PAYE

Status
Not open for further replies.

svenc

London Blanker NOT
Anyone just see the new????

Apparently over 1 million people will be getting a letter saying they owe money for tax. The average amount will be 1400.

Apparently it was their mistake but some new computer works it out now so has worked out exactly how much we owe or are owed. Those that are owed money the average is just 400.

This money will be regained next tax year.

Muckin_Fuppet

Account Locked
Will be a great feeling for those that get notification they owe 1400...NOT! Can't believe in this day and age mistakes on this scale happen.

Neil ofthe nene

Doing things differently.
Site Supporter
Given that it is a comparatively small number of people I would guess that there would be something special about their calculation that got missed.

svenc

London Blanker NOT
Neil those that are due returns is apparently 4 million people so wouldnt say that that is a small number of people. Over 5 million mistakes.

Neil ofthe nene

Site Supporter
60 million people in Britain. But probably only 1 mistake that applied to 5 million people.

crumpercatcher

FFS I have only just paid back what I owe for the last accountants / HMRC round of **** ups! [:(!]

banksy

Life Member
Site Supporter
And this was from February:

" Minutes of two meetings in September 2009 showing that HMRC knew of problems with the 140m computer system."

Quote:
"But probably only 1 mistake that applied to 5 million people."

So that makes it OK then?
If anybody other than a so-called public servant did that in the real world, they'd swing for it!

[:(][V]

Last edited:

D Wallace

leo
If it was a bank or some corrupt foreign country that owed the money it would probably be wrought off.

Uncle Festa

aka worker1
I'm having trouble getting back over 6000 that the Tax man owes me.

The tax man cannot find my company returns and has had them sent three times,unbelievable!

I'd like to see how long the Inland revenue would wait if I owed them.

Bunch of F****** muppets

Hatman

Drawbag ace
Amazed that this has been allowed to happen. I think that my tax code has been too high & I'll bet that the correction is flawed too in my case, i can see it coming (there's a reason for that that i won't detail here).

Hatman

Drawbag ace
Originally posted by banksy

If anybody other than a so-called public servant did that in the real world, they'd swing for it!

I think that inland rev IT is contracted out & surely there will be at least some liability for mistakes with the company that won the contract?

eric.A

Site Supporter
Iv'e got a demand for over 500 for tax year 07/08 I went through to the office with proof I have paid it it took two of them to sort it out "thats all right sir we will get it corrected"I got a repeat demand Yesterday after 30 mins on the phone she couldn't sort it out " Ill have to give it to someone else to sort it out you have obviously paid it but the computer keeps coming up with a debit" we will contact you. so I'm in still limbo What do they say about computers ,rubbish in rubbish out?

Neil ofthe nene

Site Supporter
And none of us have ever made a mistake in our jobs 'cos we are perfect - right?

Marvin Waggler

Bass Blanker
Originally posted by Neil ofthe nene

And none of us have ever made a mistake in our jobs 'cos we are perfect - right?

No ones saying we're perfect but the mistakes we make don't affect the finances of several million people.

thetraveller

Originally posted by Marvin Waggler

No ones saying we're perfect but the mistakes we make don't affect the finances of several million people.

Try telling that one to the bankers!! The news did say that it mainly affects people who have switched jobs during the tax year.

4 million will have paid too much and can expect a cheque at some point. Maybe in time for xmas.

Neil ofthe nene

Site Supporter

How do you know what jobs we do? Don't you think people who work for HMRC have lives outside work and some may just go fishing and may even be on this forum?

I'm not one of them but I did do a job where a mistake could have affected a large number of people financially. I actually "lost" 1,000,000,000 for 3 days on one occasion.

I do find it interesting that when talking about "The Banks" and "Inland Revenue" people forget that the vast majority of people working for these organisations are just ordinary folks on ordinary wages leading ordinary lives. They are not some phantom organisation populated solely by rich, overpaid fat cats.

gibby

Neil makes a good point.

As I understand it, the cock up arose from a flawed IT system implemented by HMRC. He decision to adopt this system wasnt taken by junior civil servants, most of whom earn 25K p.a or less but by those at the top on six figure salaries. Its the same with the banks, the decisions that resulted in multi-billion pound losses and Government bailing them out with our money were not taken by people working in the call centres or behind the counter in the branches, but by those earning mega bucks at the top.

Marvin Waggler

Bass Blanker

How do you know what jobs we do? Don't you think people who work for HMRC have lives outside work and some may just go fishing and may even be on this forum?

I'm not one of them but I did do a job where a mistake could have affected a large number of people financially. I actually "lost" 1,000,000,000 for 3 days on one occasion.

I do find it interesting that when talking about "The Banks" and "Inland Revenue" people forget that the vast majority of people working for these organisations are just ordinary folks on ordinary wages leading ordinary lives. They are not some phantom organisation populated solely by rich, overpaid fat cats.

How is that yacht moored in Monaco doing[;)]

Status
Not open for further replies.