Pellet advice please

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobthetrain

Good evening all. I started fishing last winter, and so have fished through just one spring/summer season, and I never got round to using pellets. I want to use them this year but don't know a lot about them. When would I use expanders (are these the ones that need 'pumping'?), or hooker pellets, or hard pellets. I did buy some pellets last year with the intention of bait banding them, and they were 'hard', but they just floated. I assume I bought the wrong ones? So what do I use, and when? I know you lot'll point me in the right direction. Cheers.

fish finder

callum
hi mate, there are loads of different makes and types of pellets out there, i will tell you the ones i use.
i get 4mm or 6mm fin-perfect feed pellets and wet them up [on the bases of 1mm per 1 min] make sure you do this the night before and the next day they will be ready for the hook. i have caught bream, carp, skimmers and tench on these they are very effective. to feed i use 1mm swimstim natural feed pellets, i have never blanked doing this.

i hope this helps a bit mate.

Neil ofthe nene

Doing things differently.
Site Supporter
Hard or feed pellets will sink. Sometimes they will sit in the surface film and sink after a few seconds - particularly 1-2mm size. Wetting them for as few seconds will make them sink without bother. You can soak these pellets so that instead of feeding them hard they are soft. But soaked you will find they break up easily and are thus no good for hooking. They can be squeezed together to make a ball or moulding round a method feeder and they will break up in the water into individual pellets again. I soak mine overnight in just enough water to cover them. Others like to soak for 1 minute per mm of diameter and then drain off the water and leave for a while. whether you feed hard or soft, soak for hours or minutes is up to you. If catapulting a distance they are best left hard. It is unsoaked feed pellets that you will band, lasso or hair-rig.

Expander pellets will always float when put in water. It is only when soaked and pumped or squeezed they will sink. The expanders are made with air trapped inside and so pumping gets that air out and replaces it with water hence they sink when pumped - or squeezed under water after soaking for a while. I normally add expanders to the water in the pump, pump and leave for 30 minutes then release the vacuum and they should all sink. Others just pump and release immediately. It's what you are confident in. Once soaked the expander will be a soft but tough consistency so that they can be hooked without falling apart. To aid in this use a bigger hook than you may think. A 4mm expander will fit on a size 14 without bother. What you are looking to do is hook the pellet so that it sits in the bend of the hook. You can feed expanders - confusing eh?

Tackle shop should advise you which is which or the packing should say expander or feed.

Last edited:

midge99

hard/feed pellets - come in various sizes from micro to 11mm or larger, normally use to attract fish to your swim but as has been said, they can be banded, lasso'd or even glued to the hook as a hook bait.

Expanders - again various sizes are available and many varieties the need soaking and the pumping to remove the air so they will sink, it is trial and error as to how long they need to be soaked and prepared. I normally do them the evening before a match once they are done seal them in a plastic bag in leave in the fridge over night. you can also pump them on the bank again if they do float. also if you want to add your own flavours add the flavoring to the water just before you pump them.

hookers - these are just ready prepared expanders available in tackle shops and save the haste of preparing your own and come in a varitety of flavours and colours.

Pellets will work all year round on most commercials. Personally I use feed pellets on the hook with the pellet waggler of feeder. hookers and expanders on the pole. the softer the pellet normally the better they are but they still need to be tough enough to stay on the hook when shipping out, they should come off with the gentlst of strikes.

I hope this helps

bobthetrain

OK. So, in a nutshell, hard/feed pellets for freebies or banding etc, pumped expanders or hookers for hookbait.
Simple when you know how!
Cheers folks, I knew you'd be there for me.

garethevans1986

I personally recommend the Ringers Next Generation 4mm an 6mm pellets.....put them in some water pump them so the sink, drain the water off and their ready to use.

GE

Status
Not open for further replies.