Particles for Irish Bream

Status
Not open for further replies.

Simon R

Site Supporter
I'm off to Ireland in 10 days and at our latest pre-ireland discussion, we were discussing what we should put in our groundbait this year.

We'll be taking the usual things - sweetcorn, casters and trout pellets but what else have people used over there?

We've tried pigeon conditioning mix previously and sheep pellets (I dunno whats in them but they stink) but neither seem to make a lot of difference. We've got a bag of flaked maize (left from last year) waiting for us at the digs but apart from that I'm open to suggestions.

One other thing - has anybody tried using corn oil (Mazzola) in their groundbait mix?

Tight Lines

Simon

scouse

'River Man'
hi simon R
the one you have forgotten
is real fish meal
you can get it from food merchants
were fellas who keep pidgeons get there stuff,
just mix it with your brown crumb
corn and aditives
hope this helps

dave
scouse (and proud of it)

G

Simon try some scopex addative to your ground bait, one of the lads with us this year used only brown crumb and scopex.
In his mix he had caster,white maggot and on the times chopped worm, and he got the biggest bag of bream,,70lb

i'm going to bait up
Andy

Simon R

Site Supporter
Thanks guys

I'm not sure about the fishmeal Scouse, our local animal feed place doesn't sell it anymore (something to do with BSE or F&M i think).
We have used it in the past though (it was only about 8 for 25kg) - does anyone know where I can get some?

I've got some of that VDE liquid scopex toma - that the stuff he was using?

Cheers

Simon

Edited by - Simon R on 22 July 2002 11:28:12 PM

Ziptrev

05/10/01 - 18/10/02
In Memoriam
http://www.haiths.com/finished/index2.html

Theres a link to Haiths Simon,

They sell it and do a quick delivery

Cheers

trev

Ziptrev
Shouldn't happen to a DOG!

Simon R

Site Supporter
Thanks Trev

Its gone up in price a bit!
Just checked that link - its nearly 30 for a 25kg sack!

I'd better check with the other lads before I buy any

Simon

scales

Vinny
Hello Simon, Try Dessicated Coconut from your supermarket as an additive the bream and hybrids love the taste of the stuff. Give it a good soaking first or it will float to the surface (as I found out this year!!) also try Pearl Barley (requires soaking too),PV1 binder and fishmeal carp pellets all added to your brown crumb makes a brilliant and inexpensive balling in mix.

Cheers mate,

Scales.

Enda

Hulk
Forget the fishmeal, it just does not work on Irish Bream. They don`t know what it is as no one over here uses it in their mixes. If you want to try some thing different, try stewed wheat, it is cheap and does not take that much preparation, just soak in a bucket with loads of hot water. You can also try Calf Nuts, these have molasses in them and everyone knows that bram love molasses, again soak them in warm water to break them down, I would go for a mix of plain brown crumb mixed with calf nuts and flaked maize.

G

Thats the one Simon,icon_smile_big.gificon_smile_big.gif

i'm going to bait up
Andy

G

Welcome to the M/Ds Edna, have fun and enjoy, hope you have got some tips for the M/Ds, we have a lot of members who visit the Emerald Isle, once again Edna a big welcome

i'm going to bait up
Andy
icon_smile_big.gificon_smile_big.gificon_smile_big.gificon_smile_big.gif

Edited by - toma on 23 July 2002 6:41:12 PM

Enda

Hulk
Not to sound rude but Edna is a girls name, Enda although it looks similar is a mans name, plus the fact I`m 6ft 8 and hit the scales at 22 1/2 stone means i`m quite a big guy as well. But hey that mistake has been made 100`s of times in the past. Thanks for the welcome, i was a regular as some of you will already know on another site but it became too boring for me, this site is already much better.

Stu Dav

Davi
Enda

You be as rude as you like, Toma loves it.

Don`t you Toma, Toma Toma Where`ve you gone............TOMA.

Nice one Enda.
All the best
Stu Dav :)

Ziptrev

05/10/01 - 18/10/02
In Memoriam
Cead Mile Failte, Enda,

Hope these matchmen look after you as well as I was cared for over there!

Trev

Ziptrev
Shouldn't happen to a DOG!

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
quote:Not to sound rude but Edna is a girls name, Enda although it looks similar is a mans name, plus the fact I`m 6ft 8 and hit the scales at 22 1/2 stone means i`m quite a big guy as well

.... I like this guy already, welcome aboard Enda icon_smile.gif

Regards, Dave

(PS. Come to think of it, I haven't seen toma for a while ever icon_smile_big.gif lol)

Enda

Hulk
I must admit, I am dumb struck at the welcome I have had, thanks guys!!

G

Was i rude, so what i dont careicon_smile_evil.gificon_smile_evil.gificon_smile_evil.gif.
On the other hand 6'8" and over 22 stone, nah i dont believe you Edna, nice one mate'ess, pleased to see someone who likes a bit of fun.
icon_smile_approve.gificon_smile_approve.gificon_smile_approve.gif
See you lot i havent done a runnericon_smile_wink.gif

i'm going to bait up
Andy

splodger

SIMON,
I would'nt go to the emerald isle without my Brasem but you probably take that anyway!
Also try some liquid corn steep liquor, you can get it in various flavours at around four quid a bottle and it could make a difference to your catches.

Where are you going 'cos we are off to Belturbet in six weeks and we need a bit of inside info!

Last and most important question, can anyone tell me how much is a pint of the old black stuff now they deal in that euro-nonsense?

SPLODGER.

"A bad days fishing is better than a good days work".

Simon R

Site Supporter
Cheers Lads

Well i'm even more confused than ever now icon_smile_big.gif
So I need fishmeal, pearl barley, coconut, calf nuts and stewed wheat (not forgetting scopex, brasem and liquid CSL)
Does anyone have a 10-ton truck I can borrow?

Seriously though, thanks for the ideas - I think we're gonna stick with one of the cereals (wheat or barley) along with the flaked maize that we already got (unless the mice have scoffed it) and possibly the calf-nuts.

I'll save the scopex and brasem etc for my feeder mix - think it might get a bit expensive if we start prebaiting with that stuff.

I wonder if we can purchase the cereals and calf-nuts etc over there?
There must be animal feed places somewhere in Cavan or Monaghan.

Tight Lines

Simon

splodger

Please excuse my ignorance, but what are calf nuts?

SPLODGER.

"a bad days fishing is better than a good days work"

Simon R

Site Supporter
Actually Splodger I'm not 100% sure whats in them icon_smile_blush.gif

But I have heard of them being used for pre-baiting previously, when you soak them they go all mushy (a bit like flaked maize) and you just add them to your brown crumb. basically I think it 'ups' the food content of your pre-bait (and hopefully holds the bream until you come back the following morning)

icon_smile_shock.gif I've just remembered - one of the spots we fish is in the middle of a cow field - they'll all be diving in the lake after our pre-bait

Simon

Status
Not open for further replies.