Osteopath

gingert76

Facts, Stats & Evidence!
Site Supporter
So i finally bit the bullet yesterday and went to see a a local osteopath for my back pain, have seen a chiropractor for a while before i moved who did a wonderful job but this was something else.

Dont know about other people but i am always confused on chiropractor v osteopath as there is never a clear definition and i thought that Chiropractor was manipulation of the bones and osteopath was the muscles! now im a tad clearer and they can both do both muscles and bones but have different training and governing bodies, but there are 4 times more chiropractors than osteopaths in the UK!

Anyway i met Austin, so we sat down, talked through things and then i had to undress and stand in front of the mirror and do some bending and leaning and he was making those dreaded mechanic sounds with ummm and hmmmm and muttering so i was expecting bad news same as when you go to a mechanic and they make those noises and i wasnt disappointed!

so he gave me a bunch of terms and medical sayings and said XYZ was wrong and he could fix it but it would hurt so be prepared! to prove his point he simply jabbed a finger into certain areas on my left and right side and jabbed specific points of the muscle to show why the right side is more painful compared to the left as i have twisted my spine and then compounded it when i shattered my left knee!

he was like a bloody kung fu master disabling me and making me wince in pain by simply jabbing a finger in teh right place! provided a brilliant explanation of what he thought was wrong with the use of his trusted skeletons and muscle imitations!

So i lay down in various positions and fair play to him we chatted all teh way through and it turns out he became a osteopath when he was in a wheelchair for 3 months, was told he will never walk again and a osteopath fixed him, he now works for the same guy who fixed him! cool story

So as we chatted he did his work and it went from fine to a little pain to me sweating like mad and swearing under my breath! at one point he poked his finger in the back of my left knee and it was like a red hot knife and i swear i saw stars!!!! but at teh end of a full on 40 minutes or hurting me he said the next day i would hurt and that will last for a few days!

At one point i was on my side and he gave me a kind of bear hug and then bounced to get his weight to click my back/bones but it wasnt happening so he said v2 was lay there and dont move, he then took a huge step back and literally jumped on me lol, that worked and a few clicks and pops went off before the other side was done, he is not the biggest of fellas and quite impressive how much force he can produce lol

i left and walked home (car wouldnt bloody start in the morning) and i felt 20 years younger, no pain at all, my left knee fully extends now and i felt fanbloodytastic but today i feel like ive done 4 rounds with Mike Tyson and it hurts, but no pain no gain and i have exercises to do every hour which i am going to do as no point him doing his hard work and me not helping!

Anyway i am massively impressed and going back next week for more torture! cant bloody wait

Yorkieboy70

Site Supporter
I used to see a nice lady osteopath, she told me the difference between her and a chiropractor is, she drives a Ford and a chiropractor drives a Porsche lol

The Landlord

Site Supporter
Great news. When I saw this private physio, he sussed that I'd put my pelvis out of joint (hospital said I'd just pulled a muscle). He linked two velcro loops...put one round his waist & one round mine. He warned me it would hurt & then he pushed me away from him, using brute force. When I came back down from the ceiling, I was able to walk out, virtually pain free.

mickthechippy

space cadet
Staff member
Site Supporter
much the same as my experience with them,

after working underground for a couple of years on the channel tunnel build, much of it in tunnels through deep frozen ground, my body was a wreck

went to see this little french fella who was in a alternative medical practice locally, booked my slots and kin ell, even though he to was a small bloke he wrapped me around like jake the snake on speed

the bit that really got me was when he started on the spine, I had to stand up and sorta fall back into his grasp, it sounded like a machine gun as he grabbed me and done what he done, I thought my back was broken for a while

staggered out of there sometimes wishing Id never heard of the place but after a while, things started working again

wish the treatments were more available on the NHS, because the course of visits severely hit the old wallet

squimp

Site Supporter
I get the joke about the Porsche. I went to see a local chiropractor and got suckered into regular appointments that appeared to be pretty worthless. I gave up after a couple of months. Previously I’d been to a guy once every 3-4 months and he was excellent. Unfortunately he moved away.

My other half goes to a different local chiro and she is really good.

Ive had similar experiences with good and bad physiotherapists and sports massage people. Try and get a personal recommendation before you visit one of these practitioners.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
I will likely need to see one in the future. I think I damaged my back working as a shelf stacker. At the time it seized up and my dad gave me some codeine as a painkiller as he'd had some for an operation he had. More recently I was doing some sit ups and my back seized up. At exactly the same time my sisters back went as well, so we went to the pub together and were both hobbling in, must have looked a right pair.

gingert76

Facts, Stats & Evidence!
Site Supporter
i cannot speak for others but actually looking into the training and what is involved i will always see a osteopath now, this has gone on since my early 20s so wayyyy too long and chiro i thought was good but this was just another level, not knocking my old chiro at all but this £42 is the best £42 ive ever spent, amazing value for money and to be fair its pretty easy to research people these days with FB and online info and this place was highly recommended

I strongly recommend you go now Zerkalo, do not wait for it to go again, mine was like a time bomb as he explained many things and all makes total sense, ive suffered years of pain and reoccurrence just putting it down to getting old and being a stubborn prick to be honest but never again!

Rick123

Site Supporter
I'm sorry buddy, but your body is not suppose to be abused like that, hence I'd only visit a physiotherapist as they don't do any of that type of manipulation. You may get some receive for a short time, but once thats done see the above person. They should also set you on a course of exercise mostly stretching and Yogi style that will strengthen those loose muscles for the LONG term. Ask me anything you need buddy, I'm an expert in pain and back problems.

Pompous git

Site Supporter
My missis has had a bad back for many years, seen this generally uncomplaining woman sit down and cry in pain, very distressing
when there is nothing you can do but feel useless.

Been to doctors and NHS physiotherapists umpteen times and got nowhere. Anyway a young osteopath started up a practice in
Ashford and we noted he was once the physiotherapist to the British Olympic judo team so he was at least the real deal so to speak.

After three very painful visits she has been pain free for best part of twenty years.

mickthechippy

space cadet
Staff member
Site Supporter
My missis has had a bad back for many years, seen this generally uncomplaining woman sit down and cry in pain, very distressing
when there is nothing you can do but feel useless.

Been to doctors and NHS physiotherapists umpteen times and got nowhere. Anyway a young osteopath started up a practice in
Ashford and we noted he was once the physiotherapist to the British Olympic judo team so he was at least the real deal so to speak.

After three very painful visits she has been pain free for best part of twenty years.
thats a long time not to speak to thee !

Sportsman

Site Supporter
Just got back from the physio, I go twice a week. It is a private practice, but heavily subsidised by the State, as long as you are referred by your GP. This time it was 40 mins in the hydrotherapy pool, followed by a vigorous massage. Cost to me €10
Feeling a bit battered and bruised at the moment, but I know I will feel better tomorrow.
Re Osteopaths, I went to see one in April 1987. 2 days later I was in hospital, had two discs removed and a year off work. I heard a couple of years later she had been struck off.
If I went to an osteopath now the first thing I would want to see would be their certificate of insurance. ;)

robert d

Allways trying to improve
Site Supporter
So i finally bit the bullet yesterday and went to see a a local osteopath for my back pain, have seen a chiropractor for a while before i moved who did a wonderful job but this was something else.

Dont know about other people but i am always confused on chiropractor v osteopath as there is never a clear definition and i thought that Chiropractor was manipulation of the bones and osteopath was the muscles! now im a tad clearer and they can both do both muscles and bones but have different training and governing bodies, but there are 4 times more chiropractors than osteopaths in the UK!

Anyway i met Austin, so we sat down, talked through things and then i had to undress and stand in front of the mirror and do some bending and leaning and he was making those dreaded mechanic sounds with ummm and hmmmm and muttering so i was expecting bad news same as when you go to a mechanic and they make those noises and i wasnt disappointed!

so he gave me a bunch of terms and medical sayings and said XYZ was wrong and he could fix it but it would hurt so be prepared! to prove his point he simply jabbed a finger into certain areas on my left and right side and jabbed specific points of the muscle to show why the right side is more painful compared to the left as i have twisted my spine and then compounded it when i shattered my left knee!

he was like a bloody kung fu master disabling me and making me wince in pain by simply jabbing a finger in teh right place! provided a brilliant explanation of what he thought was wrong with the use of his trusted skeletons and muscle imitations!

So i lay down in various positions and fair play to him we chatted all teh way through and it turns out he became a osteopath when he was in a wheelchair for 3 months, was told he will never walk again and a osteopath fixed him, he now works for the same guy who fixed him! cool story

So as we chatted he did his work and it went from fine to a little pain to me sweating like mad and swearing under my breath! at one point he poked his finger in the back of my left knee and it was like a red hot knife and i swear i saw stars!!!! but at teh end of a full on 40 minutes or hurting me he said the next day i would hurt and that will last for a few days!

At one point i was on my side and he gave me a kind of bear hug and then bounced to get his weight to click my back/bones but it wasnt happening so he said v2 was lay there and dont move, he then took a huge step back and literally jumped on me lol, that worked and a few clicks and pops went off before the other side was done, he is not the biggest of fellas and quite impressive how much force he can produce lol

i left and walked home (car wouldnt bloody start in the morning) and i felt 20 years younger, no pain at all, my left knee fully extends now and i felt fanbloodytastic but today i feel like ive done 4 rounds with Mike Tyson and it hurts, but no pain no gain and i have exercises to do every hour which i am going to do as no point him doing his hard work and me not helping!

Anyway i am massively impressed and going back next week for more torture! cant bloody wait
Its funny as well as impressive ?