Part 1 - Barbel Behaviour!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ricky24

Rich
Oh forgot to say that on my last part I will be taking you all fishing with me on the banks of the Trent, not literally of course just cyberly (word?) and showing you my methods and tactics to catch the Barbel. This will include pics and illustrations for the novice anglers out there. That should be in early August. Thanks again for reading!

tricky10

a fantastic read Ricky [:T] if this is going to be like a mini series I am sure that it will be a sticky in no time [:D]

Ricky24

Rich
Originally posted by tricky10

a fantastic read Ricky [:T] if this is going to be like a mini series I am sure that it will be a sticky in no time [:D]

Thank you and I hope so as a large part of why I do this and share the secrets I have found are to help others. To help the novices live their dreams and catch a Barbel and if I help people with that by my articles than I am happy. Maybe also letting the more experienced learn something they don't yet know or see something they haven't yet saw.

So would love, after I finish to have these articles made into a sticky. Thanks for the support mate, much appreciated!

Last edited:

Fishnets

What a great read and insight Ricky, thanks.
How would you approach the Thames (Oxon), deepish and wide. If any sort of feature presents it's self would you just keep regular casts going in with big feeders, even an hour or so with out a hook link and just try to 'pull' fish up stream.
Would you target the same spot and try to get fish used to an area producing food so they frquent it more?
I have some spots in areas that do hold barbel, maybe not in big numbers, but who knows it is a big expanse of water.
I'm even thinking of regular PVA bags of pellets, hemp and oils, weighted with a stone just to try and create a flow of free offerings?

Ricky24

Rich
Originally posted by Fishnets

What a great read and insight Ricky, thanks.
How would you approach the Thames (Oxon), deepish and wide. If any sort of feature presents it's self would you just keep regular casts going in with big feeders, even an hour or so with out a hook link and just try to 'pull' fish up stream.
Would you target the same spot and try to get fish used to an area producing food so they frquent it more?
I have some spots in areas that do hold barbel, maybe not in big numbers, but who knows it is a big expanse of water.
I'm even thinking of regular PVA bags of pellets, hemp and oils, weighted with a stone just to try and create a flow of free offerings?

Hi mate,

Fishing to features are always a pull, a draw if you like that lures you there. While fish frequent these areas especially during the hottest and clear weather during conducive conditions I look for underwater obstructions/features. It is always worth trying to pull fish towards you, like I said in my article they will move towards the source but not as far in conducive conditions. I have had them come right onto the feeder when they're really havin' it. Confidence the fish gain from feeding and not disturbing the shoal is invaluable but it's not for the faint hearted. It takes a lot of patience, time and effort.

Usually I will feed via a catapult if I want fish from downstream to follow it upstream, I will however use a bait dropper if targetting fish a few yards away, say 10 to 15 yds. I use Big feeders yes but not to get bait down usually only to keep topping it up. If you imagine a conveyor belt in a supermarket well this is usually how quick your free offerings are being washed downstream.

Yes constant feeding will bring fish to the area or spot more without a doubt mate, or pre-baiting should bring quick results if your mission was to get the biggest from the shoal.

Do not use PVA it's an expensive way to get bait down mate. Get a bait dropper it will do a better job trust me. Whilst PVA mesh will do a job in steady flow the bait won't stick around in fast water long enough. I have seen a few Bob Roberts articles and came across this, it will show you what's wrong with PVA mate and what I am saying.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PG9JykFDyj0

I would suggest to feed 25 droppers of pellets and hemp at once, leave for 10 mins then fish over the top of it with a pellet. I will speak about this in the second part in more detail. Don't catch anything after 30 mins feed another 10 to 15 droppers full. Keep it going in, Barbel fishing begins and starts there and you get that right you'll catch more fish for definite. Thank you for your comments and good luck with your fishing.

darrengeorge

speci-ish
Barbel flashing isn't exclusive to spawning.

Nice post, makes me want to return to barbel fishing. And I thought I had kicked the habit..

Interested to hear about this presentation, wonder if it's similar in principal to the rig I use for carp on the rivers...

ATB

mal777

Very interesting read and I agree with what he has said but has anyone experienced barbel swimming upstream when you play them. When you are not sure what you have hooked. It can sometimes pay to drop a feeder 10ft downstream of your feed zone to pick up any fish that may have backed off or become preoccupied downstream. Thanks Ricky

Ricky24

Rich
Originally posted by darrengeorge

Nice post, makes me want to return to barbel fishing. And I thought I had kicked the habit..

Interested to hear about this presentation, wonder if it's similar in principal to the rig I use for carp on the rivers...

ATB

Lol I used bad choice of words for that behaviour thinking about it it's definitely not exclusive to spawning. I had spawning on my mind, my wife just told me she was pregnant, lol.

Last edited:

Ricky24

Rich
Originally posted by mal777

Very interesting read and I agree with what he has said but has anyone experienced barbel swimming upstream when you play them. When you are not sure what you have hooked. It can sometimes pay to drop a feeder 10ft downstream of your feed zone to pick up any fish that may have backed off or become preoccupied downstream. Thanks Ricky

Yes in my next article I will be covering this behaviour of sorts and my presentation of doing exactly what you have described and catching them in one go. Will be posting tomorrow part 2 but there will no pics initially until I get back to Nottingham and get next to my gear to show you and the others who maybe interested. Usually the bigger Barbel that swim upstream I have found though. Thanks for kind words mate it's nice to know what I am trying to get out there is appreciated.

Ricky24

Rich
Originally posted by darrengeorge

ATB

Lol, well lets hope not or you'll know my secret rig, lol. I have never seen this rig used within a coarse fishing capacity so we'll see.

steve1080

what a crackin read, i do a bit of river fishing mainly for the chub on the upper dane. i have been up to middlewich to target barbel with no success as yet so will try to put some of this in to my fishing thanks again. ps mods any chance of making this a sticky?

Ricky24

Rich
Originally posted by steve1080

what a crackin read, i do a bit of river fishing mainly for the chub on the upper dane. i have been up to middlewich to target barbel with no success as yet so will try to put some of this in to my fishing thanks again. ps mods any chance of making this a sticky?

Cheers mate. My next instalment tonight should help in getting those Barbel in your net, look out for it!!

chrishorobin

Brilliant read Ricky, i have just started to get back out on the Trent this season after the Barbel,i have had a few out biggest about 8lb,looking for my first double this season, some great info in there looking forward to the next installment.

Codger

Great Post Ricky
I love Barbel fishing...when I first caught one I could.t believe how strong they were...add to that the fact that they are such stunning looking creatures and you have a recipe for the best fish in our rivers (IMO)
Look forward to your next instalment.

Status
Not open for further replies.