paltalk (message for dave)

Status
Not open for further replies.

scouse

'River Man'
Hi Dave

I have tried to uninstall Paltalk. I have taken it off the hard drive but everytime I start up my pc it comes up with a problem with the Paltalk Shortcut bar, as it is uninstalled, how can I stop this message coming up everytime I switch the PC on?

Thanks

Dave (Scouse)

Ziptrev

05/10/01 - 18/10/02
In Memoriam
Me 2 Dave,
did Trogg load us a virus with that link lol.
Ive deleted everything from everywhere I can find em, including the recycle bin.
Switch on and a damn torch starts searching for paluninstall!

Thanks!

Trev

Ziptrev your resident alcoholic2.gif

Go to your control panel,click on add/remove and see if it is on there.if not click on your c..drive(my computer)check on your cookies..Some programs u have 2 manually remove your self..

Let me know if it works...

The bigger the better...

scouse

'River Man'
Hi Original G

I have had a look on C:/Cookies and can't find anything to do with Paltalk on it. I have already gone to Add/Remove programmes and it is not there but still the shortcut bar comes up when I switch on.

HELP!!

Dave (Scouse)

Newt

'Lures Rule!!'
Check in your start-up folder for PNetAware. If you find it, remove the shortcut.

If you don't find anything there, try clicking start~run and running msconfig. (some operating systems won't have it so if you don't I will offer another option but it isn't as simple). See if you have any programs auto-starting that you either don't want or haven't a clue about. You can uncheck them without danger. Easy enough to run it again later and re-check any you do want.

Newt Vail

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Here goes, please print this and follow the instructions exactly as you see them:

In Windows 95/98,
  • Click the 'Start' button
  • Click the option - 'Run'
  • Type - regedit ,into the text box and click 'OK'
At this point DO NOT touch or open anything other than:
  • Click the + at the side of the folder - HKEY_USERS
  • Click the + at the side of the folder - .Default
  • Click the + at the side of the folder - Software
  • Right Click the folder - Paltalk
  • Select Delete and delete it

Once you've done that Click the X at the top right of the window to close it.

Before you start, its a good idea to back-up your Registry now and again. To do this, type Scanregw into the text box that you will see after clicking the 'Run' option in the Start menu, click 'OK' and when prompted, agree to back up the Registry
If you need to restore a previously backed up registry you should type Scanregw/restore into the same text box.
This is extremely useful if you really scr#w up and need to run Windows in Safe Mode to get the PC to work icon_smile_big.gif

Dave

Edited by - Dave on 20 January 2002 5:29:16 PM

scouse

'River Man'
hi dave
thanks a million
for the infoe if we meet your on for your ale
thanks again
dave(scouse) beer-toast1.gif

scouse

'River Man'
Dave

Have done as you said and there is no folder named Paltalk. What should I do now???

Dave (Scouse) cursing2.gif

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Hi Dave,

Go to Start > Find > Files or Folders .. and put - paltalk in to the 'named:' box. Click 'Find Now' and tell me what you've got

Dave

Trogg

the bouncer
Staff member
Site Supporter
VD????

Alan
You've just been moderated

Ziptrev

05/10/01 - 18/10/02
In Memoriam
Dave,
I get 'there are no items found in this view'

Ziptrev

05/10/01 - 18/10/02
In Memoriam
And further Dave,
I carefully printed and followed your clear instructions ref regedit, (bravely , but with quivering lip1)
OK to stage + at side 0f Software
There is NO folder here called Paltalk!
still get searching for Paluninstall when signing on!
good ole AOL!

Ziptrev

05/10/01 - 18/10/02
In Memoriam
Newt
I found pnetaware by searching files & folders under C drive, but it wouldnt let me delete the programme.
I created a shortcut instead and then deleted this, Gonna re boot and try again.
What fun!

Ziptrev

05/10/01 - 18/10/02
In Memoriam
And having done all this I am still getting the 'Windows is searching for Puninstall.exe' flag come up asking me to browse to find it!

Ziptrev

05/10/01 - 18/10/02
In Memoriam
Doin my head in, look at the time!
I found under C/windows /temp Paltalk, palsetup/paluninstall and pnetaware
Sent em all to recycle bin
Flag still came up!
Went into recycle bin deleted em all!
Flag still came up
Searched again and said nearest file under C/Windows/VCMUI
went in and found absolutely no files in VCMUI!
Flag still comes up
For Sale 1 trogg adapted computer! Cheap

Geoff P

The MOGerator
Staff member
Site Supporter
Couldn't sleep so thought I would run maintenance on computer.
Trev,
I'm running Norton Anti Virus but cannot find one called "Trogg".
Will you tell them or shall Iicon_smile_big.gif

Geoff
If it swims, catch it.

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Update time:

Put your PC in a brown paper envelope and send it to me and I'll return it once I've copied all your 'hidden' files icon_smile_tongue.gif

Here is the e-mail for Paltalk's support, support@paltalk.com , I've mailed them this thread and we'll see if they can step in.
Chances are there is a Paltalk folder in your registry but unless you know what you are doing don't touch it.

If they don't respond give them an e-mail yourself and include your PC type and browser (ie OAL) and see if they can help out.

icon_smile.gif Dave

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Just received an automated reply back off them. They don't supply e-mail support anymore unless you pay them $9.95

Here's a few things off their FAQ's:
  • Q. Why does Paltalk automatically start up when I connect to the Internet?
    A. Click on the PalTalk icon in the your System Tray (in the bottom right corner of your computer screen) and select Manual Start. If you do not want PNetAware to run in your taskbar, remove it from your windows / startup directory. You can still run PalTalk by clicking it's desktop icon
  • Q. How do I uninstall Paltalk?
    A. Newest versions of PalTalk are shipping with an un-installer included, so just run that. If you don't have an un-installer, just deleting the Paltalk folder is a-ok.

What may be a good idea is to down load Paltalk again then once installed go to- C>Windows>Start Menu>Programs>Paltalk> and click the uninstaller

And try again, Dave

Ziptrev

05/10/01 - 18/10/02
In Memoriam
Thanks Dave,
Went back as suggested and Re-downloaded Paltalk under Ziptrev1, cos it suggested that, as Ziptrev was already registered!
It didnt throw up the icon shortcut!
I went into C/Paltalk and selected puninstall and it told me it would be completely removed and I had to back up any files I wanted to save
I clicked ok completely remove and it said it did!
Switched off and back on again and Success!
I no longer have a flag saying that It is searching for the missing shortcut puninstall.

Instead I have a flag saying it is searching for the missing shortcut pnetawarexe!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
It finds it under C/Temp
Any way of getting rid of this 1?
Cheers
Trev

Status
Not open for further replies.