet.

stikflote

Site Supporter
I,ve been fishing with the Ringers no pump pellets the one,s with Des. Ship on front, with out soaking,
they stay on even when taking hook out of fish,take a long while to break down

TonyA

Site Supporter
What is the difference between the two? I have pellet bands of several sizes but never thought it would bother the fish assuming the pellet was the same?

the other reason in my thinking was the fish could pull the pellet out of the larger band.

TonyA

Site Supporter
Thanks for all your replies, will check breakdown in future and try oiling.
BTW this is the first time I've had this problem but it is a new water to me.

Ken the Pacman

Site Supporter
What type of pellet are you using ? even the robin red pellets should last but maybe go to a 12mm
It would take a serious pull to remove an 8mm from that size of band.

MartinWY

Site Supporter
I've been thinking on this. A smaller band may be prominent to the fish, but as its tighter, once the pellet begins to absorb the water, the tightness of the band will compromise the structure of the pellet and might lead to it breaking down faster than if a larger band was used, similar to squeezing a damp pellet.

I've had 4mm hard pellets on small bands last a long time (sonubaits). We're talking still well in the band after 20 minutes.

The only way to find out is a test and I might just do that if I get chance. Seems like a good opportunity to test time lapse too.

davylad

Site Supporter
First of all, 6-10 oz roach aren't small in my book. I reckon sometimes it pays to hide the band, if so I hacksaw blade a little groove around the pellet. It might not be everyones cup of tea, but does no harm.