Pellet feeder

Billy the fish 1954

Hi guys need a bit of advice, at the moment fish feeding on maggots nothing on pellets, thinking of trying a small pellet feeder filled with ground bait using dead reds on the hook, any opinions welcome

Neil ofthe nene

Doing things differently.
Site Supporter
It may be the way I am reading the original post but I get the impression you are using a pellet feeder with pellets in the feeder and solely pellet as hookbait. Have you tried maggot, corn, meat or Wafters as hookbait and micros in the feeder?

The issue I would have with groundbait in the pellet feeder is that it would not push the hookbait out as it would with pellets as the compressed pellets expand. The Method feeder gives a better hookbait presentation with groundbait in my opinion.

Also how long are you leaving the pellet feeder before recasting? I think it should be at least fifteen minutes this time of year. Try twitching the pellet feeder after three minutes then waiting a further twelve.

Billy the fish 1954

Cheers Neil,have been starting on expander over micros on the pole then another line on maggot, not had a fish in 4 sessions on the pellets, thought of trying ground bait with dead reds but in a small pellet feeder as another line

dave brittain 1

Site Supporter
I use pellet feeders in winter at Todber using the smallest Guru and Preston sizes with the Guru being the preferred option due to weight and minimal feeding. Basically I fish it from the bottom of the shelf to the top of the shelf as sometimes the fish at Todber will take in quite shallow water even in the depths of winter.

Hook length is 4ins and bait is usually double or triple dead reds particularly when bites are at a premium. Feed is simple 2mm pellets, soaked for 2-3 minutes and then drained and placed in a plastic zip bag and laid flat on the ground, turned and shook every 15 minutes until the match starts. I then place a small qty in a bait box topping up from the sealed bag as and when required.

Once it warms up I rarely fish the feeder but if I do the pellet feeder is abandoned in favour of the method.

Total

Site Supporter
I use pellet feeders in winter at Todber using the smallest Guru and Preston sizes with the Guru being the preferred option due to weight and minimal feeding. Basically I fish it from the bottom of the shelf to the top of the shelf as sometimes the fish at Todber will take in quite shallow water even in the depths of winter.

Hook length is 4ins and bait is usually double or triple dead reds particularly when bites are at a premium. Feed is simple 2mm pellets, soaked for 2-3 minutes and then drained and placed in a plastic zip bag and laid flat on the ground, turned and shook every 15 minutes until the match starts. I then place a small qty in a bait box topping up from the sealed bag as and when required.

Once it warms up I rarely fish the feeder but if I do the pellet feeder is abandoned in favour of the method.
^^ Exactly as here too....I've sometimes capped off the hooked/hair rigged bait with a little groundbait as and when I've needed to pull in fish in the Winter....(y)

Last edited:

The Landlord

Site Supporter
Hi guys need a bit of advice, at the moment fish feeding on maggots nothing on pellets, thinking of trying a small pellet feeder filled with ground bait using dead reds on the hook, any opinions welcome
I think a lot of it is to do with the time of year & there's no consistency in any bait. Just been having a similar discussion on our club's facebook page. On our "commercial" style lake, last few weeks it's been all maggot & can't get a bite on expander. This week - no bites on maggot & everything on 4mm expanders. Not just me - it's also been the case for our best match angler on the best peg on the lake.

Team KDB

Billy if they are still on the maggots you won’t go wrong using double reds and a low feed groundbait,Swim Stim F1 Black if the water is still on the clear side with a splash of molasses or anything you have confidence in. 😉

gingert76

Facts, Stats & Evidence!
Site Supporter
one of the reasons why i love shovel feeders as i can put in as much or little as i want, i can even put in a couple of maggots and then pellets/gbait (usually use a 70/30 pellet to gbait) if i want and once its a bit warmer i mix in a tiny bit of chop worm as well as it can make a huge difference.

I use banded, worm, dead maggot or a banded pellet or other hook bait so have all hook bait choices covered without changing baits each time and you can catch several fish on banded mag so can be quicker

always use the cold water pellet soak for my pellets in winter (normal version in summer) Dynamite Baits - Swim Stim Pellet Soak F1 Sweet Cool Water - 500ml

Neil ofthe nene

Doing things differently.
Site Supporter
Cheers Neil,have been starting on expander over micros on the pole then another line on maggot, not had a fish in 4 sessions on the pellets, thought of trying ground bait with dead reds but in a small pellet feeder as another line
Obviously different waters react different ways. Pellets work for me most of the year. If its really cold then pinkies can become the go-to. But I do use 2mil expanders in Winter. Groundbait is not an option for me as it is banned on my favourite club lake.

robert d

Allways trying to improve
Site Supporter

If it's really cold or hard a small drennan maggot feeder or the smallest Preston maggot feeder will often pays dividends and can easily be over looked.

I'll often start on this in preference to any other method other than popped bread discs on the bomb when it's freezing.
What length hooklength and are they inline feeders . Please