P.B. chub on the Ribble

Status
Not open for further replies.

phil-k

Myself and Must_be_mad fished the Ribble today after him easily beating me on my local Irwell during the week.
On arrival we walked down to our favoured barbel swim only to find it was already taken and someone was even playing a barbel to the net.
So we had a wonder upstream and found some faster water being channelled down the river through a gully.Must_be_mad waded up to the head of the run where the current was strongest and I waded in further down in the current.I had the first fish which was a small sea trout around 1/2lb.
Must_be_mad then had something much bigger and skilfully played it on light tackle ;
100_1067.jpg
The chub went 4lb 9oz and without hesitation he put me into his swim which was slower water on the outside of the strong current.After 15 minutes I too was into a good fish and the result was a P.B.chub:
100_1068.jpg
After this we went in search of river roach but these seem to have gone from this stretch of the river but we had some great dace fishing.[8D]

Last edited:

rsbrett

Resident Expert.
Well done lads cracking fish thumbsup.gif

Im yet to catch a Ribble Chub that is anything less than scale perfect, they all seem to be pristine!

must be mad

Good day ,two decent chub from a stretch of river that looked good for white water rafting in Canada and in the torrent of a current the chub felt like Steelheads ''HONEST''.

The river looks great just needs some settled weather , she's weed free so it's easier than normal to pick the little glides and gullies out , the barbel seem to be quiet and as phil said the roach have gone in to hiding .

Another thing was we got our rod licenses checked ''wonders nether cease'' the EA bloke looked like he was off to Iraq fully equipped with a flack jacket and numerate side arms , mentioned to him about a farmer who uses the river as a sluice for all the rubbish from his farm , he said it had been reported loads of times but nothing gets done [V]

Again cormorants seem to be back in numbers not seen many for 3 years but quite a few lately '' thats where the roach have gone [:(]

rsbrett

Resident Expert.
Good to see the EA are out and about on the Ribble. Everyone I have spoken to down there have said they have never been asked to produce a rod license or a permit!

must be mad

Even said himself he does not get on the stretch much these days ''too busy'' I asked did he get much hassle ''been in the river a few times ''
when asked why he said ''just hold on to people when they try to throw me in and we both end up in '' [:0]

rsbrett

Resident Expert.
Originally posted by must be mad

when asked why he said ''just hold on to people when they try to throw me in and we both end up in '' [:0]

Lol, I have always said the same if I were to become involved with an undesirable! Got to admit, its a long way from help if your down there on your own trying to remove people.

must be mad

Been asked to bailiff the Ribble but it's not worth the hassle , although the thought of jumping in as crossed my mind a few times [:)]

rsbrett

Resident Expert.
Its something I have always fancied doing, but like you say, a lot of hassle comes with the job! Plus the fact its a 60 odd mile round trip when we go, I cant see the 'reasonable expenses paid' staying 'reasonable' for long [:p]

wandererfc

well done to you both on the chub some cracking pics there [:D]

phil you seem to be getting better and better i bet them double figure barbel are not to far behind you now,i will keep a look out for the pics [8D]

Bricktop

Snap
nice one phil and must be mad [8D] I must have been just upstream from you again. I didn't see the EA guy though. Perhaps he didn't fancy wading out to me? The farmer that uses the river to discharge his rubbish. Is that the farm on the opposite bank just below the bridge?

good fishing guys [:D]

crusty

Good fishing Phil thumbsup.gif A pair of cracking fish.
I've not had any over about 3lb so far this season, but then i've had some luck with the roach so can't complain [:)]

crusty

must be mad

Yes bricktop its the one on the opposite bank , mentioned it to my cousin who works for the EA but nether reported it officially until Saturday and have felt a little guilty about it at times but the EA bloke just said keep reporting it until something happens , same goes for anything you see fishing out of season ect. smash2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.