Otters

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
An interesting read, but a lot of people blame Otters when in fact it's Mink causing the damage, as on my local clubs lakes. I just wish some anglers would learn the difference between the two. I've even had one club member saying he'd seen some stoats on the lakes (they were Mink).

Tinca Mad

Site Supporter
I agree @ukzero1 Mink are prolific breeders and easily out number otters.
I've seen mink hunting fish under water on a river I used to fish years ago and they are super fast and efficient.
They put the jeebies up you when you see a string of bubbles coming towards the bank you're fishing from as they can be vicious if they feel threatened.
They are also a menace to bird life too.
Alas in times gone by their numbers were kept in check..........

ukzero1

Site Supporter
I agree @ukzero1 Mink are prolific breeders and easily out number otters.
I've seen mink hunting fish under water on a river I used to fish years ago and they are super fast and efficient.
They put the jeebies up you when you see a string of bubbles coming towards the bank you're fishing from as they can be vicious if they feel threatened.
They are also a menace to bird life too.
Alas in times gone by their numbers were kept in check..........

I keep them in check alright. with a .22. There might be 3 or 4 left, but they're crafty little gits.

ukzero1

Site Supporter
No mention from Mr Shackleford though on how many otters they have on the waters he manages or how much water in length.

One article on one river does not "dispel the myth"

It would be interesting to see the results of a recent survey on it nation-wide.

Lee Richards

Site Supporter
It would but the otters impact as with other living creatures such as crays is hard to prove/disprove..
We can only go on what is known by those who are on the river over a period of time and for more than one cycle of a fish types breeding cycle.
The Kennet may be fishing well now but do they know how many of the big female Barbel they have and as said otter numbers.

My angling club has four pools and as far I am aware never had a otter problem - does that dispel the otter "myth" ☺

crackatoa

Site Supporter
We had a club water that was hit by otters. Lost over a dozen quality Carp in a short period of time. We had conclusive proof they were otters that were responsible. It cost us over £6k to fence. Worth it, if it saves breaking the law. We were lucky in that we had the funds, a lot of clubs don't

Somersetlad

If otters are not such a problem why are commercial fisheries and clubs spending many thousands of pounds on otter fencing???
Because as the article says, overstocked lakes are an out of balance ecosystem and attract predators. Try leaving a couple of teenagers alone with a freezer full of ice cream. Here in Somerset we have otters on the rivers and drains, but it's the cormorants that are the big problem.

Tinca Mad

Site Supporter
I think otters are beautiful native creatures and shouldn't be killed.
Mink on the other hand are an invasive species.
I think the solution is to agree upon how many otters can be supported by one piece of water.
Then do localised surveys of their populations and trap and move otters to other areas if over populated.

tyne angler

i totally agree with you there tinca that would be by far the best way ahead as you say there part of the river eco system and are native to us unlike mink

Lee Richards

Site Supporter
Otters won't over popuate though Steve as they are territorial and chase their young out.Relocation will only spread the problem and not enough groundwork is conducted to establish if the ecosystem can support and sustain a new addition.
Ecosystems evolve over time and to one that has not seen an otter over many decades any new otters introduced could be considered invasive.
Otters will do far more damage to a fishery than mink as by natural body size they need to eat more,they prefer to eat part of the fish so will take more and target the larger fish which are necessary for the reproduction cycle.

And lbh we can put otters where ever we like but the otters don't know yet they have to stay there ☺

Tinca Mad

Site Supporter
@Lee Richards @TonyA I did not know that information.
It's a precarious situation really all round.
I think Lee you are suggesting maybe otters should be culled which I would hate to see and I'd hate to be the one to make that call.

Lee Richards

Site Supporter
@Tinca Mad
If they were detrimental to the ecosystem such as mink or cormorants then yes their expansion should be curtailed if necessary.
Just because they are magnificent creatures does not make their threat any less.

Tbh never been one to buy into the invasive species and they belong thought process as that was then and the ecosystem could now be vastly different.
Lbh we wouldn't reintroduce crocs yet their ancestors lived here..
300lb gator on a size 18 single Pinkie ☺

Last edited: