PB roach off the canal

Lee Richards

Site Supporter
Cracking looking fish and a shame you didn't just photo it instead of the clip
"Even better from a natural venue" - this brought a smile to my face but I know what you mean :)

fishingmad123

Regular Dude
Account Locked
im terrible at taking photos /video when im on my own with just my phone ,how do you guys do it ?

Lee Richards

Site Supporter
For decent size fish I will always have the unhooking mat ready and if planning to take a photo I will put a wet sling over it's head (calms then down -mostly) and get the camera/phone ready. When happy I will whip the wet sling off and take a couple of quick snaps.

For smaller fish I find it's best to take a photo with the fish alongside something like a reel so as to give a sense of proportion.
In your case you could have just kept the nice Roach back and then dunked the landing net to give it and the fish a wetting and then let the fish lie in the wet net (making sure the fish was not covered for a better picture)
Having the net and fish in the water whilst you got the camera/phone ready would have been ideal.
An object by it for size would have shown it off nicely.

bezzer

For decent size fish I will always have the unhooking mat ready and if planning to take a photo I will put a wet sling over it's head (calms then down -mostly) and get the camera/phone ready. When happy I will whip the wet sling off and take a couple of quick snaps.

Or you'll just post up a picture from a year ago and claim it was from your last trip out :jump:

fishingmad123

Regular Dude
Account Locked
Looks a beaut....
cheers pal but ya know what( im not trying to blow my own trumpet i couldnt care less ) every time i look at that video it looks smaller but i swear to god in real life it was huge , ive caught really good roach and weighed em well over a 1lb but that one was much much bigger , it happens all the time to me , i caught a huge bream last week in the same place , showed my old man and he was like yeah not bad , yet it was way way way bigger than any bream ive ever seen him catch but on camera it looked like nothing special

Pompous git

Site Supporter
Watcha FM, few weeks ago the man from Swale heating turned up to service the boiler {no not `er}. He kows I go fishing and we got
chatting and he told me about a two pound plus roach he had caught from a lake known as `Naccolt`, he showed me the picture of
this fish he had taken on his phone.
I said blimey it looks more like three it is that big, he replied that the needle of the scales went round to almost three but if he told people
it was three nobody would have believed him. Now as we all know fish never seem to look as big in photos as in real life but the picture
of this roach struck a chord, it was taken at arms length the fish held under its belly with his left hand. Obviously this method to photograph
a fish would be no good for say a pike or bream but for roach sized fish it would seem the way to go for a good perspective.
Incidentally, I have fished `Naccolt` many times and caught some cracking tench and rudd but never a roach, the man from Swale said it
did not put up much of a fight and took no real pride in its capture because it was landed on carp tackle but they all count.

Aston_fisher

Site Supporter
Nice fish mate, and I agree, when you're on your own and just want a quick photo they never look as big. Only way round it is setting up a proper photo like @Lee Richards says.