Passed my LGV theory today

feldri

Site Supporter
Spent over 40 years driving artics, local, distance and continental. I've driven every type of tractor unit and pulled almost every trailer. I even owned my own units toward the end of my career. I always wanted to be a LGV (HGV) driver as a kid and as soon as I came out of the army I went into driving.
One tip I would give you, is stay away from Tilts. They are a real pain to load and tip, and virtually impossible in high winds.
I found curtain-siders the best trailers to pull, especially the new-ish ones with the reinforced curtains. Belly tankers are also easy work, carrying cement or lime powders. Tippers are easy work during summer, not so much in winter,(especially if you have to dig out 30 tons of wet granite chips that have frozen in overnight). Not a lot of money in tippers either. Best money is fuel tankers, 60 odd grand a year for artic.
Any questions you need an answer to, pm me and I'll try and answer them.

Tristar

Well done! (y)

Just think, pass all the tests and drive a tanker. "RD115" could be your CB handle?

"Rubber Duck 115" :p(y)

Love that film.

rd115

The Touch ™
Site Supporter
Spent over 40 years driving artics, local, distance and continental. I've driven every type of tractor unit and pulled almost every trailer. I even owned my own units toward the end of my career. I always wanted to be a LGV (HGV) driver as a kid and as soon as I came out of the army I went into driving.
One tip I would give you, is stay away from Tilts. They are a real pain to load and tip, and virtually impossible in high winds.
I found curtain-siders the best trailers to pull, especially the new-ish ones with the reinforced curtains. Belly tankers are also easy work, carrying cement or lime powders. Tippers are easy work during summer, not so much in winter,(especially if you have to dig out 30 tons of wet granite chips that have frozen in overnight). Not a lot of money in tippers either. Best money is fuel tankers, 60 odd grand a year for artic.
Any questions you need an answer to, pm me and I'll try and answer them.

To start with i'm just looking to get some experience driving rigids (class 2 in old money? :unsure: ) and thinking maybe HIAB licence soon after (so i can operate one of them grabber crane things, like them flat bed lorries the builders merchants use to deliver bricks) seems to attract a decent wage.

Then maybe in a few years go for the C+E and eventually ADR for fuel tankers once i'm comfortable.

feldri

Site Supporter
To start with i'm just looking to get some experience driving rigids (class 2 in old money? :unsure: ) and thinking maybe HIAB licence soon after (so i can operate one of them grabber crane things, like them flat bed lorries the builders merchants use to deliver bricks) seems to attract a decent wage.

Then maybe in a few years go for the C+E and eventually ADR for fuel tankers once i'm comfortable.
You can get your ADR while you are driving rigids. Last time I talked to a builders merchants driver he was on 18 grand a year, really poor money.
Fuel tankers also come in 4,6 and 8 wheelers, not just artics. Delivering heating oil to residential sites is not an artic job. :)

Arch

Site Supporter

Get your HIAB and you could get on with a power company. We have HIAB drivers at work. A Steady hand is required erecting a pole in between 11KV power lines.

nutmeg

Site Supporter
No fun driving on our motorways anymore, did it for about 10 years, both artics, and rigids. I wouldnt go back to it now not even for £50k a year plus expenses of course.
It does however teach you to read the road, and to be aware of whats happening, all around you, and as far as you can see on the road ahead.

Dave Spence

MD virtual champion 2020. Golden Pie winner 2018.
Site Supporter
It's really refreshing to hear of someone, not happy with their lot, getting off their backsides and trying to change things sooner than moaning about it. You, my friend, are inspirational and an example to us all.

rd115

The Touch ™
Site Supporter
I've put another iron in the fire 🔥 I've applied for bus driver at Notts City transport. They claim earnings up to 25k pa and the bonus is I don't have to pay for the training.

Hopefully they see it as a positive that I already have the provisional entitlement and can pass the theory easily.

Dave Spence

MD virtual champion 2020. Golden Pie winner 2018.
Site Supporter
I've put another iron in the fire 🔥 I've applied for bus driver at Notts City transport. They claim earnings up to 25k pa and the bonus is I don't have to pay for the training.

Hopefully they see it as a positive that I already have the provisional entitlement and can pass the theory easily.
Fingers crossed for you me duck🤞

Silver fan 82

It's a different ball game to HGV driving mate. I know a few bus drivers, alot drive both buses and HGV.
I think you will prefer driving either one or the other from what they say.
But it's another string to your bow and paid for plus your guaranteed a job once you've passed.
Driving buses will give you good experience of driving large vehicles if you decide to carry on with your HGV training.

rd115

The Touch ™
Site Supporter
It's a different ball game to HGV driving mate. I know a few bus drivers, alot drive both buses and HGV.
I think you will prefer driving either one or the other from what they say.
But it's another string to your bow and paid for plus your guaranteed a job once you've passed.
Driving buses will give you good experience of driving large vehicles if you decide to carry on with your HGV training.

I figure a couple years down the line of being a PCV driver, if I ever wanted to get a company to train me up for LGV at their expense they may look on that favourably.

I know it's rare but I think companies like Stobarts train people up from scratch? 🤔 there are probably others.

Silver fan 82

I figure a couple years down the line of being a PCV driver, if I ever wanted to get a company to train me up for LGV at their expense they may look on that favourably.

I know it's rare but I think companies like Stobarts train people up from scratch? 🤔 there are probably others.
I've heard that Stobarts do but that is quite a rarity. It's hard enough trying to find a company that taken new drivers with no experience.
There is a shortage of drivers at the moment so maybe more companies are taking on new drivers?