Over Thinking the Method Feeder

MrTencherson

I’ve got a foolproof method with the method feeder. Give it 10 minutes, no bites, chuck it up the bank and pick up the pole or waggler rod........ 😀. Or better still fish venues where it’s banned.

I reckon I could count on one hand the number of fish I have caught on it....... maybe I missed the halcyon days of it being a devastating way to catch.
Totally depends on the venue I've found. One commercial i fish it really is a devestating, it beats any other method I've tried. Even the owner of the lake says it's the best way to fish that lake. Whereas a club lake I go to it's absolutly useless, you can pick up the occasional fish but it's not very effective at all.

I have a suspicion it is because the commie has a hard, rocky bottom wheras the club lake has a very silty / rotten leafy type bottom so the method feeder just dissapears into all the crud.

Horses for coarses

Al

notneeded

The 1st pie winner 2019
Site Supporter
There's a video out by Andy Finley fishing packington and all he uses is a 4 MM expander ,he goes on to say he never uses a hard bait any more on the method ,worth a look even its just to past some time in lock down .

gingert76

Facts, Stats & Evidence!
Site Supporter
most important bit for me is the accuracy of casting after that its dead easy. 99% of the time its single or double maggot for me either on the hook or on a band, makes 100% sense for me as the lighter the bait the easier it is sucked up, you see it all the time on the underwater films. though i also use wafter bandems in the winter or when silver fish as a nuisance and i want a target bait

Total

Site Supporter
Must admit, until I read your post I wasn't aware you could get wafters as small as 4mm. Who uses these and with what size hook set up etc.?
The Ringers "Mini Wafters" are marked up as '4mm size' on a label on the bottom of the jar....They measure up more like 6.5mm dia by 7 mm long!

I'm using a 14MWG hook with a Guru bayonet, the hook sits flat and the Mini Wafter sits prone above the hook as it is supposed to. I bayonet the wafter on the end....(y)

Maesknoll

Chris
Staff member
Site Supporter
Totally depends on the venue I've found. One commercial i fish it really is a devestating, it beats any other method I've tried. Even the owner of the lake says it's the best way to fish that lake. Whereas a club lake I go to it's absolutly useless, you can pick up the occasional fish but it's not very effective at all.

I have a suspicion it is because the commie has a hard, rocky bottom wheras the club lake has a very silty / rotten leafy type bottom so the method feeder just dissapears into all the crud.

Horses for coarses

Al

I suspect that is the case, couple of places I fish it’s not allowed, some of the others are silty, it’s never going to work if it sinks in the silt, silty venues are the trickiest, I think the fish just don’t want to be down there a lot of the time.

OldTaff

Site Supporter
I’ve got a foolproof method with the method feeder. Give it 10 minutes, no bites, chuck it up the bank and pick up the pole or waggler rod........ 😀. Or better still fish venues where it’s banned.

I reckon I could count on one hand the number of fish I have caught on it....... maybe I missed the halcyon days of it being a devastating way to catch.

I wonder if it’s dependant on venue and exposure to the technique?

My local free lake is stocked solely with carp & when I happened upon it last year looked like it was fished by adults & kids alike with full on multiple carp rigs (buzzers & boilies) or floating bread, no one was even trying a float or pole of any description.

I saw a Des Shipp video on the method feeder, picked up the bits he recommended and had a session. It felt like I was emptying the place! In a 3 hr session I finished up with 26 carp banked, a handful of doubles with the biggest 13lb 3oz and shed loads in either the 4-5lb bracket plus maybe half a dozen 1-2lb.

Since then I’ve yet to blank on the method there although I’ve changed approach significantly from 8mm wafter, 35g flat bottomed feeder & size 14 QM1 to a 15g banjo, size 16 QM1 & twin dead red maggots as the temperature has plummeted.

I would imagine that hard fished commercials must be a nightmare to approach because the fish have seen everything used over & over & over again.

gingert76

Facts, Stats & Evidence!
Site Supporter
i also love fishing a 1inch piece of work in a band, has got me bites when other hookbaits have failed

Line Clip

Its comes across loud and clear you dislike fishing the method feeder, from many of your posts, If you could empty the lake with it, and win loads of matches I feel you would still not use it as a method for catching fish. turning to the pole every time.

I get that and totally understand, we are all different in our ways , I am just a old club angler but love fishing the method feeder and any
sort of feeder come to that.
When the dedicated pole anglers win there matches on our water I like and enjoy listening to the banter, and congratulate them on there wins
but if I or any other angler was to win on the feeder, its a different story,
There always seems to be that thing that method feeder fishing is easy, no skill attached, Jammy last resort thing, I suppose you could say boring I just don't
know, all I know is I enjoy it, as do many others. :)

robert d

Allways trying to improve
Site Supporter
There's a video out by Andy Finley fishing packington and all he uses is a 4 MM expander ,he goes on to say he never uses a hard bait any more on the method ,worth a look even its just to past some time in lock down .
I used to fish jpz on a bayonet ,great results some days ,single or double ,punched meat to ,where allowed .I said earlier a 4mm expander can be deadly ,its a suck it and see with the feeder because you can go the other way and put a hard 8mm on and whack ,tip goes around . Im going to try 2mm expanders next on a small bayonet or double 2mm expander .

Maesknoll

Chris
Staff member
Site Supporter
Its comes across loud and clear you dislike fishing the method feeder, from many of your posts, If you could empty the lake with it, and win loads of matches I feel you would still not use it as a method for catching fish. turning to the pole every time.

I get that and totally understand, we are all different in our ways , I am just a old club angler but love fishing the method feeder and any
sort of feeder come to that.
When the dedicated pole anglers win there matches on our water I like and enjoy listening to the banter, and congratulate them on there wins
but if I or any other angler was to win on the feeder, its a different story,
There always seems to be that thing that method feeder fishing is easy, no skill attached, Jammy last resort thing, I suppose you could say boring I just don't
know, all I know is I enjoy it, as do many others. :)
I have never said there is no skill to it, anglers such as Andy Kinder wouldn’t get the results they do if it was all chuck it and chance it. My comment was a bit of banter, tongue in cheek, if I was to fish a venue where winning was going to be done on the method, I would do it. It just isn’t allowed or doesn’t work on many of the venues I fish. If I go to Barston, I’ll have two feeders and a bomb rod set up, not much point going there if you aren’t prepared to do it, although the pole or waggler has its day in the warmer months.

If I owned a fishery, it wouldn’t be allowed, that would be my prerogative, I’m not convinced it is good for the fish, especially fish less than a a pound or so, that’s based on my own observations, not science.

Last edited: