PB tench today on my second ever river outing

MartinWY

Site Supporter
I caught a tench today at a very small venue which I won't name to help the fish. It was completely unexpected in both the fact I caught a tench at all and also the size of it, which is the largest one I've ever seen in person. I don't carry scales (soon to be remedied) so the only way I had to show the size of the fish was to use the landing net and try my best at a photo.

Is there any sure fire way of telling it's weight from it's dimensions?

The landing net is 26" and whilst the photo angle is slightly off to the right, the fish was the full length of the net plus about an inch, nose to tail.

I've caught decent tench before up to about 5lb, but never a true specimen. My guess is that this fish was around 8lb. Would that seem reasonable given the length and the fact it's a river fish, so presumably leaner than one you'd take from a lake? It did have quite a belly on it, but not a huge pot belly like you see on estate lake record breakers.

Either way, it was a privilege to catch such a fish. It swam off rather angrily I'd say, so plenty of energy left.

I know its not much compared to many of your accomplishments, but I'm so chuffed with it. Made my year and christened my new river tackle in style.

For all of you that suggested I tried river fishing, thank you. I'm bloody glad I did.

20210629_185923.jpg

OldTaff

Site Supporter
I’m no good at guessing weights but a wonderful fish - well done and hopefully the first of many

Fugley-fisher

Fishing the stour dorset, most probably!
Site Supporter
You can fish rivers for a lifetime and never come close to a specimen tench like that, well done that man, just to err on the side of caution not every river session will be a specimen day.

Silver fan 82

Lovely fish mate! Well done.
There is no definite way to tell the weight, I would guess 6 - 7lb but it is difficult with Tench I find.
I don't think it matters mate, beautiful specimen regardless of it's weight.

robert d

Allways trying to improve
Site Supporter
I caught a tench today at a very small venue which I won't name to help the fish. It was completely unexpected in both the fact I caught a tench at all and also the size of it, which is the largest one I've ever seen in person. I don't carry scales (soon to be remedied) so the only way I had to show the size of the fish was to use the landing net and try my best at a photo.

The landing net is 26" and whilst the photo angle is slightly off to the right, the fish was the full length of the net plus about an inch, nose to tail.

I've caught decent tench before up to about 5lb, but never a true specimen. My guess is that this fish was around 8lb. Would that seem reasonable given the length and the fact it's a river fish, so presumably leaner than one you'd take from a lake? It did have quite a belly on it, but not a huge pot belly like you see on estate lake record breakers.

Either way, it was a privilege to catch such a fish. It swam off rather angrily I'd say, so plenty of energy left.

I know its not much compared to many of your accomplishments, but I'm so chuffed with it. Made my year and christened my new river tackle in style.

For all of you that suggested I tried river fishing, thank you. I'm bloody glad I did.

20210629_185923.jpg
Nice fish ,well done 👏

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Any Tench from a river would be a PB for me as I've never caught one, let alone a decent specimen one like so. Amazing.

Nasha

20210629_185923.jpg
Lovely fish that is. What method and bait did you get it on?

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter

20210629_185923.jpg

Nice Tench is that, but just be aware that they don't happen every trip. You'll have your 'down' as well as your 'up' days.

smiffy

Site Supporter
Stunning fish, well done. I’m lucky in that all my local rivers have a good head of Tench keep the bum clenched sometimes. Hats off👍

MartinWY

Site Supporter
Cracking river tench mate, here's a well proportioned 8lb 6oz tench if it helps to compare, also in a 26" net

IMG_0481.JPG
Thats a great fish. Very similar proportions from what I can tell. What doesn't show in the photo's, maybe due to colour or angle, is the size of the belly. I've had a 5lb fish before (stillwater) and sure it lacked a bit of the length, but the main difference was the stomach.

MartinWY

Site Supporter
You can fish rivers for a lifetime and never come close to a specimen tench like that, well done that man, just to err on the side of caution not every river session will be a specimen day.
Thats what I thought when I'd got her back and sat down. I was in a bit of shock I suppose since it was all so out of the blue.

MartinWY

Site Supporter
Lovely fish that is. What method and bait did you get it on?
This was on a running bomb with double hair rigged dendrobena's on a 16 QM1 over a mixture of carp/halibut micro's and hemp which I'd been feeding regularly by catty.

I should have done a proper writeup really because I learned so much from this session. For instance, the fish did not like the sun, not one bit. The water was clear. As soon as the clouds came over, the fish started biting. Sun out, bites off. Like a switch. Then the progression from catching perch which were presumably feeding on bait fish over the micro's, through to larger the fish which probably sent the perch packing. There was more than one tench in the swim towards the end. It felt like almost a text book version of swim progression.

Thats why I went for a bomb instead of a feeder, I thought a feeder might scare the smaller fish away, as might groundbait in such clear water. I wish I'd had some worm scissors to help keep the interest of the larger fish, so they are on my shopping list too.

The only thing I'd change apart from having chopped worm, would be that I'd use lob and not dendro's.

Robwooly

Thats a great fish. Very similar proportions from what I can tell. What doesn't show in the photo's, maybe due to colour or angle, is the size of the belly. I've had a 5lb fish before (stillwater) and sure it lacked a bit of the length, but the main difference was the stomach.
Yeah it's impossible to compare the two especially if one is fatter than other, your best bet would be to go back down there with your new scales and catch another, it's sods law that they may play hard ball next time but it's not inconceivable that you may even get a larger one.

My PB was also 5lb so when this one came to the surface I just though bloody hell it's a bus!

tincatim

Site Supporter
That’s a gorgeous tench, Martin. Even more impressive from a river! Very well done to you. No idea on weight but it looks well over 5lb, hard to say though from a photo. But now you know where they are, you can always try catch another.

MartinWY

Site Supporter
Yeah it's impossible to compare the two especially if one is fatter than other, your best bet would be to go back down there with your new scales and catch another, it's sods law that they may play hard ball next time but it's not inconceivable that you may even get a larger one.

My PB was also 5lb so when this one came to the surface I just though bloody hell it's a bus!
haha very similar to my thoughts when this one came in! Same as you, my PB was about 5lb which was still a lovely fish.

Oddly, this one didn't fight very much so was very misleading. Initially I thought I'd got another half pound perch but then she set off. Still, wasn't a strong fight, which is surprising to me. A wise old girl I guess. Saved her energy for release as she shot off like an angry bull. Fish are strange creatures at times.

As you say, I'm now starting to wonder if theres a double in there...