Pay day

Keith Sparky

Site Supporter
Best pay day was the one I finally reached where we actually still had enough money for the next month without worrying about the next pay day.....

rudd

Serial Blanker
Site Supporter
When I first started work Friday was very special, we would troop up to the pay hall, show your brass motty and receive a little clear envelope full of pound notes. They would all be folded over in such a way that you could count them without opening the envelope (saved any argument if the packet was light). You would see some of the married ones nicking the corner open and squeezing a 50p coin out so they could keep it from the missus. 40 years ago everything went to bank transfer and the pay packets ceased. I really missed being paid in cash right up to the day I retired😢
So did the gangsters and their sawn offs!

Griffo

Site Supporter
If that was where I think it is the Drum ( Denaby Main Hotel) was the hardest pub in Denaby in my youth with the Pig (Reresby Arms) a close second,spent many happy hours in the Pig with my mate Jim Sapey but wouldn't go near the Drum
It was, the pig is now a Mcdonalds and Costa coffee and the Drum a Chinese restaurant. 👍🏼

Nunachuk

Nunachuk
Site Supporter
I can remember being paid in cash during the first few weeks of my RAF career. Marching up to the pay officer, coming smartly to attention and saluting "K8198*** Aircraftman Fraser Sir", the money was on the table infront of you and you had to check it and sign before standing to attention, saluting, about turn and marching out of the office.
Mick it was similar in the Army when I was in basic training. A bench was set up in the corrider and the paymaster would be sat behind it. You had to march up, salute and give your name, rank and number. You then recieved your pay, signed your pay book and told thge paymaster, 'Pay and paybook correct sir`, you saluted again, did an about turn and then you then marched off to the NAAFI bar, for some reason that escapes me! :)

RedhillPhil

Computers verified, riots quelled, wars started.
Site Supporter
Payday is Thursday on t'railway. Still Thursday for my pension. Was always weekly paid but had to go monthly (actually every 28 days so 13 pays a year) when I went into manglement.

Sportsman

Site Supporter
My First paypacket as a technical apprentice at Crompton Parkinson in Chelmsford was £2 10s 2d. for a 48hr week. Out of that I gave my mum £1.00 keep, put £1.00 into a Post Office savings account and frittered away the rest.
We were expected to work 4hrs overtime on a Saturday morning. That was worth 2/- because the extra 12/- I got paid put me into the bracket where I had to pay 10/- N.I. contribution

Maesknoll

Chris
Staff member
Site Supporter
Payday is Thursday on t'railway. Still Thursday for my pension. Was always weekly paid but had to go monthly (actually every 28 days so 13 pays a year) when I went into manglement.

Can’t imagine there are many weekly paid left in the railway, it was in the early 90’s it went to 4 weekly and into the bank, new entrants had no choice, existing employees could stay weekly cash, I believe the weekly cash went and they had to go to bank transfer in the end. It was like having an extra months pay that 13th payday…….

stikflote

Site Supporter
Railway gave us all a loan to help us, while waiting for the monthly pay day to start