Out of touch

Dave Spence

MD virtual champion 2020. Golden Pie winner 2018.
Site Supporter
I’ve just been reading the ‘running rigs’ thread, that, combined with a chat I had earlier with youngest brother in law (Chris) has made me realise how out of touch I am with current trends. All this talk about slack line, tight line, heavy bobbins, swingers etc etc has gone so far over my head it would take the Hubble telescope to see it. IMHO the only bit that catches the fish is the business end with the hook on it. I was always taught to fish as simple as possible whilst still ensuring that a) you can present your bait right b) you can reach the desired area and c) you can see the bites. The aforementioned chat with Chris (a strictly carp only angler) was after he was moaning that he had been bothered with bream all last night. I asked him how big they were and he replied 5 or 6 pounds!!! I told him that I would be over the moon with a catch of bream of that size (he’d had 8 of them). He explained that after every fish he had to tie a complete new rig on, including new lead. Apparently his hooks are so sharp that if he retrieves they will blunt on the bottom. In addition, every time he gets a fish his lead is ejected from the rig. He reckoned that those 8 bream had cost him about €30 in terminal tackle. I am absolutely gobsmacked, tackle dealers must be laughing all the way to the bank.

RedRidingHood

Site Supporter
When your spending hundreds of pounds just to access a lake, then spend a bunch of cash on boilies, particles, and other bait in general to spend days, upwards of weeks on the same lake to potentially catch just a couple of fish, an extra £50 on lost terminal tackle which gives you a massive edge on retrieving hooked fish seems a trivial amount of cash.

I used to be a critic of it, but when someone explained it that way it made a lot more sense.

Carp fisherman are a different kettle of fish. While it bores me to death, ive gotta give them my respect on the pure passion for the sport.

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
It was raised as an issue last year by the ATA and another angling body iirc

Shadrack

Seems like exactly the kind of practice which would put the general public against angling, imagine the outcry about anglers dumping multiple huge leads in the water every time they fish.

I’ve heard about using natural stones as lead replacements which is better, but it still seems wasteful and unnecessary.

gingert76

Cebu, Philippines
ok, so anglers have been dumping leads for decades not just years and ive yet to see any issue on any lake, ive seen issues on lakes with tethered carp when rigs havnt dropped the lead (same as i have seen all manner of dangerous rigs out there), doesnt mean it shouldnt be reviewed on a regular basis, same as all things should be reviewed regularly!

So not all anglers use "huge" leads, hate how all angers get tarred with the same brush in all disciplines of sport, i used 1 and 2oz 99% of the time, actually used bigger feeders in match fishing! no all anglers drop the lead on the take, yes it is a trend but not all anglers follow the trend.

Just let people fish within the rules and how they like to fish, if it is found to be a issue then it should and would be banned.

As for changing the hooks after every fish, again thats a trend, doesnt mean we all do it and i used to sharpen all my hooks before each cast. The next bite could be from the fish of your dreams so nothing wrong with checking that everything is 100% in your own mind before you cast out!

Deejay8

Site Supporter
Lead is a toxic material, dropping leads should not be allowed!
You are correct that lead is very toxic, although in water it actually looses it toxicity. It quickly develops a non toxic coating as the exposed surface almost instantly oxidizes. In aquarium keeping, we use lead strips to hold plants into the gravel, and even in a closed environment like that, it doesn't poison the water or the fish. It's why it's legal to use tiny lead shot and large lead weights when fishing.The only lead shot and weights sizes banned are the size that waterfowl are likely to purposely eat to help their digestion,as it's a similar size to gravel, which they need in their crop. It was the sight of swans sick with lead poisoning that prompted the ban on large shot.
But you are right, it shouldn't be allowed. It's still a waste and leaving stuff in the water that shouldn't be there. It means that lead, which is an endlessly and easily recyclable material is having to be mined and imported, which has an impact on the environment. Lead is so easy to recycle, we can do it at home, by melting it on the hob and casting new lead weights in moulds.

Total

Site Supporter
@Dave Spence ....Re Your brother in law, 'Chris'....I was wondering if Zebra mussels were a bloody nuisance on the waters he fishes?.....Hence the constant retackle and hook changes....:unsure:

A long time since I've fished in Ireland but they were a cause for much pain then.....:rolleyes:

Dave Spence

MD virtual champion 2020. Golden Pie winner 2018.
Site Supporter
@Dave Spence ....Re Your brother in law, 'Chris'....I was wondering if Zebra mussels were a bloody nuisance on the waters he fishes?.....Hence the constant retackle and hook changes....:unsure:

A long time since I've fished in Ireland but they were a cause for much pain then.....:rolleyes:
Possibly mate, I'll have to ask him.

rudd

Serial Blanker
Site Supporter
ok, so anglers have been dumping leads for decades not just years and ive yet to see any issue on any lake, ive seen issues on lakes with tethered carp when rigs havnt dropped the lead (same as i have seen all manner of dangerous rigs out there), doesnt mean it shouldnt be reviewed on a regular basis, same as all things should be reviewed regularly!

So not all anglers use "huge" leads, hate how all angers get tarred with the same brush in all disciplines of sport, i used 1 and 2oz 99% of the time, actually used bigger feeders in match fishing! no all anglers drop the lead on the take, yes it is a trend but not all anglers follow the trend.

Just let people fish within the rules and how they like to fish, if it is found to be a issue then it should and would be banned.

As for changing the hooks after every fish, again thats a trend, doesnt mean we all do it and i used to sharpen all my hooks before each cast. The next bite could be from the fish of your dreams so nothing wrong with checking that everything is 100% in your own mind before you cast out!
Well said Ginger.
I do not know many anglers who set rigs to dump leads as it becomes expensive.
If fishing into weed or on weedy waters yes it’s necessary.
If fishing BIG fish (low stock) waters where a bite may happen once a session/week/year - yes I can understand the angler not wanting a lead bouncing around.
As for hook sharpening 🤯
It’s necessary if hook becomes blunt but why spend a fortune on super sharp ptfe coated hooks, then ruin them by trying to get sharper?
Seems it’s a trend set by certain carp angling superstars with interests in JAG.
Again if on that BIG fish water, it could give an edge but for your average Joe it’s a pointless (PUN intended) exercise imo.