pellet bands

Status
Not open for further replies.

paul11

Hi lads and lasses,can somebody help me,i'm trying to put a pellet on the hook with a pellet band.Which is the best way of doing this because i want the pellet as close to the hook as possible,..any ideas, thanks in advance.....paul.

Luckyphil

Put band around pellet then slide the hook under tha band. Don't think you'll get it much closer.[:)]

paul11

thanks for that mate, i did try that idea but the pellet kept slipping down and fouling the point.Short of supergluing the band on, i cant think of anything...cheers anyway.paul.

getfishing

Pete
You really got to tighten it to make it work, I attach the hook to a hook keeper on a rod and hold the line tight and use a baiting needle to make sure it can't be any tighter. Also use a bit of saliva when tightening it

paul11

Thanks lads,i'll be trying those ideas out next time, and i must say what a quick response thanks again[:T] paul

PorkRocker

Hi mate - here's what you should do and i can guarantee you will have the most reliable pellet setup which will stay on the hook and can often even be used again after youve caught a fish.

firstly buy gardener pellet bands - the small ones. These are so strong and hold up to 12mm pellets. You might be better getting a mosella pellet tool too if using the gardner pellet bands as they are quite tricky to put on if your hands are wet. The mosella tool is awesome and allows you to put pellets on the bands with ease - google it ;)

take a pellet band and some line for the hooklength - something strong if your using method feeder as the fish shoot off like crazy.

tie one end of the hook length to the pellet band using a uni knot.

http://www.reactionbaits.com/info/images/knots/UniKnot.jpg

thread the other end through a preston pr 38 hook - these are best i find for the hair rig.

and then do the knotless knot - very strong and you can make the pellet band as close to the hook as you want!

do a loop on the other end and you have a solid hook length and hair rigged baitband good to go.

Last edited:

Captainswoop

I pierce the hook through the side of the band, it sits where you put it on the hook without slipping up or down. I use a Pellet Bander to stretch the band round a pellet or piece of corn.

Peter

'Mugger'
Staff member
Site Supporter
Originally posted by Captainswoop

I pierce the hook through the side of the band, it sits where you put it on the hook without slipping up or down. I use a Pellet Bander to stretch the band round a pellet or piece of corn.

Spot on.[:T]

getfishing

Pete
Originally posted by Peter

Originally posted by Captainswoop

Spot on.[:T]
I've found with doing that, that the band slips round onto the bend really easily and that isn't where I want it to be, i don't hook the fish, especially with floaters.

supersuperleeds

Have you tried hair rigging the band? If you use one of those sensa loop tyers you can make a hair that will have the band right next to the hook. This is how I fish mixers on the top.

paul11

Some fantastic ideas there lads,porkrocker's tip is just brilliant, yet so simple when you think about it, as with all good ideas...thanks again lads....paul.

Steve_goral

Per Ardua Ad Astra
I'm not sure if it works or not. But I've heard of people cutting a groove along the pellet and then glueing the hook into the groove. As I said I've never tried it but you certainly couldn't get it any closer to the hook and it wouldn't move.

PorkRocker

Originally posted by paul11

Some fantastic ideas there lads,porkrocker's tip is just brilliant, yet so simple when you think about it, as with all good ideas...thanks again lads....paul.

No sweat! I only just discovered this method recently and was using hookable expanders before - this method has saved me so much time on the bank, those gardener bands are amazing. The pellet just doesnt come off!

Hatchye

Originally posted by PorkRocker

Originally posted by paul11

No sweat! I only just discovered this method recently and was using hookable expanders before - this method has saved me so much time on the bank, those gardener bands are amazing. The pellet just doesnt come off!

TBH I moved away from using the uni knot and tying the band in a loop, if you do use the uni put a blob of superglue on it, as it's a pain when the line pings off or the band snaps. If you have a loop you can usually use a larger band larks footed to replace it.[:T]

PorkRocker

Yes that's the only draw back I've found - If the band snaps! It's not been much of a problem yet though with those gardener bands because they are that strong. Think it's happened twice since I've been doing it but I've always got loads of hook lengths tied up anyway and I use a snap swivel when using method or pellet waggler so can change it in about 30 seconds. Ill look into the loop though. thanks!

Smileybri

you could also consider not using a band at all and lasoo the pellet instead,as the pellet takes in water it makes the knot even tighter,you can catch several fish before needing to rebait

http://www.matchfishingmagazine.com/Videos/category_7/video_72/

Status
Not open for further replies.