Over Thinking the Method Feeder

Maverick

Site Supporter
Probably the most simple and devastating method there is for catching fish - Right? So why are there so many different theories as to the best way to fish it?

I'm sure we have all seen the Jamie Hughes video where he fished it with no hookbait on and still caught a fish. Most will have seen Nick Speed's video where he says he often uses just a single maggot, as the hook bait is incidental, and using such a light hookbait enables the hook to easily fly up into the fish's mouth as it hoovers up the bait from the feeder.

Then you have the countless other videos - where they will fish a larger stand out bait on top of the pellets or maybe an 8mm pellet on the hook.

What have you found works best for you a light hookbait with a small hook or a larger hookbait with a large size hook?

Are the fish just sucking up the pile of bait or actually targeting the hookbait?

mickthechippy

space cadet
Staff member
Site Supporter
there used to be a lad on here that was one of the better method feeder fishermen I have ever seen,

Bag up was his site name,

used his own secret mix of groundbait and a single dead red maggot as the hookbait

watching him in a match damn near reminded you of a fly fisherman the way he went about it, cast wait, in cast wait in

in the warmer months, rarely was his feeder in the water longer than a minute, he either had had a bite and a fish on, or was back in a loading the feeder again, was almost poetry to watch, feeder hitting the samish spot nine times outta ten

many a time I saw him win or grab an envelope in a match, often outfishing a lot of names that were on the pole or pelly wag

accuracy, consistancy and frequency were his secret, plus the mystical groundbait mix

Line Clip

Its my favorite style of match fishing, 2020 was a good year for me on the method/ hybrid ,
Tried all sorts of baits, and hook sizes, on our match pool,
Dynamite NICK SPEED Washters yellow 7mm 4inch guru QM1 14 HOOK. bayonet hair rig
Match fishing on one of our local commies with F1 and Carp I found alternating between the above
and a 5 mm with a QM1 16 HOOK, bayonet hair rig.
I have a lot of confidence in the Wafter style hook baits, but sweetcorn is always on the bait table.
Whether the carp are sucking up the pile of bait, or the hook bait, I don't know but I think the
Wafter comes away from the feeder, as I don't like the 2mm to squashy and sticky .

Silver fan 82

My personal thoughts are that the bait isn't all that important. I think the pile of groundbait or pellets are seen as a quick meal.

Keith Sparky

My personal thoughts are that the bait isn't all that important. I think the pile of groundbait or pellets are seen as a quick meal.
Last season fishing my local club water for F1 on a method a change from a yellow or green wafters to a pink was like light and day with bites much quicker and more plentiful....its enough to do your head in at times but the change of colour was so effective as to not be ignored

OldTaff

Site Supporter
Method feeder has been a revelation to me since my return to fishing - I watched Des Shipp tutorial, did everything he said and I’ve caught, caught and caught even more.

Preston in-line feeder, QM1 size 14 ready tied, 8mm banded Hook Um wafter in fluoro, Supercrsh a Robin red feeder mix & 2mm stiki pellets - have yet to fail to catch

Godber

Priapism! ladies?
Site Supporter
I was never convinced that colour and hookbait type really mattered, believing the fish just gulped the lot down. Then l fished an MD's match at Lindholme. Spent the first couple of hours scratching for bites, banded pellet of various colours, corn, 2 dead reds. When l switched to 2 dead whites, casting to the same spot it was a fish a chuck. Went on to win the match. Convinced me to experiment a bit and not sit and wait.

Silver fan 82

Last season fishing my local club water for F1 on a method a change from a yellow or green wafters to a pink was like light and day with bites much quicker and more plentiful....its enough to do your head in at times but the change of colour was so effective as to not be ignored
Definitely something to think about. Finicky creatures at times are fish.

Lee Richards

Site Supporter
Over thinking the Method Feeder.
No, as without trying new options things become stale and you restrict your options.

The double edge sword of the internet.
Anyone can easily access information to make changes but it lessens the probability that the angler will think and try things for themself.

commieboy257

Account Locked
I think many if not all of the latest designs of method feeder are simply reinventing the wheel.
what I have found to matter is the bait. I have had most success with Ringers 8mm pink wafters, occasionally having to switch to yellow.
that's it apart from on the odd occasion I used a bit of flavouring on top of the pellets, and the best one I found there was Drennan Yum Yum bait booster in shellfish extract.

Lee Richards

Site Supporter
Best way to address the over thinking is to fish a Commie full of starving fish.
One a chuck,300lb in just a few hours and no skill and effort involved. 👍

Stress free and relaxed 😂

Maverick

Site Supporter
When I first got back into fishing over 10 yrs ago one of the first videos I watched was an Andy Findlay video he did with David Hall

I did exactly as Andy showed and used the 8mm Sonu S - Pellets. Caught more carp than I can remember back then and it was so easy fishing tight to an island.

Times change and fish do wise up to certain methods and tactics. Although I still catch carp on the method I don't catch them in the numbers I used to do and I'm always watching and listening for good advice in an attempt to better my catch rate.

You never stop learning in this game.

Last edited:

MrTencherson

I agree that you can catch without a hook bait if the fish are hungry, I tried it myself and it worked but... I do find the hook bait does make a difference with what I catch.

In the summer I used 8mm halibut pellets and caught mostly carp. If I charged that to 8mm Robin red I got mostly bream.

In winter the hard pellets don't seem to result in as many fish as when I use the smallest 4mm white or bright pink wafters.

All the time I use the same mix of 2mm micros and groundbait 60:40

I also noticed a big difference between a regular method feeder and the hybrid presentations.

It definitely pays to try different things I've found. I've not tried meet or bread on the method yet though...

Al

Maverick

Site Supporter
I agree that you can catch without a hook bait if the fish are hungry, I tried it myself and it worked but... I do find the hook bait does make a difference with what I catch.

In the summer I used 8mm halibut pellets and caught mostly carp. If I charged that to 8mm Robin red I got mostly bream.

In winter the hard pellets don't seem to result in as many fish as when I use the smallest 4mm white or bright pink wafters.

All the time I use the same mix of 2mm micros and groundbait 60:40

I also noticed a big difference between a regular method feeder and the hybrid presentations.

It definitely pays to try different things I've found. I've not tried meet or bread on the method yet though...

Al
Must admit, until I read your post I wasn't aware you could get wafters as small as 4mm. Who uses these and with what size hook set up etc.?

robert d

Allways trying to improve
Site Supporter
When I first got back into fishing over 10 yrs ago one of the first videos I watched was an Andy Findlay video he did with David Hall

I did exactly as Andy showed and used the 8mm Sonu S - Pellets. Caught more carp than I can remember back then and it was so easy fishing tight to an island.

Times change and fish do wise up to certain methods and tactics. Although I still catch carp on the method I don't catch them in the numbers I used to do and I'm always watching and listening for good advice in an attempt to better my catch rate.

You never stop learning in this game.

A 4mm expander can be deadly on a bayonet. Most hookbaits will work but you need a few different ones to change as well as working out what feeder works best on the day and whether its micros or groundbait or a mixture on the day

MrTencherson

Must admit, until I read your post I wasn't aware you could get wafters as small as 4mm. Who uses these and with what size hook set up etc.?
I use these things

Amazon product
on a Guru QM1 (14) with a bayonet.

Another great thing about them is they last ages! The other day I had 4 F1's on a single wafter without changing it as I was catching in quick succession and the hook bait was still in good condition, so i thought why change it? The fish certainly didn't mind :D

Last edited:

Maesknoll

Chris
Staff member
Site Supporter
I’ve got a foolproof method with the method feeder. Give it 10 minutes, no bites, chuck it up the bank and pick up the pole or waggler rod........ 😀. Or better still fish venues where it’s banned.

I reckon I could count on one hand the number of fish I have caught on it....... maybe I missed the halcyon days of it being a devastating way to catch.