Paraffin Stove

Sportsman

Site Supporter
Part of our ground floor was added after the underfloor heating was installed, so I have been looking for something to heat it. Have been using a 2Kw electric heater, but doesn't seem to do much, so I was looking at a paraffin stove, like this one.
Amazon productLast night I was browsing and saw one on a Black Friday deal reduced to 145Euro. from 266euro. and couldn't resist it. I see it is back to 266 today.
Now I am waiting for it to be delivered, but I have never seen one like this, let alone used one. Has anyone got one or used on that can reassure me I haven't just wasted my money?
Thanks

Dave Spence

MD virtual champion 2020. Golden Pie winner 2018.
Site Supporter
I think most paraffin stoves are pretty reliable as there are so few working parts.

It used to be one of my favourite chores as a kid; fetching paraffin from the local hardware shop, I loved the smell of it.(y)

Hope you have a warm cosy winter mate.

Sportsman

Site Supporter
I remember having one as a kid. The only form of heating in our council house was an open fire in the front room. We had a radiant paraffin heater in the back room and I remember that it worked OK but the smell was pretty bad. I hope that is not the case with this one. All the reviews I have read seem pretty positive.

banksy

Life Member
Site Supporter
When I was a kid on the farm, we had paraffin heaters under the boxes where newly hatched chicks were raised.
The smell nearly knocked me out, Lord knows how those little cheep cheeps survived!
But I also had a decent paraffin heater in my horrible cold digs when I was at college, and that was a godsend.
We didn't consider the fumes, the place was so bad there was a constant through draught.
Should these heaters have external venting?

Looks like a good deal you've got anyway, at 3.2 Kw it should do the job! (y)

Wise Owl

Account Locked
I remember as a kid with one in our maisonette, warm as toast smelt lovely and the advert went, bum bum bum bum Esso Blue ??

Chervil

Site Supporter
We only had a gas fire in the lounge in the flat, that I grew up in, so on a Sunday the Aladdin Paraffin heater was put in the dining room to warm it up for Sunday lunch. I can remember the windows running with condensation.
s-l640.jpg

We have an ironmongers in the town which has been in business since 1869. I went in for something and commented on the smell. The owner said that a lot of older people mention it. He sells paraffin.

mickthechippy

space cadet
Staff member
Site Supporter
We only had a gas fire in the lounge in the flat, that I grew up in, so on a Sunday the Aladdin Paraffin heater was put in the dining room to warm it up for Sunday lunch. I can remember the windows running with condensation.
s-l640.jpg

We have an ironmongers in the town which has been in business since 1869. I went in for something and commented on the smell. The owner said that a lot of older people mention it. He sells paraffin.

there you have it, mum used to stick one of those very same ones at the bottom of the stairs to send a semblance of heat upstairs

and yes, condensation, foe every litre of parrafin you burn, you put approximately a litre of water in the air

Wise Owl

Account Locked
1574876437139.png

This is exact the one we had, my old lady used to put the tea pot of tea on top with its cosy on to keep warm (y) (y)

Trogg

the bouncer
Staff member
Site Supporter
I think most paraffin stoves are pretty reliable as there are so few working parts.

It used to be one of my favourite chores as a kid; fetching paraffin from the local hardware shop, I loved the smell of it.(y)

Hope you have a warm cosy winter mate.

I used to love going to the esso garage, dropping in the token you had to get from the cashier, pushing the big silver button to fill the glass jar thing and then pulling it to release the parafin into the can, walk back to the house, take the heater out of the surround and slowly pour the blue stinky into the hole watching the little stars turn gold as the tank filled up :)

I actually miss those days, now it's all prepacked stuff in plastic tubs :(

This was my grandads stove, the old triangular/square kind of shape aladdin one.
s-l1600.jpg

mickthestick

Hod job
Site Supporter
Where do you get Paraffin from nowadays , used to be the local hardware shop when I was a kid but not seen any for years

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
I used to love going to the esso garage, dropping in the token you had to get from the cashier, pushing the big silver button to fill the glass jar thing and then pulling it to release the parafin into the can, walk back to the house, take the heater out of the surround and slowly pour the blue stinky into the hole watching the little stars turn gold as the tank filled up :)

I actually miss those days, now it's all prepacked stuff in plastic tubs :(

This was my grandads stove, the old triangular/square kind of shape aladdin one.
s-l1600.jpg

I used to have one of those in my greenhouse where I used to live. Did a cracking job.

Chervil

Site Supporter
Where do you get Paraffin from nowadays , used to be the local hardware shop when I was a kid but not seen any for years
As I said we've still got this shop in the town. Been in business since 1869. I needed a couple of small bolts, so took one in. The owner told me what size etc it was, turned around and took the 6 I needed out of one of the old wooded drawers behind him, before popping them into a brown paper bag. I love the way the front step has worn down over the years.
unnamed.jpg

Trogg

the bouncer
Staff member
Site Supporter
I used to have one of those in my greenhouse where I used to live. Did a cracking job.

My grandads was in the crapper, it was an outside one and used to freeze in winter, it was lovely sitting down to a nice warm bakelite seat instead of an ice cube :D

I had to search through the aladdin heaters to find that photo, the only difference between my grandads one and the one in the photo is the colour of the front panel,my grandads one had the light blue front panel which for some unknown reason seemed to be the only part of the heater "box" that never got hot i remember as a kid thinking it must have been made from some special kind of metal :D

mickthestick

Hod job
Site Supporter
As I said we've still got this shop in the town. Been in business since 1869. I needed a couple of small bolts, so took one in. The owner told me what size etc it was, turned around and took the 6 I needed out of one of the old wooded drawers behind him, before popping them into a brown paper bag. I love the way the front step has worn down over the years.
unnamed.jpg
No hardware shops near me anymore all gone to the wall , it's B&Q or Wickes where you have to buy in multi packs even if you only want 1 or 2 items , it's use them or lose them I suppose

Sportsman

Site Supporter
Quick update on the stove.
We have been running it for a couple of days now. The heat it puts out is nothing short of remarkable. I massively exceeds my expectations. Running costs seem to be about half the price per Kw/hr of an equivalent electric heater.
If anyone has a need for a backup heat source for any reason, I can strongly recommend on of these. (y)