peaceful fishing venues

stevierhino

living in west yorkshire i find north yorkshire is where i find the most peaceful and tranquil fishing spots,3 venues come to mind in gilmour lakes murphys's ponds and thorpe underwood meadows.i always go fishing midweek as i always find weekends busier.last year i had murphys to myself (house lake) and thorpe underwood.the 1st time at gilmour i was alone until i was packing up at 16.00 and a car turned up.

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
The only time I fished up that way was at Selby 3 Lakes. A very pleasant couple of days mid-week with only 2 or 3 other anglers along the whole bank.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
There's nowhere massively peaceful around here as there's either traffic noise or walkers or both but apart from the couple Thames stretches that are on the outskirts of Oxford itself none are what you'd call noisy and even those couple stretches are not bad compared to some places I've fished.

The most peaceful places I've fished are the Wye and Severn valleys.

Last edited:

steve king

The One and Only
Site Supporter
living in west yorkshire i find north yorkshire is where i find the most peaceful and tranquil fishing spots,3 venues come to mind in gilmour lakes murphys's ponds and thorpe underwood meadows.i always go fishing midweek as i always find weekends busier.last year i had murphys to myself (house lake) and thorpe underwood.the 1st time at gilmour i was alone until i was packing up at 16.00 and a car turned up.
If you want peace and quiet try Selley Bridge Farm Low Marishes between Malton and Pickering on the A169 a good day out fish of all sizes and some nice Tench in there.

mickthechippy

space cadet
Staff member
Site Supporter
Out in the middle of the Romney marsh

either fishing the Royal Military Canal or one of the numerous drains that criss cross it, I will be lucky to see anybody all day, and if there is, it will be either a farm worker in a tractor on the fields, a rough road pushbiker or maybe a dog walker, and very occasionally a kayaker

tis a strange land, lies flat in most directions with the escarpment of the downs to the north, very few trees and houses-farms with proper big skies overhead

sometimes you get the red baron looping the loop and other aerobatical manouveres overhead in an old biplane, thats come from the airfield down Lydd way

tuppence worth can wander as much as he likes, just a shout will bring him back

most times the noisiest thing is the sheep bleating or maybe a few of the ancient breed of white cows on the other bank mooing a question between themselves over you being there

and to top all that its great fishing

fredradac

Site Supporter
As a Lancastrian it was hard living in the Wakefield area for 16 years (only kidding you Tykes, it isn't the worst place on the planet). I did have the odd sortie from there up to North Yorkshire to fish. Never caught much to be honest but I did enjoy those outings particularly to Salmon Hall Farm at Topcliffe.
These days I don't need to look further than the Ribble. Between Ribchester and Preston there are so many spots where you can go and see 4 more people on a busy day.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
In my area you're lucky to see another angler at Patshull Park midweek if there are no matches. That's hard to beat. But I also like Kingsnordley as it has 10 lakes + more syndicate lakes so again you're unlikely to be fishing a busy pool. Then there's the weir near my house.

mimississ

Site Supporter
Lower River aire.. Jungle but miles of virgin water... Ahhhhh peace..

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
If I want complete solitude I take my little boat out on the Thames and stop at a rural spot with little bank access for other anglers or walkers so only get the odd other boat for company then.

davej1981

Dont know what they are like now but my 2 local clubs in Sussex most of the time except for a couple of venues youd be lucky to see anymore than one or 2 people. All natural venues in the sussex countryside or on farms. Few large relatively unfidhed reservoirs. Day ticket waters can get busy but only a handful of them and even less proper “commerial” fisheries. Most are more traditional mixed fisheries

Sam Vimes

Site Supporter
I'm not the most sociable angler. I don't object to others fishing, as long as they aren't particularly loud or too close. However, I tend to avoid going at weekends and mostly fish quiet venues. I rarely see a soul on the local rivers and my usual stillwaters aren't much worse. I could travel further for "better" venues, but I'd rather catch fewer/smaller fish on a nice venue with fewer people.

John Step

Site Supporter
I'm not the most sociable angler. I don't object to others fishing, as long as they aren't particularly loud or too close. However, I tend to avoid going at weekends and mostly fish quiet venues. I rarely see a soul on the local rivers and my usual stillwaters aren't much worse. I could travel further for "better" venues, but I'd rather catch fewer/smaller fish on a nice venue with fewer people.
Sam as you know I like one of those rivers in particular. Whilst up there a couple of years ago, out of curiosity I walked round a commercial I noticed whilst driving by. It was at Brafferton. I heard that it had been ravished by otters and practically no fish left. I did see otters on the river there.

Has anyone knowledge if this is still the case at Brafferton?

Sam Vimes

Site Supporter
Sam as you know I like one of those rivers in particular. Whilst up there a couple of years ago, out of curiosity I walked round a commercial I noticed whilst driving by. It was at Brafferton. I heard that it had been ravished by otters and practically no fish left. I did see otters on the river there.

Has anyone knowledge if this is still the case at Brafferton?

Look out for Simon R's match reports. They are on Brafferton fairly regularly. Like many places that are reportedly ravaged, I suspect an element of exaggeration. However, in the same general area, you've got Sunrise (also features in Simon R's reports), The Oaks, Woodlands, Tollerton, Redwood, Poppleton and Willows, amongst others. There's no shortage of commie fishing between York and Thirsk.

stevierhino

Yes biggsy it is Murphy's at thorganby.what a peaceful venue plus some of the biggest roach and ide i"ve ever seen

Mister M

Account Locked
I used to enjoy a bit of solitude on the River Idle between Misson and Idle stop, when it was a Donny AA water. Didn’t see many folk and the only things you heard were the Skylarks, Yellowhammers and Corn Buntings. These days I get to fish a small pond in Lincolnshire a dozen or so times a year and it’s stunning.

Wise Owl

Account Locked
Love anywhere on the rivers used to like Cundall But he wont allow Alberts :( so down the Trent i go for Overnighters or long walks to faraway pegs on the Wharfe.

biggsy

Site Supporter
Yes biggsy it is Murphy's at thorganby.what a peaceful venue plus some of the biggest roach and ide i"ve ever seen
Very true and perfect for getting out of the wind, another venue for peace and quiet is Tevent Farm at East Keswick.