PC Anti virus

stikflote

Site Supporter
Hi all,
Be for i buy a new pPC i need to look for a Antirus system, im not used to this, because ive been using
I Macs which ive never a Anti virus checker on ,
so looking for advice please,
keith

neil fallows

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
I have Avira free which is great, also malware bite and cc cleaner. You can down load them at majorgeeks .

RedRidingHood

Site Supporter
Windows will be your antivirus. We're not in the early 2000's now when Anti-Virus was a must.
Providing you're not being baited into clicking constant ads and downloading weird files you should be ok.

Use Google Chrome & get Adblocker, This alone will help you avoid dodgy ads and bait pop ups which could potentially cause problems.

If you want to be sure, Download Malwarebytes. It's free, And very good. Avoid 'popular' free versions like Norton, Avast ect like a plague. Seriously.

Paid for services in this day and age are, IMO a waste of cash.

I haven't had an anti-virus in over 8 years now with absolutely no problems.

Pompous git

Site Supporter
Used `Bullguard` since 2005, used it on numerous computers including my kids computers when they lived at home. Yes it
costs money but considering the personal information on the average computer I do not consider myself computer savvy
enough to rely on freebies.

Also the downloading and interface is fairly straightforward.

MunchMyStump

Site Supporter
Bullguard is one of the better suites and it is all I use on my own computers and all those that I fix up for others. You can get a key from amazon for around £12 I think and this covers 3 installations for a year.

davylad

Site Supporter
If you do decide on AV, Kaspersky is very good. It does slow the machine down when you first start up, but it's fine when it's updated itself. RRH is correct, if you're careful you don't need it, but one slip and you've got lot's of inconvenience at best. It doesn't cost much for cover nowadays, as low as £7 for a year. (1PC)

stikflote

Site Supporter
Thanks all for replies ,now i have to find the pc ,thinking of going from 27" to 24"
might seem strange tho but it will cost less

muskrat

Havin' a Waggle
Site Supporter
I 've used Bitdefender Antivirus Plus for the last few years. It's about £30 per year. I haven't experienced any performance issues with it so far.

emmaemma

Site Supporter
I think 24" is more than adequate if you sit in front of the screen all the time.
If you were watching videos/movies, you could have a bigger screen and sit further back to watch.
I think you can go too big with screens. I have seen tv's in peoples homes with screens that are far too big for the room they are in.