PARTICLE MIX

Status
Not open for further replies.

RoyC

Hi
Can anybody please give me any Particle Mix Recipes

Thanks Roy

(Just moving this into Fishing Talk - Dave)

Last edited by a moderator:

Simon R

Site Supporter
Rather than a recipe you could do worse than buy a sack of pigeon conditioning mix from your local animal feed stockist.

Contains loads of different seeds and pulses and just needs soaking for 24hrs before use - and more importantly its only about a fiver for 25kg.

Simon

crusty

Hi Roy
if you find the particles too big in the pigeon mix, try the various feeds they do for canaries and finches also budgie food.
I go to a pet supplies and get mine. they work out at 99p/kilo. This season i experimented with canary conditioning feed which is black and smells of aniseed and loose millet, which is tiny and golden.

I mix it thus...

a two gallen bucket with lid

put in...
half a bag of the black aniseed stuff
half a bag of millet
a full bag (kilo) of hemp
a handful of dried maize

Then i pour boiling water over the lot, put on the lid, and let it stand 24 hours.
Then i pour the water away, add more, and boil the mix in a very large pan, for about half hour, or until the hemp is well open, when it cools you are left with a very sticky mix, ready to use or freeze.

when i'm on the bank I then add chopped boilies, micro pellets, and if i'm balling it in, as much crushed hemp as i can get in and just enough brown crumb to bind it.

I found this keeps fish in and around the swim all day.
good luck

crusty

esox.20

04/11/01 - 12/10/15
In Memoriam
I do very similar to crusty. I buy various bird seed mixes and wheat and groats. Hemp I prepare seperatly and when cooked its bagged up and frozen. The seed mixes are then mixed soaked cooked and again bagged up. All the seeds have an Archie Braddock flavour added at the soaking stage. Doing it this way I can then vary the mix, pure hemp on lakes say or a complete mix for on the river. The percentages vary as I feel are required.

chill out go fishing

Newt

'Lures Rule!!'
Interesting mixes guys.

What would you suggest as the best substitute for hemp? Can't get it here. Illegal substance and the narcs would put me away if they found me with a bag.

Newt Vail

MALC

Newt

You've probably all ready done it but check with your grain supplier as the Hemp we use in fishing is the same stuff as used for feeding various Birds and is treated so it will not grow into the Drug plant, so you may find that you can get some.

Then again i may be totally wrong.

MALC
IT'S CATCHING ...BUT ARE YOU !!!

Newt

'Lures Rule!!'
Malc - some states over here are starting to look at the issue and a couple have even passed very recent laws allowing cultivation and use of hemp if using seeds with very low TCH content.

My home state isn't among them though. The laws here dealing with hemp are not reasoned things but more knee-jerk reflex bans. Sort of hemp=drug=bad=illegal. No provision made for sterile seed, seeds with very low TCH concentration, or anything else. And bird food sold here can't contain even a smidgen of the stuff.

Newt Vail

Simon R

Site Supporter
Funny enough Newt, there's still a few clubs and fisheries over here that have the same attitude "hemp=drug=bad=illegal".

I think it runs along the lines of 'I can't be bothered to learn how to use it and/or cook/prepare it so why should anyone else?'

Much the same as restrictions on bloodworm, wasp grub etc

But don't get me started on the topic of bait bans cos that's one subject that really makes me mad [:(!][:(!]

Simon

Lid

I do not know a substitute for hemp, Newt, but this link suggests that there are cooked hemp variants available for fishing in the US. It doesn't mention restrictions in different states, but maybe the author doesn't know this. [?]

http://www.geocities.com/yosemite/rapids/8155/Pictionary/BAIT.HTML

Lid - formerley known as Leighton [:)]

Newt

'Lures Rule!!'
Lid (said while ROFLMAO, gasping, and generally making a fool of myself) - thanks for that link. Wonderful how information travels around the internet and how easy it is to ignore or just not find stuff.

That page is owned and maintained by Oatmeal Jack and I post regularly to a carping email list where he is a mod. The bait shop, Wacker Baits, is owned by another of the regulars, Paul Pazella. In Chicago, IL and over 1000 miles from me but Paul does lots of mail order and except for a strange liking for Fox gear, he is good people.

And I never knew Oat recommended and Paul sold and PESCAVIVA distributed a "hemp" seed made from marijuana seeds. Have to ask them since I'm sure that at least Paul knows the regulations for most states.

Thank you for pointing me to that one. Proof positive that the internet is shrinking the world.

(edit note - emailed Paul with the question. Got the following response and have ordered some of this lovely stuff along with a particle mix he does up that also has some)
quote:Hemp seed is legal everywhere in the USA, it is 0.00% THC. I have both canned Pescaviva hempseed at $3.00 per can and dry seed at $11.59 for a 5 lb bag. The dry needs to be cooked, canned is ready to use.

Both products are imported and are declared at customs so the government does know all about it.

Paul Pezalla
www.wackerbaits.com
Bait, tackle & technology for the dedicated carp angler.
339 Harrison Street
Oak Park IL 60308
708-660-0866

Newt Vail

Last edited:

Lid

Well Newt, don't be getting any ideas about gene splicing to see if you can turn it into Cannabis Indica. You might make a hash of it. [:D]

Lid - formerley known as Leighton [:)]

Status
Not open for further replies.