Other bits and pieces

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlythMags

I'm looking to buy an umbrella and a stove to keep me warm during these cold couple of months.

Am I right in saying (excuse my ignorance here) that umbrellas are much of a muchness?

Stoves - any recommendations or words of wisdom?

Thanks

Alan

Beebs

Hello again. Umbrellas are quite different, you can get various numbers of tilting options and some umbrellas have very much tougher material than others, but like everything else in the world, you get what you pay for. If you want heavier material, it'll cost a bit more. Nip into your local tackle shop and have a look at a few of the different ones they've got on sale, check out the fabric and see if you really need an umbrella that tilts and pivots in a million different ways.

As for stoves, the one I use is like this. But I wouldn't get it from Argos 'cos it doesn't come with a case. If you have a look in Improve Your Coarse Fishing magazine, there's a place that flogs them (can't remember who they are off the top of my head, but they have a yellow, double page ad), and they sell them for the same price of around 20, but they come with a carry case, which is useful for when its covered in sausage fat and egg yolk after a weekend session. The good thing about it is that it's really stable and got a low centre of gravity so it won't topple over if it's on reasonably flat ground.

Last edited:

BlythMags

Thanks again - I did see this stove in the Argos catalogue but wasn't sure what it was like 'in action'.

Seems canny so I'll probably go with it (with the carry case!).

anyexcuse

As far as the stove is concerned I'd agree with Beebs. They are a good design. I was very fortunate last year when my local Asda started knocking them out at 9.97 each! I bought 2 of them (with cases) and you cant fault them for the money.
I'm not the best for advice on brollies though.The one I've got is circa 1982 bought from Woolworths. It's still going strong but then again I'm not a great lover of using a brolly unless I'm pole fishing.It never ceases to amaze me though the impossible strains that some fishermen subject their brollies to i.e. in strong winds.I've seen numerous examples of the canvas ripped from the spokes due to poor pegging.Whichever one you get, if you're fishing in high winds, think is this gale worth 50 and you wont go far wrong.

Dave@Brynmill&DistictAC

mike s

Preston Flatback ES (new version) is a damn' good "brolly".
I use a MSR stove, but they're silly prices these days (over 150 for mine), but an amazing piece of kit-pan full of snow to boiling hot coffee in under 5 mins!

"Wot, no Fish!"

G

i got one of them stoves for xmas, a good few of the M/Ds use them, smashing little stove, comes complete with carry box, :))

catch me if u can
Andy,

martin.

Account Locked
hi
i think that most of us do use them stoves & they have self lighting system, & unlike the blue gaz ones have better flame control for simmering ect.
i also have a colman petrol stove which is a bit cheaper to run
& ill use this under the brolley if im sitting for a long period in extreme cold

tight lines.
martin.
talk fishing flip football

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
If anyone has a MAKRO near them and a card or access to one, they sell the stoves in cases for 13.99+vat and packs of 4 gas cannisters for 3.95+vat - or at least the one near us does

Brollies - mines an Argos special, same one for past 6 years

Dave

Beebs

There's a local camping shop near me and that sells the cannisters for 6 for 4, so they can be replaced cheaper if you look about. They last a surprisingly decent time as well. I'm always boiling up fresh coffee on the bank and they seem to go on for ages.

NoFinPhish

Mighty Cat Slayer
Check out the latest issue of Anglers mail for reviews on 6 stoves.
Cheapest one on test has an RRP of 33 but it gets the best buy rating (Coleman Alpine CPS)

JD

Status
Not open for further replies.