PayPal query

danny_glover09

After many threads about PayPal over the years on here im hoping you guys can help me.

Usually when I pay with PayPal it just uses my debit card and instantly takes the funds from my bank. However my last purchase the money was taken as a direct debit a few days later.
What determines whether the money is taken from the debit card or if it comes out as a direct debit. I don't use PayPal offen as I have no need so this was new to me and I wondered why it was done this way?

Whisker

Site Supporter
There's a new option whereby you can buy something and pay over 3 months with 3 x monthly DD's. Handy if you need to.
Your account may have defaulted to this new method so check your payment settings to see your preferred options and amend as per your preferred option.

danny_glover09

There's a new option whereby you can buy something and pay over 3 months with 3 x monthly DD's. Handy if you need to.
Your account may have defaulted to this new method so check your payment settings to see your preferred options and amend as per your preferred option.
It's not that. The payment was £3 which was took DD.

jods

Site Supporter
In your paypal wallet check what is your preferred payment method mine is set as bank account. Have you had a new debit card lately?

danny_glover09

In your paypal wallet check what is your preferred payment method mine is set as bank account. Have you had a new debit card lately?
I don't have a preferred method. It tells me I can have one but neither is selected.
Card isn't new either.
I tryed a quick Google search but didn't really know what to search for. It's not like it bothers me which way it gets took but just wondered why.

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
It's just a Paypal thing

Any payments I've made have been taken from the balance and if not sufficient then from the bank account generally several days later by DD.
Recently it's been instantaneous.
And on occasion, it resorts back to how it used to be with no rhyme or reason

Whisker

Site Supporter
I don't have a preferred method. It tells me I can have one but neither is selected.
Card isn't new either.
Hard to say without looking at the PayPal account. I would try selecting a preferred method ie straight out your bank account and see what happens next time you buy? 🤷‍♂️

danny_glover09

It's just a Paypal thing

Any payments I've made have been taken from the balance and if not sufficient then from the bank account generally several days later by DD.
Recently it's been instantaneous.
And on occasion, it resorts back to how it used to be with no rhyme or reason
My PayPal balance is always 0. I very rarely sell anything online. It seems a strange way to not have any set pattern or reason. I wouldn't have even noticed if I didn't go on my internet banking this morning and then at dinner time. I knew something had changed and saw it was PayPal after clicking on my latest transactions.