Paste rig

Stewie74

Site Supporter
Mixed results with the paste today. Went off like a train, 4 fish for 10lb in the first 10 minutes. Struggled a bit with the float, seemed to have a mind if it’s own, one put in the float was exactly right, next put in it was sitting up out of the water, then sitting under the surface.

Had a few goes during the match, caught about 15 carp in it during 3spells.

Ridiculously effective when it comes together, definitely something I’ll be doing more of.

Thanks as always for the hints and tips 👍

Total

Site Supporter
Mixed results with the paste today. Went off like a train, 4 fish for 10lb in the first 10 minutes. Struggled a bit with the float, seemed to have a mind if it’s own, one put in the float was exactly right, next put in it was sitting up out of the water, then sitting under the surface.

Had a few goes during the match, caught about 15 carp in it during 3spells.

Ridiculously effective when it comes together, definitely something I’ll be doing more of.

Thanks as always for the hints and tips 👍
Persist with it, it does get better....;)(y).....Just for reference sake, please describe your end rig and if you shotted your rig...(y)

Total

Site Supporter
Preston innovations Paste 1 float (0.3G I think), 0.17 guru n-gauge mainline to 0.15 size 12 Kkm . No shot in sight👍
I'd suggest upping your gear....Especially at Decoy, they will slaughter you on that setup...;)....0.2 mainline, minimum .17 hook link and get a float you can use with some some shot on it!......Minimum .5gram;)......Shot/and plumb to the bottom of the bristle.....Allow paste to register on float and hang on!!:love::ROFLMAO:

Expanda

A couple of observations I've found about "float settling under surface" With the bait anchored firmly on the bottom, if the tow or wind moves the float away it will effectively drag it under. Gently bringing float back to over the bait will bring the bristle back up.
If there's a silty bottom with a lot of fish in the swim (as there can be when paste fishing) they can gouge out a hollow altering the depth, often by several inches. Of course this applies to any fishing on the deck, but it's more noticeable with paste fishing.
My own preference is no shot at all and have at least an inch of bristle showing. There will usually be a lot of movement with the float and you have to discipline yourself not to react till you get a really positive take. Having said all that I think paste is probably my favourite method, can be frustrating but very effective and great fun.

Stewie74

Site Supporter
A couple of observations I've found about "float settling under surface" With the bait anchored firmly on the bottom, if the tow or wind moves the float away it will effectively drag it under. Gently bringing float back to over the bait will bring the bristle back up.
If there's a silty bottom with a lot of fish in the swim (as there can be when paste fishing) they can gouge out a hollow altering the depth, often by several inches. Of course this applies to any fishing on the deck, but it's more noticeable with paste fishing.
My own preference is no shot at all and have at least an inch of bristle showing. There will usually be a lot of movement with the float and you have to discipline yourself not to react till you get a really positive take. Having said all that I think paste is probably my favourite method, can be frustrating but very effective and great fun.
Yes, there was definitely a lot of float movement, right from the get go. As well as the 4 early fish I must have struck into thin air at least 3 or 4 times during that 10 minute period.

Success came later when I got my head around the fact that waiting for the float to bury and stay buried was the way to go, even though I’d seen it in numerous YouTube vids it was difficult not to strike as I normally would