pc help needed please

Status
Not open for further replies.

darren.cox22

Hi all hope someone can help !

My neighbour has given me a laptop which on inspetion is password protected., guess what ????? he doesnt kow or cant remember the password !!

Now I have looked on various sites and was told to download a program called ophcrack which I downloaded but are strugglng to get it to work,,, supprise supprise [:eek:)] I can get it to load and run but it cant find the partition, thats as far as my pc knowledge goes i`m afraid.

Does anyone else know how I can get around this without formating vista again ?

Cheers chaps

Daz

zenith20

I've had a quick look online but it's only really programmes that do it. Is the main user the Admin? You might be able too boot into Safe Mode. But that might only work if you're the admin.

darren.cox22

booted in safe mode, still asking for a password [}:)]

Might have to get me a copy of vista and format from scratch i think.

Daz

zenith20

There are professional packages out there but you have to pay for them... Maybe somewhere on the internet you could get hold of a.... "free version"?

darren.cox22

Originally posted by zenith20

There are professional packages out there but you have to pay for them... Maybe somewhere on the internet you could get hold of a.... "free version"?

Mmmm, possibly yes.

I will leave it and see if anyone has any more ideas.

Cheers.

Dagobert II

It can be done but there is a code of silence amongst techs as most of the people who want to do this have either stolen the laptop or received a stolen laptop. I have multiple desktops and laptops all built or modified by me all password protected and if sold I would give the password to the new owner.

darren.cox22

Originally posted by Dagobert II

It can be done but there is a code of silence amongst techs as most of the people who want to do this have either stolen the laptop or received a stolen laptop. I have multiple desktops and laptops all built or modified by me all password protected and if sold I would give the password to the new owner.

I fully understand what your saying with regards stolen laptops. My personal laptop is password protected for that very reason but in this instance its genuine mate. The neighbour who I have recieved the laptop from unfortunately lost his wife a couple of months ago, hence not having or knowing the password.

I been given the lap top on the understanding that any photos (she was a keen photographer) can be backed up to disk and saved for my neighbour.

As you say there is a code of silence amongs techies I take it that this can be sorted with the right knowledge. If anyone can help then great, if not then at least I know I can pay for someone to sort the problem.

Thanks for your replies.

Daz

Chavender

Steve
passwords can be annoying ,there is stuff i can't post on here ,being a public forum ,but there is a trick that sometimes works (if the hiden administrator password hasn't been set.)

whilst booting up press F5 (yes i know F8 works) the boot menu should pop up ,sellect start in safe mode ,then as the log in screen appears press ctl , alt , delete and the old style log in (win 2000) should appear or the administrator icon ,in the old log in box ,type in Administrator with no password then enter ,if no one has set the admin password you should be logged in as system admin (service mode) as admin you can delete other users password ,goto control panel ,user accounts and remove all passwords from each account in turn ,then reboot the laptop

what ever you do ,dont format the drive ,theres other things you can do

a couple of questions what operating system is it ,XP ?
what model laptop is it?
is the bios password protected ? (press delete or F2 whilst booting up)
where roughly in the west mids ,do you live ?

Last edited:

Chavender

Steve
i'm off too skegness in the morning but should be back home by teatime ,so can only ad reply to any further posts then .theres definatly a easy solution to this (several in fact) (i deal with this problem all the time ,i could do it blindfolded ,but it may take a bit longer too take you through it / enable you too do it .

Status
Not open for further replies.