Partridge Lakes - Coveys

Okay here goes

Arrived at about 6 40am for a gate opening at 7am.

Many cars before me, but I can't fault the staff, it was flawless. Anyone familiar with partridge simply check out their Facebook for a video on how this new routine works

Stroll around and as I'm with 2 housemates, find (technically) 6 as we need to leave a gap

I took peg 73 on covey 3, it has a view to the island, and a small footbridge about 11metres away.

I set up, re elasticate a kit in record time (F1 orange) and get to work

Bites come in fast. During elastication I was feeding maggot lose hand dead ahead to 7 metres.

After an hour I begin feeding up the bridge I mentioned earlier.

So a few good hours pass of some solid catching at 7 metres to a depth of about 2 foot. Solely using double red maggot, throwing in 5-6 whilst I play a fish.

Around noon it goes overcast and eith it the fish stop. Nobody on the lake is catching.

Prior to this I must have had about 20 ide, 15 F1, 3 common and 1 mirror carp.

I decide to swap my top kit over to a NG amber black, and as I'd continually fed this bridge area for about 5 hours. Set a shallow rig, about 12 inches maybe? And I give about 2 foot of play room next to the bridge. Don't fish under it, death trap.

This spot is ridiculous.

I got bites, but no takes on maggot.

I opted to swap to chopped worm.

It begins

For 2 hours, from about 2pm-4:30pm (had breaks in between) I am catching F1, mirror and common like no tomorrow.
Every single put in was a fish. No question.

My end totals, where I ended up stopping counting was....

77 F1 from 1lb-4lb
17 common carp
6 mirror carp
1 perch
30+ ide easily
1 barbel (he was tiny)

Photos to be added

I wrote the above on my phone.

So for actually fishing covey.

I had a F1 Orange, to a .15 line, down to a 18 hook.

Fishing double red maggot, initially of a depth of 2 foot, which was about 6 inches off of the bottom, based on when I plumbed it all out (7 metres ahead of me.)

When the weather brightened up, i swapped to a shallower rig, of depth of about a foot and about 2 inches between dacron + float to cause a nice tight line, got a lot of self-hookers.

I had my rig set up to get the bait down, no need to drop it slowly, i wanted it in and the float cocked asap so i could see line bites etc incase I needed to change up depth.

For the bridge section. I used a rig with about 10 inches depth, again .15/size 18.

Chopped worm and double maggot work well. Feeding over some groundbait, but very little and not often, maybe 3 handfuls an hour.

It's truly an easy fish, some fantastic fish in there, I do feel like puller kits are a must, without them, the bonus lumps when using the F1 orange wouldnt have been possible (but I landed them, ty to whoever invented side pullers)

A fantastic day in all.

J W

John
Site Supporter
Had a cracking day on Covey 5 yesterday. Fished soft pellet and meat and caught mainly F1s and commons 1-4lb all day.
Went down the edge just after lunch and it was mental - a fish a chuck all afternoon - I went home knackered.
It was only my 2nd visit to Partridge but was really impressed with the place and the organisation was fantastic.

sampower

Partridge is great isn’t it. I couldn’t fish there every week (too many people around sometimes) and I like the tranquility of fishing which can be scares here but you can’t beat it for F1/snake lake fishing. Match wise, there’s nowhere better!

Pole-Fisher-90

Site Supporter
Partridge is great isn’t it. I couldn’t fish there every week (too many people around sometimes) and I like the tranquility of fishing which can be scares here but you can’t beat it for F1/snake lake fishing. Match wise, there’s nowhere better!

Did you get your shuttle adapter sorted mate?

Pole-Fisher-90

Site Supporter
Yeah mate Burscough Angling have ordered it in for me, thanks for your help on that one Actually worked out how to load it so it’s sturdy on my way home yesterday though haha

No worries I go in there all the time and know Chris well who runs it .. glad your sorted, it will always be better with the adaptor just need to measure it when it comes so it sits right ?? I’m going partridge Friday for a session

sampower

No worries I go in there all the time and know Chris well who runs it .. glad your sorted, it will always be better with the adaptor just need to measure it when it comes so it sits right ?? I’m going partridge Friday for a session
Yeah Chris is great, helped me with a few things! Gonna fish Coveys 1-4 in next week or so myself, never fished them don't fish the opens so keen to have a go

Pole-Fisher-90

Site Supporter
Yeah Chris is great, helped me with a few things! Gonna fish Coveys 1-4 in next week or so myself, never fished them don't fish the opens so keen to have a go

My favourite lakes there, why don’t you fish the open matches mate?

Swim Jim

Formerly: jjpendurocomp
Site Supporter
I’ll probably fish partridge next week. Only been twice last year both times fished Holbar.
What are the other lakes like apart from the Coveys. How busy has the complex been this week regarding social distancing. After some of the nightmare stories I’ve heard I might wait until initial excitement has worn off.

J W

John
Site Supporter
I’ll probably fish partridge next week. Only been twice last year both times fished Holbar.
What are the other lakes like apart from the Coveys. How busy has the complex been this week regarding social distancing. After some of the nightmare stories I’ve heard I might wait until initial excitement has worn off.

When I went on Saturday everyone seemed to behave themselves social distancing wise and it was well organised. Coveys 1-4 and Holbar were busy/sold out. If you are planning on going it would be worth booking early as tickets are now available on the website up to next weekend and Coveys 1-4 and Holbar sell out quickest. You book the lake package you want and it's first come first served for pegs. You can also order your bait on line with your ticket and it's ready for you at the collection point when yo get there.

If you do end up going, have a great day pal.

Swim Jim

Site Supporter
When I went on Saturday everyone seemed to behave themselves social distancing wise and it was well organised. Coveys 1-4 and Holbar were busy/sold out. If you are planning on going it would be worth booking early as tickets are now available on the website up to next weekend and Coveys 1-4 and Holbar sell out quickest. You book the lake package you want and it's first come first served for pegs. You can also order your bait on line with your ticket and it's ready for you at the collection point when yo get there.

If you do end up going, have a great day pal.
Yep I’ve been keeping an eye on lake bookings. I had planned booking a couple of days before. Thanks for the heads up on behaviour it fills me with confidence (y)(y)
As I said I fished Holbar last year great days fishing. Went mental at the end carp moved right in. Took some spare of the moment footage. Don’t slate me but the fish was larger than expected and I had to try and get the rest of the pole on. Hence the terrible fighting angle of the top two :eek::ROFLMAO: was exciting though;)
View attachment IMG_0504.mp4

Hey

Partridge has been my go to for the past year.

Willow is okay, was better before they merged it with the other lake who's name I've forgotten.

Coveys are most definitely their go to lakes, they are the lakes garbolino, maver and fish o use for their qualifiers and with good reason.

I think the canal could work very nicely, marsh if I recall correctly.

I like willow personally, but I must be honest i struggle fishing it - but only tried 3 times in past year.

I am open for DMs if you want a chat about what I've learnt so far about the lakes? I only go with my.brother and I'm the significantly more experienced lol

Some images.

Is the silvery carp like fish a F1? I struggle to identify them

Attachments

• 20200515_111200.jpg
    20200515_111200.jpg
    676.1 KB · Views: 10
  • 20200515_101430.jpg
    20200515_101430.jpg
    648.1 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG-20200515-WA0000.jpeg
    IMG-20200515-WA0000.jpeg
    397.2 KB · Views: 10
  • received_2447990182168569.jpeg
    received_2447990182168569.jpeg
    221.2 KB · Views: 10
  • received_240686377347968.jpeg
    received_240686377347968.jpeg
    349 KB · Views: 10

Swim Jim

Site Supporter
Hey

Partridge has been my go to for the past year.

Willow is okay, was better before they merged it with the other lake who's name I've forgotten.

Coveys are most definitely their go to lakes, they are the lakes garbolino, maver and fish o use for their qualifiers and with good reason.

I think the canal could work very nicely, marsh if I recall correctly.

I like willow personally, but I must be honest i struggle fishing it - but only tried 3 times in past year.

I am open for DMs if you want a chat about what I've learnt so far about the lakes? I only go with my.brother and I'm the significantly more experienced lol
Thanks Chris I’ll let you know where I book I’m taking my lad with me get him off the Xbox! ?