Otters in canals

jimbo1946

Was wondering has anyone any idea if otters use canals.We have the Leeds n Liverpool canal running alongside the river Aire and whilst the river is infested with the damn things,no one l speak to has ever seen one on the canal?Anyone any ideas?

Lee Richards

Site Supporter
There always used to be a sizable community on the Birmingham canal near the Balti area.
By some strange coincidence the population crashed at the same time Tarka Masala appeared on the menu.

Apparently it was like the chicken one but otter.

PJG

Otters are on the Aylesbury Arm of the GU canal and are on the K&A canal - probably from the nearby Kennet.

Markywhizz

Clueless member
Site Supporter
When we lived on the canal we used to see otters quite regularly. I’m sure there are probably even more now.

nutmeg

Site Supporter
Last year there was a family of four otters in the Shroppie canal in between Audlem and Market Drayton, we were shown a video taken the evening before showing them at play. Hopefully they have moved on by now.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
I’m either unobservant or we are lucky around here as I’ve never seen an otter in any water. Don’t see very many cormorants either maybe as a result of almost being the furthest point from the sea. Compared to some areas I think we’ve got it pretty good on the predator from. Used to have loads of signal crayfish but luckily their numbers seem to have dropped significantly in the last few years.

Markywhizz

Clueless member
Site Supporter
I hate signal crayfish. Catch loads on a lake I fish regularly and there is a fishery rule you have to kill them. Sometimes there are loads of squished specimens all over the bank.

First time I caught one I had no idea what it was. It scared me half to death. :LOL:

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Only ever caught crayfish on one lake that I no longer fish so not sure if they are still in there but their numbers have dropped big time on the Thames. Used to get one almost every session but it’s dropped to maybe a couple a year in the last few years and last year in particular I don’t think I saw a single one. Not sure why they’ve gone but can’t be a bad thing!

Markywhizz

Clueless member
Site Supporter
I certainly wouldn’t miss them. They apparently eat large volumes of fish eggs.

RedhillPhil

Computers verified, riots quelled, wars started.
Site Supporter
I hate signal crayfish. Catch loads on a lake I fish regularly and there is a fishery rule you have to kill them. Sometimes there are loads of squished specimens all over the bank.

First time I caught one I had no idea what it was. It scared me half to death. :LOL:
Don't squish 'em, eat 'em. Three minutes in boiling salty water. Mmm-mmmm!

TonyA

Site Supporter
There always used to be a sizable community on the Birmingham canal near the Balti area.
By some strange coincidence the population crashed at the same time Tarka Masala appeared on the menu.

Apparently it was like the chicken one but otter.

Don't you mean the Chicken Tarka - like the Chicken Tikka but a little Otter.

Billy the fish 1954

Was wondering has anyone any idea if otters use canals.We have the Leeds n Liverpool canal running alongside the river Aire and whilst the river is infested with the damn things,no one l speak to has ever seen one on the canal?Anyone any ideas?
We had a couple of mink on our local water in the 90s, never seen a duck or any water birds for a couple of years, a few members said they were otters, never seen any fish remains on the bank, no flying Black Death that was a bonus