Passed my LGV theory today

rd115

The Touch ™
Site Supporter
Took me 16 weeks to get my licence back after sending off to get my LGV provisional entitlements added but was finally able to book in my theory tests for today 🙂

100 question multiple choice theory followed by 19 clips of hazard perception.

I did revise for both about 3 months ago but gave up a bit when realised it was going to take an age to get my hands on my licence. I did some last minute swatting up over the last couple evenings and felt fairly confident for the questions, not so much for the hazard perception.

Went in this morning to sit the multiple choice part at 8am sharp. Seemed to get no end of awkward questions that I hadn't even read about when I studied 😮 so I thought I'd got too many wrong and flunked it 😬

Turns out I'd been a little hard on myself, managed to get 94/100 correct with the pass mark being 85/100 so was well chuffed. I'm sure I fluked a lot of them though 😆

After a 30 minute break I was back in for the hazard perception part, the bit I was dreading as the practice software I bought was terrible 😕

It's hard to feel how you're doing on that but I knew one scene where I clicked a little late. But turns out I scored:

10 for the double hazard clip
Scored 5 on 14 clips
Scored 4 on 3 clips
Scored 3 on 1 clip (the one where I knew I clicked too late)

For a mark of 95/100 with the pass mark being 67/100

So shocked but really chuffed over all and another hurdle cleared on my mission to become a lorry driver 😀 just need to get back to work and save a couple months pennies so I can book and pay for the practical element and driver CPC etc.

Krh57

Site Supporter
Well done, glad I haven’t got to go through that again ! Good luck with the CPC and the driving test. Just take your time and drive carefully.
All the best

Silver fan 82

Took me 16 weeks to get my licence back after sending off to get my LGV provisional entitlements added but was finally able to book in my theory tests for today 🙂

I did revise for both about 3 months ago but gave up a bit when realised it was going to take an age to get my hands on my licence. I did some last minute swatting up over the last couple evenings and felt fairly confident for the questions, not so much for the hazard perception.

Went in this morning to sit the multiple choice part at 8am sharp. Seemed to get no end of awkward questions that I hadn't even read about when I studied 😮 so I thought I'd got too many wrong and flunked it 😬

Turns out I'd been a little hard on myself, managed to get 94/100 correct with the pass mark being 85/100 so was well chuffed. I'm sure I fluked a lot of them though 😆

After a 30 minute break I was back in for the hazard perception part, the bit I was dreading as the practice software I bought was terrible 😕

It's hard to feel how you're doing on that but I knew one scene where I clicked a little late. But turns out I scored:

Scored 5 on 14 clips
Scored 4 on 3 clips

So shocked but really chuffed over all and another hurdle cleared on my mission to become a lorry driver 😀 just need to get back to work and save a couple months pennies so I can book and pay for the practical element and driver CPC etc.
Well done mate! Very good scores. Onwards and upwards 👍

robert d

Allways trying to improve
Site Supporter

Scored 5 on 14 clips
Scored 4 on 3 clips

Well done 👏

Scribe

Official Supplier of Pork Pies to the Drowners
Site Supporter
Chuffed for you Richard, onwards and upwards. :upthumb:

RedhillPhil

Computers verified, riots quelled, wars started.
Site Supporter
Excellent news for you. I understand that there's a nationwide shortage of HGV drivers.

rd115

The Touch ™
Site Supporter
Excellent news for you. I understand that there's a nationwide shortage of HGV drivers.

Yeah. It seems since Brexit a lot of the cheap labour has returned home so there's a shortage in quite a few roles now and seems to have driven the wages up too.

Can expect to earn roughly £23-26k as a Cat C driver and 29-34k as a Cat C+E depending on experience which was unheard of a few years ago.

If anyone fancies a career change I think it's worth doing, it'll be decades yet before they let driverless lorries loose on our roads 😆

I'm hoping to get a couple years under my belt Cat C and then go for the C+E articulated lorries with a view to eventually getting my ADR licence to drive hazardous goods like petrol tankers, dangerous chemicals etc that's where the proper money is 45k+ some are paying 🙂

Last edited:

Geoff P

The MOGerator
Staff member
Site Supporter
God. I think back to when I left the Army and my first job was driving tankers for Hemphills of Glasgow. Carrying all kinds of liquids from detergent, malt vinegar to Petroleum spirit, Phenol and Sulphuric acid etc and the only training we had was how to put on the hazard suit and fill in our log books. Taking home £80 (before tax) a week if we were lucky.

That was in the 70s.

Last edited:

OldTaff

Site Supporter
Well done on passing the theory, now the fun learning starts.

I‘ve held C+E for decades and I’m much more happy not hauling loads around the country anymore (although I’d never let it lapse). Remeber that the big money on artics is for long haul, nights out in the cab, driving in all weathers amongst thousands of numpties. ADR is very expensive to get and pays a premium because essentially, especially with fuel tankers, you are driving a 40 ton bomb around. Get your head around the driving and working hours legislation really quickly because that will trip you up faster than anything.

It’s not just the Eatern Europeans returning home that’s led to the driver shortage but the increasing legislative and training requirements which have driven experienced lads off the road.

Nunachuk

Nunachuk
Site Supporter
I used to run a driver training/Hazmat centre for the Military here in Germany. Part of my duties was to be a theory test invigilator and unfortunately the number of times that I have seen people crumble on the tests due to pressure that they put on themselves was terrible. You have done very well with your scores! I don't wish to preach, but three words that might be of use to you, (if you haven't heard them before), are Concentration, Observation and Anticipation.
On the subject of anticipation, the best driving advice I was ever given was 'Was to expect drivers around you to do the most stupid/Dangerous thing possible and be prepared for it!

Good luck on your LGV driver training and test!

:)

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
It’s the sweeping out of the LGV at the end of the day that would confuse me Mark. I mean …. Where would you plug the sweeping brush into ? See …. Always thinking. Got to get up early to catch me out 🤔🤣

Total

Site Supporter
It’s the sweeping out of the LGV at the end of the day that would confuse me Mark. I mean …. Where would you plug the sweeping brush into ? See …. Always thinking. Got to get up early to catch me out 🤔🤣
I'm out fishing and laughing my head off here at your above comments!...'plug in brooms!' Lolol. :love::ROFLMAO: