Out of Stock - What's the short / medium term outlook

The one and only Harvey

He lives well who hides well
Site Supporter
Do you have 600 small.float stops ?
If not a deal can be reached ?
I've got 285 small float stops, 255 medium float stops, and 98 Grippa stops. 638 float stops altogether. All Drennan. So I should be fine in the float stops department!

pies

Site Supporter
Short term everyone is in the same boat
Medium term big boys will get the stock. This will make it very difficult for small tackle shops to survive ?

Ken the Pacman

Site Supporter
Mainly true but well out with the shipping / logistics part.
In normals times, order/manufacture/shipping/distribution - your talking three to four months minimum.
Ands thats on premium fast steam services with less ports on routes, going faster, using more fuel - hence freight costs expensive compared to six to eight week services.
Airfreight way to expensive for fishing tackle.
China has a massive backlog of worldwide orders for this that and the other.
Plastic wise PPE is being given priority world wide.
Several E class vessels arrive into UK per week from Far East - full of Essentials and back !ogged stock.
I was referring to stock already held in the Uk or Europe in the post taking three to four weeks to be delivered to the shop not from the manufacture point. China is generally quoting 6 months from point of order on fishing tackle to delivery to Uk according to several people I have spoken to last month while chasing up back orders.
I am glad that ship docked as we have had 7 or 8 deliveries of back orders this week already with more to follow.

Scribe

Official Supplier of Pork Pies to the Drowners
Site Supporter
Mainly true but well out with the shipping / logistics part.
In normals times, order/manufacture/shipping/distribution - your talking three to four months minimum.
Ands thats on premium fast steam services with less ports on routes, going faster, using more fuel - hence freight costs expensive compared to six to eight week services.
Airfreight way to expensive for fishing tackle.
China has a massive backlog of worldwide orders for this that and the other.
Plastic wise PPE is being given priority world wide.
Several E class vessels arrive into UK per week from Far East - full of Essentials and back !ogged stock.

In some ways I am glad I got out of the shipping/freight forwarding business - how does that Chinese curse go - 'May you live in interesting times !'

As if the uncertainty of Brexit wasn't enough to deal with, then along come Covid 19 just to add a bit of cream on the cake. :rolleyes:

It would be interesting to see what happens to freight rates over the next 6 - 8 months as the demand rises, that is if Chinese factories scale up production to cause the demand.

mickthechippy

space cadet
Staff member
Site Supporter
This is the Model of Korum chair I mentioned thats going spare

its about 10 years old and is the original version in olive green with the older korum logo as pictured,

its clean, and unstained, couple of small marks from use and storage, the hieght adjustable legs though do have markings from where they have been tightened

it comes with a small side tray which stores in the back, there is also a small zipperd bag thing there built in for small items and the carry strap, I also have the preston feeder arm that easily fits on it and a couple of balling hook-arms which i will bung in for another £5

add is from 2005 if you look at the price !

Last edited:

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
There certainly wasnt much in stock 6 weeks ago but it does seem to have gradually improved a bit over the weeks since as things have edged towards something half resembling normality.

mickthechippy

space cadet
Staff member
Site Supporter
its gone to the first asker

mr Yosemite Sam will be the one with a comfy bum ;)

MartinWY

Site Supporter
Just as a point of reference for this discussion and not because I'm rubbing anyones noses in it, these korum chairs seem to be quite in demand but I bought one about 2 months back.

I was in Bobco and asked to look at one. The young lady told me she'd just had a delivery of 4. 2 standard and 2 deluxe. She set one up for me and I tried it out. I confirmed I'd buy it. Whilst i was trying it out, another guy came and asked if he could sit in it, no probs.

The one I bought was the last one as the other deluxe had sold online minutes earlier and the two standards, one was sold to a guy standing behind me trying one out at the same time and the other over the phone just prior. They had been in stock for merely hours and already they had a guy standing (or sitting in my chair actually) who wanted to back order. Thats just the ones I knew of in that space of time.

Situation was crazy but Bobco were doing their absolute best to provide good service. I really like going there, the staff enjoy their jobs and can't seem to do enough for you. You literally get a personal shopper if you ask even in the middle of a pandemic. Can't grumble at that.

On another note, a bloke I know sells motorhomes. He whacked the price up on them all by 20% a month or so back, sold all his stock and now can't get any more at all, so faces going out of business. Serves him right?

Cobweb

Site Supporter
On another note, a bloke I know sells motorhomes. He whacked the price up on them all by 20% a month or so back, sold all his stock and now can't get any more at all, so faces going out of business. Serves him right?
Sounds to me as though this guy took a business decision that makes sense. Most traders of any standing will have an insight to, or will have quickly discovered, any changes in their market conditions. He may well have calculated that he was headed for a tough time, and a stock shortage whatever happened, so he has simply tried to accumulate a bit more cash against harsh times. Overheads continue no matter what and plenty of business managers are having to make harsh decisions like this. In my book this case doesn't sound like opportunism. Your acquaintance will likely not have been the only one who has been forced to have a chat with his bank manager about cashflow. It may even have been the bank manager that suggested it as a defensive tactic

chris1967

Site Supporter
Sounds to me as though this guy took a business decision that makes sense. Most traders of any standing will have an insight to, or will have quickly discovered, any changes in their market conditions. He may well have calculated that he was headed for a tough time, and a stock shortage whatever happened, so he has simply tried to accumulate a bit more cash against harsh times. Overheads continue no matter what and plenty of business managers are having to make harsh decisions like this. In my book this case doesn't sound like opportunism. Your acquaintance will likely not have been the only one who has been forced to have a chat with his bank manager about cashflow. It may even have been the bank manager that suggested it as a defensive tactic
i bet he's regretting not putting them up for 40% more ,they would have sold and what ever the price he would have still been waiting for stock ,people always moan about others profit making ,you know what they say about a fool and his money

That reminds me wheres my wallet

pies

Site Supporter
Nope. Those who have the money come first. Unfortunately big companies always take precedent. I remember going to a Daiwa trade day to check a few rods out. My friend owned a tackle shop. At the show all the small independent shops were basically just given the price list and blurb. But the big shops selling online were treated to Tea biscuits etc and more importantly the uk rep.

Cobweb

Site Supporter
I
Why ? Surely it's first come first served ?
Sadly not in my experience of trade shows, as an exhibitor, promoter, and a buyer. Those with the biggest budgets get the priority service and better discounts. The good thing is that I can't see those tackle shops that have survived the "squeeze (not only covid but on line competition)" losing out to this. The remaining small tackle businesses round my way are doing pretty well, and have already trimmed their sails accordingly where they must to survive. Some have worked out anew their existing deals with manufacturers

Ken the Pacman

Site Supporter
Another item which I only heard about today is a likely shortage of PVA products as this is mostly manufactured for hospital and undertakers use so soiled linen etc. can be chucked straight into the washers with the minimum of handling, again nearly all is imported from China so medical needs around the world are taking precedent.
Might be worth stocking up with a few as this has come direct from someone in the trade who cant source our product.

Cobweb

Site Supporter
Oh No! My great uncle traded in commodities which he removed from church roofs during the blitz. The betting shops benefited most from that enterprise. His descendants may be forced to rob undertakers? That's positively indecent!

Dave Spence

MD virtual champion 2020. Golden Pie winner 2018.
Site Supporter
Looking around for larger ticket items, over £50 is showing that a lot of online & bricks & mortar shops are devoid of kit. Obviously the pandemic has caused a major blockage in the supply chain. With tackle sites & shops, not putting in orders for new kit and manufacturers only able to re-start making kit, albeit with social distancing restrictions that will most likely slow down production, it's bound to be a while before stock levels are back to pre Covid levels.

I am sure that the knock on effect of shops being closed and the current economic outlook means that stock levels will be lower than what they were pre-Covid. Could we see the start of having to pre-order rods/reels etc and having to wait for them to be made & delivered ?
I worry about you mate, you've more kit than you can shake a stick at. What more could you want ?

Scribe

Official Supplier of Pork Pies to the Drowners
Site Supporter
I worry about you mate, you've more kit than you can shake a stick at. What more could you want ?

I am in the process of getting rid of some Dave. Just two seat boxes, two rods, two pole rollers and a reel to go. :ROFLMAO:
Have a Drennan umbrella due to arrive today/tomorrow - just getting prepared for the Pork Pie match. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Just need a pair of Barbel rods and a day shelter now.