Parcel company’s that insure fishing rods for loss/breakage

Paulg84

Hi people does anyone know of any parcel company’s that will insure fishing rods for loss and damage? Basically I have a few rods I am selling for a friend they are fly rods in the main.I have just sold and packed one last week only £40 inc postage,it was a travel rod daiwa,the case was a hard case but I wrapped it in bubble wrap,but then also put it in a cardboard box for extra protection.Brand New these rods are the buyer said the tip section was in half when received! He as either not liked the rod I think are swapped his broken one over.Now the thing is he is sending it back but I’ve basically lost £40 and also paying his return postage great! But some of these other rods are worth £100 are so being honest I feel like finishing them and not bothering because the rod above and these the parcel company’s won’t insure them if you will! Is there any that insure them you know of please? There must be some right scams going on swapping broken pole sections over etc.Ebay always supports the buyer aswell.

mickthechippy

space cadet
Staff member
Site Supporter
my parcel depot will ask you the value of an item and what it is,

then offer you an insurance option as to the item and value, it costs extra but gives you peace of mind

i then either phone, text or e mail the recipient and ask if he wants that option,

Last bigvalue item was a table saw, and was insured with a value of £500, think it cost about £12 on top of the carrier fee

Paulg84

Thanks the thing is when I put fishing rods in it says fishing rods are prohibited for cover sent at own risk this is for parcelforce and many others that I can see.Could I ask who you used please? Maybe can check this company? Thanks for your help

Philocalist

Mick, are you talking Royal Mail parcel depot, or somewhere else? Thought RM refused to carry stuff (rods) over a certain length at any cost?

Paulg84

Royal Mail (parcel)force) will carry rods up to 150cm which is fine but they won’t insure fishing rods,fishing’s rods are on the restricted list for compensation they will send but refuse to cover for loss and damage.

squimp

Site Supporter
I sent some recently with Tuffnells. They were booked thru interparcel.

i paid extra for as much insurance as needed. A 2m tube with cover for £100 Cost roughly £20.

mickthechippy

space cadet
Staff member
Site Supporter

adriang

Site Supporter
I've sent a number of rods and poles with UPS. First time I got them as the second cheapest through the parcel2go site, other times it was cheaper to just book direct. I think this depends on the dimensions and weight. They offer £50 initial cover and it is possible to increase it accordingly. (Cheapest, by a couple of quid) was Hermes, but I won't use them.

Markywhizz

Clueless member
Site Supporter
I also use UPS. They will insure anything but it is quite expensive insurance. I sent a £2000 guitar and the insurance was about £60.

Davethefish

Site Supporter
I've sent a number of rods and poles with UPS. First time I got them as the second cheapest through the parcel2go site, other times it was cheaper to just book direct. I think this depends on the dimensions and weight. They offer £50 initial cover and it is possible to increase it accordingly. (Cheapest, by a couple of quid) was Hermes, but I won't use them.
Totally agree Adrian, Hermes for receiving are an absolute nightmare . The amount of times I have found deliveries from them lying on my doorstep, in the front garden and the bins ( I suspect they don't have a list of everyone's refuse collection days ) is astonishing, especially when you factor in that I live in a busy area of London. Sadly of late Amazon have started to use them. Would not touch them with someone else's, they should be re-branded Herpes, they're just as f***ing annoying. The recent hikes in the cost of sending rods are making the 2nd hand market less viable on them. Used to be able to get a rod sent with UPS today for a tenner and not that long ago.

adriang

Site Supporter
Totally agree Adrian, Hermes for receiving are an absolute nightmare . The amount of times I have found deliveries from them lying on my doorstep, in the front garden and the bins ( I suspect they don't have a list of everyone's refuse collection days ) is astonishing, especially when you factor in that I live in a busy area of London. Sadly of late Amazon have started to use them. Would not touch them with someone else's, they should be re-branded Herpes, they're just as f***ing annoying. The recent hikes in the cost of sending rods are making the 2nd hand market less viable on them. Used to be able to get a rod sent with UPS today for a tenner and not that long ago.
2 weeks ago, the f*****rs lost an Octoplus platform I scored on eBay. How does that happen?. not exactly something small.. Of course money back via PayPal, no issues there, but they're not exactly common.

trotter2

That's funny because when I last used UPS they said they do not cover rods
Only found out this afterwords at my own expense. Give me the run around first

Davethefish

Site Supporter
That's funny because when I last used UPS they said they do not cover rods
Only found out this afterwords at my own expense. Give me the run around first

They didn't, that's why they were sent as 'Carbon tubes'. Very few couriers will cover for ' fishing rods' and say in the small print that they will be sent only at the customers risk.

trotter2

They didn't, that's why they were sent as 'Carbon tubes'. Very few couriers will cover for ' fishing rods' and say in the small print that they will be sent only at the customers risk.
All got back was the postage cost Dave. And that was a struggle must have cost me more in phone calls. I will never use UPS again.

adriang

Site Supporter
All got back was the postage cost Dave. And that was a struggle must have cost me more in phone calls. I will never use UPS again.
WIth insurance, you never know how good they are until it's time for a claim. Thank fully I've not had an issue with them, but they certainly were not shy in taking the insurance money, even when I specified that the packages contained rods/poles.

Looks like I won't be using them again for rod carriage now I know this.

trotter2

Dave just think what would you do if in the unfortunate event the rod managed to get broken. If you are insured for carbon poles.don't think you will get any joy when they find out it is in fact a fishing rod. So potentially you insurance would be invalid.

GeoffW

Site Supporter
I sent a pole out yesterday via UPS
It was delivered this morning in perfect condition
It was packed inside PVC drain pipes.

rudd

Site Supporter
Hi people does anyone know of any parcel company’s that will insure fishing rods for loss and damage? Basically I have a few rods I am selling for a friend they are fly rods in the main.I have just sold and packed one last week only £40 inc postage,it was a travel rod daiwa,the case was a hard case but I wrapped it in bubble wrap,but then also put it in a cardboard box for extra protection.Brand New these rods are the buyer said the tip section was in half when received! He as either not liked the rod I think are swapped his broken one over.Now the thing is he is sending it back but I’ve basically lost £40 and also paying his return postage great! But some of these other rods are worth £100 are so being honest I feel like finishing them and not bothering because the rod above and these the parcel company’s won’t insure them if you will! Is there any that insure them you know of please? There must be some right scams going on swapping broken pole sections over etc.Ebay always supports the buyer aswell.
You have been scammed.
Tips do not just break (unless acolytes ???)
Always take pictures when packing and use a uv pen to mark items.