PASTE

Status
Not open for further replies.

SPAM

Does Paste work on carp puddles all year round or is it a summer bait, if so what water temp should I look for before trying.
Has anyone got any paste recipes I could try

Cheers

A bad days fishing is better than a good day at work

Ian C

Hi Greg

I've never used pastes, so can't vouch for them, but came across these for you...

Recipes for pastes and boilies

Doughballs

Hope these are of some use.

Ian C

Polepot

Poles
Hi Greg

Welcome to the site.

Personally I think past is best during the warmer months say March to October. In the winter the fish seam to respond to smaller lighter baits.

This view is based on my limited experience of commercial fisheries in Bedfordshire

Poles

Great info, great guys, great fun, thats Maggot Drowners

alan edmonds

Hi mate,
I really like the question and for my sake as much as yours I hope you get a shed full of educated replies.I have used paste since I was a small boy, then because it was there and cost like nothing, I use it now because I caught fish on it then and I catch fish on it now.I have read so many articles about how to make all these different types and flavours and stuff, I'm sure you have too...well, mate, the finest paste I have every used is one that is flavoured by time. You know when you're a kid and the paste is a few days old in the school holidays, but you carry on using it until your grubby fingers have been in and out of the stuff so many times that your dirty fingers colour the stuff light brown..well that's my favourite recipe mate..there's not one guy out there who hasn't used this fatal bait in the past and there's a lot that still do. On a serious note the time factor to me is one that I will always cherish.. you must have smelt that slightly sweet smell that the paste takes on after about four days, but kept airtight in the tub all you have to do is work it again, or kneed it, to give it that slightly firmer texture.
The only thing that I have discovered to improve results is the use of paste hooks, some boohoo the idea, I did at first, but when things are going well, like when they are taking fast, then I find I get better results with paste hooks, and I know the reason, I miss a couple but they have another go because the paste is still there, because of the paste hook shank holding onto just enough paste to keep the bite going. Another thing I do, is to pinch on a bit of bread flake immediately upline to the paste so the whole thing looks like one bait, especially when things are going ok and their heads are down..this gives them a false sense of security ..they're snatching away at the flake..but when they take the paste with the same force..they're hooked....I will follow your replies with interest,someone will tell you to flavour it with all sorts of strange things..to be honest.. I have caught more fish on time matured paste than any other bait..including maggot..and I suppose I always will..especially good bait for bream..in fact it would be my number one bait for bream,,,but I'm not an expert,,just a guy who has used paste for many years and never had to mix anything exotic to produce results..

Cheers mate ,,Alan

alan

Newt

'Lures Rule!!'
quote:Originally posted by Ian C

.... I've never used pastes, so can't vouch for them, but came across these for you ...
Doughballs ....
I can vouch for these - at least for fish over here and my best guess would be for fish over there as well.

Newt Vail

Ian C

quote:Originally posted by alan edmonds
in fact it would be my number one bait for bream,,,but I'm not an expert,,just a guy who has used paste for many years and never had to mix anything exotic to produce results..

If experts need experience, I'd say that qualifies you as an expert Alan [;)][:)]
Welcome to MD's [:)]

Ian C

norm

welcome alan
exerlent post
but please leave some spaces

Simon R

Site Supporter
In my experience you can catch on paste all year round but in the winter months you might have a very, very long wait between bites. Personally I would wait until the last of the frosts have gone (May perhaps?) before I started using it regularly.

Regarding what Alan posted, I would certainly agree with the time element. A friend of mine used to make up a huge ball of cheesepaste at the start of the year and then leave it in the boot of his car 'to mature' for six months until the river season opened again. When he unwrapped it you could smell it from a hundred yards away if the wind was in the right direction but chub (and carp on the stillwaters) loved it.

Regarding another point Alan made - what are paste hooks?

Tight Lines

Simon

MALC

I've used Paste for years also (as thats almost all my Grandad allowed me to use)[;)] and i'll carry on using it in it's many different forms and flavours.

In answer to the question will it work all year round thats a big YES as long as you have the confidence in it.[;)]

To me Meat and Paste are my 2 favourite baits and i never leave home without either of them.[:D][:D]

If you use the search facility on the top right of the screen you'll get a few results for different recipes that have been posted before.[8D]

MALC
IT'S CATCHING ...BUT ARE YOU !!!

The percher

Bolton 'till I die
I love using paste, for carp on stilwaters, and have started to use it on rivers to. It is something you can use all year round, altho i favour it in summer months. It's killer on the pole with ure float, hardly any weight and a big lump of paste. It's helped me catch sum clonking carp plus you can freeze it if you want to use some for next time.

carper2002

'Ronnie'
hi spam welcome to m/D's like you I'm not using paste but I'm looking forward to experimenting with it and fishing with it
heres to us both having a cracking season with it loads of luck bud
cheers

RONNIE (carper2002) a smoggy and proud

Status
Not open for further replies.