paste

jimbo1946

Why is paste considered to be only for summer use? Must be a good reason,just can't figure it out.Anyone enlighten me?

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
During winter, the fish slow down on everything, including feeding. That's why anglers tend to come off maggot at times and go with pinkies or come off the 8mm pellet and move onto 4mm pellet. If using paste during the Summer, the paste on the hook looks to be a large bait (to a fish) so probably will shy away from it in Winter but you could try a smaller hook with a small amount of paste on, this works on our club waters. I'm not saying it's the full reason, it's just what I've observed on my local stillwaters.

Northantslad

'Any indications?
Cooler water temperatures also may affect the breakdown of the paste too and at a time and as uk said, their appetite slows.

Pclaret

Silverfish match on Sunday on a carp water, gonna try paste for the skimmers as you catch nearly as many of those as carp on paste in summer, and hard to target them specifically otherwise. Hoping the skimmers outdo the race on the small roach.

Tinca Steve

Irregular member.
Site Supporter
I had about 40lb Thursday using paste on a 18's, l use a meat punch that has a plunger so l get the same size plug each time, this I mold around the hook.

Dusty

My mate had 80lb in paste yesterday. Might still be good for another month or two.

frothy

Paste can still have it time during the winte, if it’s mild especially if warm rain water is going in warming the water after a cold spell.

davylad

Site Supporter
I had a decent day on it yesterday, but not as many as I have been getting after the little cold snap.

ukzero1

Site Supporter
I can't wait to get shut of this flu. I have in mind a fruit based paste to try out on the club waters. I know, some will say fruity flavours are for Summer...but is it? Curiosity has the better of me, I think it's time for me to bust some myths, or prove them.

rd115

Non-catcher of Barbel
Site Supporter
I can't wait to get shut of this flu. I have in mind a fruit based paste to try out on the club waters. I know, some will say fruity flavours are for Summer...but is it? Curiosity has the better of me, I think it's time for me to bust some myths, or prove them.

Now it's getting a little cooler this time of year i might start with the punched bread with a little Sticky Baits Spray (other brands available) for colour and flavour.

PAB

Site Supporter
plenty of ripe fruit like black berries and so on falling into the water naturally at the moment I have used elderberry's before with very good results so why not fruity flavors

ukzero1

Site Supporter
Exactly my thoughts, but I have a little 'extra' or 2 to add to mine. ;):giggle:

Silver fan 82

Fruit flavours can work well in the winter too. Tutti fruitti, pineapple, tangerine, strawberry can work wonders for carp,in the winter.

ukzero1

Site Supporter
Boilie bans are easy to get round, (trust me, I'm a bailiff). ;)