Paste fishing for first time

Foul hooked

Site Supporter
Down at the lakes yesterday, one of the regulars was fishing paste, something I had seen him doing before and he was catching well whereas I was struggling on corn.
After a while, he came over to me with a handful and showed me how to mould it onto the hook and pot it in.
Second put in and I was into a small carp. Half a dozen more and I was a convert. That stuff was deadly. I am off to local tackle shop today to stock up on milled expander and am going to experiment with one or two different flavourings perhaps.
It’s certainly a different way of fishing and takes a bit of getting used to, but once I had the hang of it, not striking at any little knocks etc, but waiting until the float buried itself (a bit like sitting on your hands when feeder fishing for bream ), boy did it work.
I was thinking too, that the method might also work well for other soft baits that are reluctant to stay on the hook (don’t know why but I have had an idea that garlic pate might work well for a while)

Dave Spence

MD virtual champion 2020. Golden Pie winner 2018.
Site Supporter
You will soon get hooked mate (no pun intended). There are infinite variations of flavours you can work with and it is very rewarding when you hit upon a winner. When mixing a new idea be sure to write down the ingredients and amounts, I once made a mix that won me a match first time out but I could not remember how much of each ingredient I had used.

Paul Cresswell

Site Supporter
It’s not just flavours, colours make a difference and then there’s the different consistencies - always learning with paste. It’s also good in the margins where I tend to fish 6” over depth and wait for everything to shoot off!

Total

Site Supporter
It’s not just flavours, colours make a difference and then there’s the different consistencies - always learning with paste. It’s also good in the margins where I tend to fish 6” over depth and wait for everything to shoot off!
Green is always a brilliant colour for paste and I've had many good weights in matches on it...You try getting a bite on green expander pellet, it's like putting cyanide on the hook!:love::ROFLMAO:

OldTaff

Site Supporter
I love paste fishing and mourn the death of Sonubaits Fibre Paste which was just insane at getting results.

Now I’m a convert to the Sonubaits one-to-one paste, comes with a pole pot in every bag that acts as a measure and for each pot full of paste you add one pot of water to give you a base mix. Once you have the base mix then you can add further water as/if you want to vary the consistency right through to super sloppy Although I’ve needed to go far off the base consistency on the waters I fish.

Current killer pastes for me are Krill & Squid, F1 and Supercrush Green which are sending the tench on an estate lake I fish a bit batty much to my surprise.

SteveAmo

Love fishing paste but you can end up being a nervous wreck!

Been told just let float bury before striking!

Shame fibre paste no longer available though

davylad

Site Supporter
I'm not keen on fibre paste, a bit too sticky. Much prefer a ground bait mix, with one or two additives. I was catching well on it earlier this year, but it's not been producing apart from odd ones of late.

Godber

Fruity Susan, Nobice and Inventor of W@nkles.
Site Supporter
Green Swimstim, is there anything else as good?