Paste?..and how to make it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

waxlion1

OK people

I know I'm in for some stick, but how do you make paste that will stay on the dam hook?...

Waxlion1
hello.gif

Newt

'Lures Rule!!'
For me -

Start with the one less egg than you would for boilies and mix the eggs together well.

Add odd items and stir.

Then add base powder and keep mixing until you have a nice sticky mess.

Let the thing sit for around 10-15 minutes so the base powder soaks up as much as it will. Add more powder a little at a time until the consistency suits - sort of like putty.

Should hold a couple days at room temp or freeze/refrigerate as desired.

If you don't make your own boilies, start with 2 eggs and lots more powder than you thing you will need.

If you use too little powder, it will never get stiff enough to stay on. Too little and it gets dry and crumbly and won't stay on.

Newt Vail

MALC

Hi Waxy here goes.
Sorry if it goes on a bit but it's a subject i've played around with for years firstly i'll list the cheap and easy one's.
The quantity quoted will make enough for a normal match situation (venue's like Drayton i double the volume)
I'll list them by number then if you've any questions i can answer them specific to each mix
MIX 1
4oz trout pellet, 8oz fishmeal, 2 teaspoons wheat gluten, 10 fl oz hot water.
Soak pellets for 10 mins in the water, then stir in fishmeal then gluten knead and mix to texture. If to hard use either water or liquid pellet to soften.
I use this one on venue's that contain smaller carp upto about 11/2lb as a start mix.
Fished on local new pools for match weights upto 50lb of smaller carp. Normally this mix becomes useless after a few months.
MIX 2
4oz trout pellet, 8oz fishmeal, 4oz peanut butter, 2 teaspoons wheat gluten, 10 fl oz hot water.
Soak pellets and peanut butter in water for 10 mins (stir regularly) then stir in fishmeal then gluten, knead and mix to texture.
Instead of Peanut Butter almost anything can be used such as Marmite, Golden Syrup, Chocolate Spread
Mixes like these have accounted for numerous match wins on local carp waters although each mix only seams to catch for a few matches then it's not so effective for a few months.
MIX 3
4oz trout pellet, 6oz fishmeal, 4oz crushed tiger nut powder, 4 teaspoons gluten, 15 fl oz hot water.
Soak pellets & tiger powder for 10mins (stir reg) then and fishmeal & gluten.
This mix has accounted for four match weights over 150lb from Drayton Res when next peg also on paste have only made 100lb. Good mix for larger carp that have seen most things.
MIX 4
1 tin catmeat, 8oz pellet powder, 6oz fishmeal, VDE glm (as needed),gluten (as needed).
Mix catmeat, powder & fishmeal together and soften with glm as needed add gluten sparingly as needed to stiffen.
This mix can be a killer on venue's that ban pellet but allow paste. Fish over riddled catmeat & meat.
Caught numerous 100lb plus bags on this one and it only costs about 1.
ALL THE ABOVE CAN BE SPICED UP WITH APPROXIMATELY 5ML ACTIVE-8 TO PROLONG THEIR EFFECTIVENESS. OR ANY OTHER CARP FLAVOUR. BETAIN IS VERY GOOD.
The above four are as you can tell very cheap and most items you proberly already got in your fishing kit or kitchen.
Hope these help a bit.
Just making a cuppa and then i'll post again.
Malc

ghost.gif ZIPPY CURSE CLUB MEMBER 001

MALC

Got my coffee and now for part 2.

I personally use Gluten rather than eggs to stiffen my homemade pastes because i'd rather eat the eggs myself and i found that the mix can go foul quite quick with eggs.
Another good binding agent is Gelitine but i have trouble getting unflavoured type round here.

With the shop bought mixes such as Hydro Paste and the like although some of them have a water line on the packet (as a guide) i recomend that when using them for the first time you dont use all the mix or add all the water straight away.
If you keep a bit of the powder back you can stiffen the mix up if you've made it to wet at first.
All the packet mixes work well even when mixed together to create a different flavour.

You can use any Boile base mix to make paste just follow the instructions on them minus the boiling stage, (can work out dear).

Are you trying to use the paste on the pole or feeder/waggler.
If it's the pole you want it to be as soft as possible so you can lift straight into the bite. Try putting a cable tie 6 to 10" away from your hook and drape the line over this and ship out then turn the pole and lower the paste into the water.

If it's for the feeder/waggler then you need to make the paste either stickyer or harder so it will with stand the cast this is where the Gluten comes in as it makes the paste stringy and helps to keep it on the hook.

Hope some of the above is helpfull if you want any thing else just shout.

Malc

ghost.gif ZIPPY CURSE CLUB MEMBER 001

MALC

Well i thought it was time to bring this one back up and see how you've got on with your paste Wayne.

Have you tried any yet if so has it worked and did you catch on it.

If you ain't tried it yet give it a go at Drayton on the 20th May as the carp have now started to come out on it on the pole line.

I'll be useing it there as well as the Bagging Wagg if the fish are up.

So come on Wayne let us know!!

Malc
Fish with Friends @ MaggotDrowning.com bounce.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.