Paste Springs

Status
Not open for further replies.

keith

Gandhi
Site Supporter
Has anyone used the Korum paste springs yet.The idea is to fish paste moulded round a spring attatched to a hair rig.Also a new company(to me anyway)has developed springs or coils really for catmeat.Bit controversial at moment.Banned at whiteacres.what are your thoughts.

Keith

esox.20

04/11/01 - 12/10/15
In Memoriam
I havent used them and to be honest I have no intention of using them. I have grave doubts as to the safety of these things if swallowed by the fish, following a breakage. I much prefer to either use a bead on the hair to mould the paste around or a "paste mate feom Enterprise Tackle. John

chill out go fishing

MALC

Keith,

Must admit i've seen both items but would not use either of them.
Other than the reasons that John has given above i feel that they are more a gimmick than practical.

If having a problem with Paste on a hair try one of the following tips.
Put a small shot or bead on the hair and mould the Paste around this.
Put a Pellet or two on the hair then mould the Paste around this, then if the Paste does come off you will still have bait on the hook.

Regards the Catmeat coils a better way is to either use a bayonet or to make sure the catmeat is chilled right down as this make's it firmer and it will with stand casting better.

Malc
Fish with Friends @ MaggotDrowning.com and take s from Dirk

keith

Gandhi
Site Supporter
My thoughts are very similar to those mentioned.The thought of loose metal in the fish causes me concern.You suggest a small shot on the hair but surely this is the same.

Golfs a game for people who can't catch fish

MALC

Dead right Keith,
But when i've shown people the shot way i've always used a size 8 or smaller with the thinking that in the event of the shot comeing off it would either go straight out of the gill cover or pass straight through the fishes system without causing any problems.

Personally though i don't use anything to mould the paste around other than another bit of bait if i got to cast a long distance on the feeder.

Malc
Fish with Friends @ MaggotDrowning.com and take s from Dirk

Emptynet

I have used Korum Paste Springs to good effect at Mallory Park, every fish hooked in the mouth with spring empty on the outside. If you do decide to use them, ensure you purchase a minnow mesh landing net, otherwise spring will get caught in net and break off.

bart4real

It is the corkscrew effect coils that have been banned at Whiteacres and not the Korum paste springs, although there are far better ways of hair rigging paste or catmeat and I can see why Clint Elliot has insisted on them being banned. They seem barbaric! I fished Heyford a few years ago in the ACA Masters for Normark and I was shown a very good method of hair rigging paste by Rob Hitchens who started this method. This involves putting three number 8 shot on the line on the hair which keeps the paste on perfectly. We were fishing paste on the feeder a few years ago so you had to have something which kept it on the hair. The shot were spaced out and not bulked.

keith

Gandhi
Site Supporter
Cheers all for the responses.

Definately a no no then.The shot seems a better idea if they pass through the fishes digestive system.Is there any evidence of harm to fish with the no8 shot.

Keith.

Golfs a game for people who can't catch fish

Status
Not open for further replies.