Patient anglers don't catch fish?

Status
Not open for further replies.

piroflip

Did anyone see the Fred Scuttle look-alike on last nights fishing program Tales from the Riverbank.
He boldly, and in my opinion stupidly, declared show me a patient angler and I will show you an angler who hasnt caught anything. What a load of nonsense.

Btw, to younger forum members, Fred Scuttle was a very funny character invented by the late, great Benny Hill before his shows were chopped by the trendy left spoil sports.

Don

Sounds like an insult to Fred Scuttle(evening viewers) lol, patience is indeed a virtue and in angling its a must have.

Yeah poor old Benny Hill all that laughter he gave to us and his heart was broken by some trendy lefty at the Beeb,now why doesnt that surprise me?

Benji

Account Locked
But did he have a point, we are encouraged to lift and drop a bait.

BARRYBLOKE

Account Locked
I must admit, Im not a patient angler at all. If something isnt happening in a couple of minutes Im back in and fiddling around trying to make it happen. It works for me.
Didnt see the programme though.

Ady

Formerly Adymon
Originally posted by BARRYBLOKE

I must admit, Im not a patient angler at all. If something isnt happening in a couple of minutes Im back in and fiddling around trying to make it happen. It works for me.

Same here mate, thats why i find it hard to sit behind a feeder and wait, which is what im going to do on the canal today. Thats why i love the waggler so much, its so versatile and you can make things happen anywhere and everywhere!

midge99

There is some true in it as Barrybloke say, you have to work to catch the fish, by using a chuck and hope approach you will only catch the odd mug fish.
Even when I am on a pleasure session I have my match head on and try to catch more than the others. If some one is catching more I want to know why.

maxwell_hung

caster blaster
I agree with his comments.

My dad came with me for the day out the other week, he wasn't fishing just watching.
I was catching quite well on pretty much anything but no ones else on the lake was really. They were getting the odd fish, that's it.
At one point he asked me why I was catching and no one else was. My answer was; they weren't feeding any bait and they were all sat doing nothing.

If nothing else, unless it's the darkest depths of winter I believe you need to keep a little bait trickling. On top of that re casting or moving your bait.

I think I would get bored if I was sat there doing nothing all day

Zebedee

Originally posted by Adymon

Originally posted by BARRYBLOKE

Same here mate, thats why i find it hard to sit behind a feeder and wait, which is what im going to do on the canal today. Thats why i love the waggler so much, its so versatile and you can make things happen anywhere and everywhere!

Sit behind a feeder and wait ???????

I dont think so...
just like waggler fishing,there are many things you can try to improve your bite rate and as you put it....make things happen.

Don

I think some of you have the wrong idea about patience, it doesnt mean you have to be comatose/lazy lmao, and a busy angler is usually a succesful angler but sometimes playing the waiting game for a specimen fish is well worth the wait. I didnt see the prog either by the way but Fred Skuttle caught my attention lol!

crowder

im inpatient, but it always works, im constantly changing tactics, or changing lines.

Enigma

Armchair Carper
I agree in fact I'm so patient I have to use a bivvi, bite alarms, a bedchair (with sleeping bag) and bring a portable TV...LOL Carp fishing has to be the most patient of all angling

stikflote

Site Supporter
i can be patient if im on the feeder or tip ,but if im on the pole or float rod then im always chopping an changing so as to catch

gibby

Patience does not mean sitting on your butt all day and waiting for bites. Ring the changes, different baits, different hook lengths and alter the depth

stemlfc

Steve
I consider myself quite patient, sometimes i just love to sit there and wait for a bite. But sometimes you just can't seem to sit still, chopping and changing etc.

kleinboet

Many years ago, it was explained to me why you fish the margins. I was also told that "if you haven't had a bite in 20mins, you are not where the fish are" He explained that big Carp "patrol" the margins, looking for food and there should be Carp "on patrol" past your hook, at least 1 every 20 mins, if you are in the patrol area.
Hence the statement.

Status
Not open for further replies.