Peak forest canal Romiley

IEatSand

Anyone been fishing along peak forest canal lately? Looking to go tomorrow but I'm unsure of the fish it holds

RohnnyJose

Anyone been fishing along peak forest canal lately? Looking to go tomorrow but I'm unsure of the fish it holds
I walked along from Bredbury to Romiley today, there were small silvers being chased by a big perch. Where there are little silvers there are big ones.
On a previous walk I saw a chap landing a decent looking pike 10lb+.
I know rivers and canals are now off season til June 16th but thats whats in there. Did you manage to fish it at end of March?

Markywhizz

Clueless member
Site Supporter
I haven’t fished it recently but it used to have a lot of roach in it, also perch and pike.

IEatSand

I walked along from Bredbury to Romiley today, there were small silvers being chased by a big perch. Where there are little silvers there are big ones.
On a previous walk I saw a chap landing a decent looking pike 10lb+.
I know rivers and canals are now off season til June 16th but thats whats in there. Did you manage to fish it at end of March?
I did aye, walked both ways from romely but had no catches unfortunately, going again tomorrow though since its warmed up a little more now.

stikflote

Site Supporter
Is that the peak forest canal in Derbyshire if so most Canals are open for fishing
no close season on most canals ,only on rivers

SoulSoldier

Site Supporter
I used to fish it regularly before moving South last year. There are loads of decent roach about usually where there are plenty of reeds. Baits bread pinkies and casters. Loose feed minimal ground bait (I only used liquidised bread sparingly with bread punch, preferring to use multi punch bread catapulted around the float). The only problem I ever had fishing that canal was plenty of footfall so fine and faraway the best tactics. Also I used to get the odd know it all asking me/telling me to use the pole. I found it better to fish in and around a 1 foot square area either on top of the far shelf, half way down the far shelf and at the bottom af said shelf. Not many fish close in but you may get Ruff in the deeper channel.

RohnnyJose

Is that the peak forest canal in Derbyshire if so most Canals are open for fishing
no close season on most canals ,only on rivers
Thats good to know, I am due to move to Bredbury later this year. Year round fishing would be good.
Are there any wider sections as I find Bredbury -Romiley quite narrow and quite a bit of foot traffic. Is it all free fishing or are there amalgamated stretches.

SoulSoldier

Site Supporter
Club was Northern anglers who no longer exists. You can buy a Water Authority “Wanderers” ticket for 12 months. I would fish from Marple to Whaley Bridge anywhere really.