Patshull Park - fished a blinder!

Zerkalo

So after the balling in for Bream thread I decided to try to put some of the advice I got into practise and fished Patshull again.

This time on peg 28 on the Hotel Bank. I started fishing at 12 noon and packed up at 7.

I decided to fish it positive. I couldn't resist the temptation to put some balls of groundbait in before I started. This time only 6 balls, so a little less than I'd tried previous times. The baliff had advised my there was a match on yesterday only won with 40lb something, and peg 28 was in the 40s but apparently a snag to the left of the peg had cost the angler 7 potentially match winning Bream. So after a few cast to ascertain the right of the peg was snag free I started fishing over the 6 balls of groundbait I put in.

The first hour brought 4 big 5lb slab sized Bream and a skimmer. I was fishing positively with trusty old Dendrabena Worm on the hook. Pellets going through the feeder. I knew I stoof a chance of a good weight after the first hour and by half past 4 I had 20 big slabs in the net. I carried on catching throughout the day and finished with 35 big slabs at a very conservative estimated average of 4lb. So I make that easy 100lb but probably closer to 150lb.

There was no way I could lift my keepnet out of the water to get a decent pic at the end.

2019-09-02 19.02.32.jpg 2019-09-02 19.02.26.jpg

I'd set myself a goal of catching a ton there and I did it with ease today. Fished a blinder!

johng19

me@home.com
You have made feel like giving it another go, not fished it for maybe 15 to 20 years now. And then only in matches. Nice catch of bream, anywhere that.

Zerkalo

Apparently they've been moving a load of fish over from the smaller lakes with more to come, but what I like about it is the stamp of the fish. I say 4lb average but they went up to about 6/7lb - probably a PB today if I'd weighed it. I was speaking to the baliff about matches and told him what I was told on here, that I should expect 1/4 of what I catch pleasure fishing in a match. So happy to pleasure fish it for now as I think it'll be at least a year before I'm ready to match fish it.

Zerkalo

Yeh they're helpful in there too. Always talk me through the match results and which areas of the lake are fishing.

So after the balling in for Bream thread I decided to try to put some of the advice I got into practise and fished Patshull again.

This time on peg 28 on the Hotel Bank. I started fishing at 12 noon and packed up at 7.

I decided to fish it positive. I couldn't resist the temptation to put some balls of groundbait in before I started. This time only 6 balls, so a little less than I'd tried previous times. The baliff had advised my there was a match on yesterday only won with 40lb something, and peg 28 was in the 40s but apparently a snag to the left of the peg had cost the angler 7 potentially match winning Bream. So after a few cast to ascertain the right of the peg was snag free I started fishing over the 6 balls of groundbait I put in.

The first hour brought 4 big 5lb slab sized Bream and a skimmer. I was fishing positively with trusty old Dendrabena Worm on the hook. Pellets going through the feeder. I knew I stoof a chance of a good weight after the first hour and by half past 4 I had 20 big slabs in the net. I carried on catching throughout the day and finished with 35 big slabs at a very conservative estimated average of 4lb. So I make that easy 100lb but probably closer to 150lb.

There was no way I could lift my keepnet out of the water to get a decent pic at the end.

2019-09-02 19.02.32.jpg 2019-09-02 19.02.26.jpg

I'd set myself a goal of catching a ton there and I did it with ease today. Fished a blinder!
Cracking bag of bream mate!

Peter

'Mugger'
Staff member
Site Supporter
@Zerkalo , not trying to preach fella but that amount of fish in one keepnet is a bit over the top especially if you're fishing a seven hour stint. :(

Superb catch never the less. ;)

Zerkalo

Fished it today and no such keepnet issues unfortunately. The Baliff told me peg 45 has been fishing well close in, in opens and a guy that had 120lb pleasure fishing at 8m. Decided to go for one of the pegs by the hotel instead unfortunately, I should have took his advice. Someone was on peg 28, the peg I fished last time, told me he always fishes that peg and reckoned there was an extra 6 inches of water in the lake from all the rain. I went on peg 31 and had 10 skimmers all day. The angler on peg 28 told me had 4 Bream early on and then went dead for him too!

Oh well. That's Bream fishing, and fishing in general, for you.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Id imagine the fact your good session was in warm and calm conditions 3 months into the summer and your tough session was in fairly cold and windy Autumn conditions after a couple weeks of poor weather would explain the difference in the fishing as much as anything else. The weather really has been awful recently, I'm going to get a couple sessions in this time next week and that'll be my first time on the bank since mid September which makes this my longest break in a good couple years.

Zerkalo

Yaah the good session was warm but a bit a breeze still. Today I think I just wasn't on the fish and all the rain recently, as well as the nights getting colder couln't have helped.

I think I might get one more session in here at the most. Patshull has a long closed season from around the start of the year to August for coarse fishing, so it only leave a few month window to fish it in good conditions. It's a bit depressing to think about Winter with all of it ahead of us as I love being on the bank but still have silver fish in commercials which I think will be my main port of call, and the weir pool near my house for Chub.

I was hoping the fish would be shoaled up in the deeper water but apparently they was down the bank and close in! I should have listened to the baliff really. I stuck it out on the one line hoping for the tip to go round, probably could have caught some perch close in, but wanted the Bream really. Still got loads of bait left so might try again tomorrow if the rain holds out but I'm not expecting too much unless I maybe try that peg 45.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Yeah is depressing with winter coming, we've probably only got about another 3 weeks before fishing starts becoming tough again. Such a pain we're getting all this wind and rain at the momentum whilst the temperatures are still decent as it won't be long before the frosts start :(

Zerkalo

That's when I'll be switching to Roach on a commercial, so many in there that hopefully it will still be easy to catch. When we switch the clocks gets me. Only get half a day before it gets dark.

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
Now you see what being an MD member can do after reading all the hints and tips. Nice net-full. :upthumb: