PC Games

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lid

Please help me. I don't understand how gamepads and joysticks are meant to work.

As you probably guessed I don't know anything about PC games, but lately my daughter (7) has been finding some on the internet and we even bought a nice game from Real One over the net.

Most of the games we play use the mouse to move and fire and some use the arrow keys on the keyboard to move. I thought it would be a good idea to get a gamepad or a joystick to save wearing out the keyboard and mouse and to make them easier to play.

First I tried a Logitech joystick from Argos, but apart from not being able to make it work, it was far too big so I took it back. I have now got a Microsoft Sidewinder Gamepad and have installed it on my PC.

However although it tests OK from control panel, it doesn't control any of the games I want it to!!

Am I just being stupid, or do these devices only control games that have been specifically written to use gamepads and joysticks. Take that great sheepcull game recently posted on MD's. Why won't my gamepad control this game?

Lid [:)]

Colin Payne

In most games that support a joystick(check the specs list on the side of the games packaging) you will find a section in the main menu called CONTROLS. This usually gives you the option to specify what method of control you want to use. Some games just say Keyboard or Gamepad and some games automatically recognise the make of pad you are using. Once you change the setting to gamepad you may also have a section where you can program the individual buttons for different moves or shooting etc. Most of the time you can just leave this in a default setting, I tend to change things around to suit my fingers! Yours is a very common pad and I would think the only problem you may have is if the games you get actually don't support joypads, but this is very rare. Also make sure you have up to date drivers.
I've tended to find a lot of online games don't support a joypad hence the sheepcull problem.

Last edited:

Apache

Most games will have the default controller set as the keyboard or mouse. Even if the joystick is installed correctly, the game will not use it unless you tell it to. As well as that, it may (?) be that your game or drivers don't support that type of joystick.

Tight Lines
Apache

http://www.heathlandsanglingclub.8m.com

Last edited:

mike bram

Question - in fishsim 1 you can use the pole, i have now got fishsim 2 (which i think is great) but there seems to be no pole, if anyone knows how to select or download a pole for the game could you please let me know???????

Lid

Thanks for the replies to this. I now understand why the Gamepad didn't work with the games we play.

However I have another question. Can you get a Gamepad which mimics mouse input? My seven year old is hurting her wrist using the mouse all the time. Cheers.

Trevski

Here you go Lid.....

http://www.vp-soft.com/order/#joymouse

The product is called JoyMouse (imaginitively) and will do exactly the
thing you're after.

There is a free 30 day trial version for you to try out. If you like it
its $20 to get the full version.

Basically what this does is convert input from ANY pc gamepad and turns it
into movement of your mousepointer.

So with this you CAN gamepad control those flash games! Confusing innit!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

[/img]

Last edited:

DDM

Danny
A good one is www.miniclip.com im on it at the moment.[:D]

DDM

Lid

Hi folks

I thought I'd give you an update as to how we got on, seeing as you people have been kind enough to reply.

I bought two different gamepads and a joystick from Argos (so I can return them) and tried them with Joymouse. Joymouse did what it says on the tin, although I couldn't find a way to change which control actually moves the pointer; it seems to default to the most appropriate.

However we found these devices to be very awkward to use and nowhere near match the precision of our logitech cordless optical mouse. The thing is you seem to get finer control with the mouse because you physically move the whole thing, rather than trying to operate a joystick or 8-way pad. Take sheep cull for instance, it difficult to play it with the joystick, although I took the trouble to configure and calibrate it.

So until we really need a gaming device, I'll be taking them all back to Argos.

I think the best solution to my little'uns hurting wrist is to move the mouse so she uses it from a more comfortable position. Possibly centrally in front of the screen on the pull out keyboard tray, which I don't currently use.

Jeff

Hi Lid
Have you looked at this mouse http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/mouse/tbo_info.asp
I have one and I find them quite easy on the wrist.

Lid

Looks interesting. I'll see if I can find one somewhere to try out. Cheers Jeff.

Status
Not open for further replies.